Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Succulents

Succulents are an excellent plant choice for container gardens. They are easy to grow, require little water, and minimal care. Add some to your houseplant collection or your garden. This is a guide about growing succulents.

June 29, 2016 Flag

My friend planted her terra cotta strawberry pot with different succulents. It looks fabulous. I have an old strawberry pot that is currently empty so I'm going to try my own version.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 5, 2014 Flag

I have a short wall between my garden and the neighbor's driveway. It is a pretty old cinderblock construction with some of the cement patches over the holes gone. I had some leftover succulent starts and decided to plant them in the wall.

I filled the openings with garden soil and added the small plants. Two seasons later they are flourishing. Right now they have their summer yellow tint on, but in the cooler months they are a pretty green.

I water them occasionally in the summer, but here in the northwest the climate takes care of the rest of the year. I may add a variety that has pretty flowers and see how it does in this setting.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 28, 2013 Flag

Hens and Chicks

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This guide is about growing hens and chicks. These semi succulents grow best in poor soil conditions, and are especially suitable for the rock garden.

July 16, 2015 Flag

Growing Purslane (Portulaca) oleracea

This is a guide about growing purslane (portulaca). Thriving in a hot, dry climate these edible plants, also called pigweed, are known for their anti-inflammatory properties.

May 18, 2013 Flag

Growing Sedum

This is a guide about growing sedum. There are many types of these succulents known as sedum. They are easy to grow and quite tolerant of poor growing conditions.

March 4, 2013 Flag

Flowering Jade (Crassula)

This is a guide about growing jade (Crassula). The jade plant is a popular succulent that is often grown as a houseplant.

November 9, 2011 Flag

An aloe plant in a pot.

This is a guide about growing aloe. Not only is aloe a neat looking plant, it has medicinal uses too. It is easy to grow aloe at home and have access to its soothing qualities the next time you get sunburned.

February 3, 2007 Flag

Are coffee grounds safe for succulents?

Lara from Santa Rosa, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Coffee grounds create an acid soil. Any plant that likes an acid environment will love these, esp camellias, azaleas and roses.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

June 5, 2014 Flag

Photo Description
A lovely display of succulents found on a garden wall in Chester County, PA.

Photo Location
Chester County, PA

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Nice that someone has planted these outside for everyone to enjoy. Thanks for a lovely photo.

Betty

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

June 2, 2010 Flag

I love to collect tiny containers (bought from thrift shops) for my succulent collections; if I see an interesting shape (plastic animal mugs, etc.) I drill drainage holes in them and fill them with succulents.

By Renee

various containers and pots

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Awesome tip. Can you please tell me what type of drill tip you use for putting holes in the ceramic stuff? I tried once a long time ago and it just shattered the container. You must have a special trick! Please tell!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

September 16, 2011 Flag

As a professional photographer, I enjoy tootling around in my off time, looking for opportunities to photograph just about anything. I recently photographed some succulents from my garden and particularly love this one. It has soft, yet very distinct contrasting color.

Source: Beth Damon Photography

By bethcriner

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

I love the colors in this one. Great shot!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes
Home and Garden GardeningJune 5, 2014
Growing Purslane (Portulaca) oleracea
Growing Purslane (Portulaca)
Flowering Jade (Crassula)
Growing Jade (Crassula)
Hens and Chicks
Growing Hens and Chicks
Growing Sedum
Growing Sedum
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 10:40:09 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.