Growing Spider Plants Outside

I have spider plants in my yard. Should I cut away the dead shoots left from winter to make way for new green shoots?

Best Answer

I normally grow mine outside year round and have no issues. When it starts to get a bit warmer, I'd trim off the dead shoots from the plants. Normally, you can do this in the early Spring and they should be fine. You can also wait until early Fall and take the small babies from the shoots and plant them in the soil to allow them to grow during the winter months. I'd move these indoors if you'd like to make a few more plants.

I would bring the plants inside for the winter

Yes it is a really good idea to cut off any dead shoots or stems allowing the new growth to get all the nutrients, water sparingly to start, you do not want to drown them.

Since you are able to grow your spider plants outside you must live in USDA zones 9B-11 so you do not have to bring your plants inside for the winter.

• Even in these zones, your outdoor plants will sometimes get dead spots.
  • As a general rule, Spider Plants can be trimmed/pruned anytime of the year.
  • Most gardeners recommend cutting bad spots off at the base of the plant as new shoots will grow quickly.
  • Leaving the spiderettes to grow on the ground will propagate and increase your plants. You will have to keep these trimmed if you do not want new plants in your yard.
  • Here is a comment from one master gardener:
  • Any foliage being pruned should be cut at the base of the plant. Always use sharp pruners or scissors when pruning spider plants. Remove all discolored, diseased, or dead foliage as needed. To remove the spiderettes, cut the long stems back to the base from both the mother plant and the baby.
  • Pruning your plants is a great way to restore the vitality and strength of your spider plant. The healthiest plant is one that is well groomed and taken care of. Not tending to yellow leaves will cause the damage to spread and not removing the spiderettes will cause the mother plant to become nutrient deprived. Prune your spider plants regularly for a healthy, happy plant.
  • Ad

• Here are some links with instructions on caring for your Spider Plants:
  • www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../spider-plant-ground-cover.htm
  • www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Spider-Plant

Home and Garden Gardening PruningMarch 20, 2018
📓
🌻
🎂