Growing Sedum

Category Perennials
There are many types of these succulents known as sedum. They are easy to grow and quite tolerant of poor growing conditions. This is a guide about growing sedum.

Botanical Name: Sedum
Life Cycle: perennial
Planting Time: spring, summer or fall
Height: 2" to 30"
Exposure: full sun
Soil: average to rich, well-drained soil
Hardiness: zones 3-9 depending on variety
Bloom Time: summer to fall
Flower: variety of colorful star-shaped flowers
Foliage: fleshy semi-green to evergreen leaves in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors
Propagation: division in spring or fall; cuttings any time plants are not flowering
Suggested Use: groundcovers, rock gardens, edgings, borders, beds, hanging baskets and fillers
Growing Hints: Sedums come in a variety of types-from groundcovers to tall standing mounds. Start with one or two purchased plants and plan on propagating additional plants by division and cuttings. Sedums dislike wet feet so root cuttings in a well-drained medium of 50-50 vermiculite and perlite. Creeping varieties do not need to be rooted. Simply pull off a piece and pat it down in the soil where you want it to grow. Low-growing types spread quickly and make excellent ground covers.
Interesting Facts: Sedums also grow well as houseplants as long as they get 4 or more hours per day of direct sunlight or 12 to 16 hours of strong artificial light.

Can anyone give me a name for this plant that was given to me? The leaves are smooth and the flowers were light purple before they turned this deep red.

Theresa from Nova Scotia

Answers

By Pat (Guest Post)

It is red sedem. It will grow all summer then turn red for the fall.

My mom calls this "Autumn Joy" sedum

Thank you both very much for your help in identifying my plant.And the name does suit it well.

Please be aware that the bumblebees absolutely LOVE this plant. I pulled it out because there were too many around children.

This is a perrennial sedum. It will become fuller over the years and is trouble free and beautiful.

By (Guest Post)

As the one poster said, it is a red sedum not necessarily "Autumn Joy". That is just one name among many for Sedum.

By Teri (Guest Post)

I love this plant - transplanting is a snap! Trim back the tops to get a fuller plant and take that part and poke a hole and stick in the ground.

And yes, watch for the bees! If this is planted in a shady area the flower is more lavender.

By Alena D (Guest Post)

It's a sedum or as my Mom calls them "Forevers". You might know it as that.

By AK Gardener (Guest Post)

It is a cold tolerant sedum. One of the many plants with the common name of roseroot. they provide color late in the fall.

They also naturalize very well. You can take a small piece of the bulbous reddish roots/tubers and easily grow many more plants. Even taking large chunks of the roots have not hurt my plants.

I've never had a problem with insects or bees/wasps with them.

By Theresa (Guest Post)

I so appreciate all the help given to me and thanks to all the people who responded.

Anonymous

Sedum

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

It sure is nice to have fall bloomers in the garden. I live in a colder zone and our summers are short. Having flowers that bloom in the fall helps to extend the season!

By linn

Comment Like this photo? 4

What is this? It is loaded with flies and butterflies constantly, and I mean loaded! Thanks.