Growing Succulents

Category Gardening
Succulents are an excellent plant choice for container gardens. They are easy to grow, require little water, and minimal care. Add some to your houseplant collection or your garden. This is a guide about growing succulents.

I have a short wall between my garden and the neighbor's driveway. It is a pretty old cinderblock construction with some of the cement patches over the holes gone. I had some leftover succulent starts and decided to plant them in the wall.

I filled the openings with garden soil and added the small plants. Two seasons later they are flourishing. Right now they have their summer yellow tint on, but in the cooler months they are a pretty green.

I water them occasionally in the summer, but here in the northwest the climate takes care of the rest of the year. I may add a variety that has pretty flowers and see how it does in this setting.

This guide is about growing hens and chicks. These semi succulents grow best in poor soil conditions, and are especially suitable for the rock garden.

Read More... Was this helpful? 5

My friend planted her terra cotta strawberry pot with different succulents. It looks fabulous. I have an old strawberry pot that is currently empty so I'm going to try my own version.

This is a guide about growing purslane (portulaca). Thriving in a hot, dry climate these edible plants, also called pigweed, are known for their anti-inflammatory properties.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about growing sedum. There are many types of these succulents known as sedum. They are easy to grow and quite tolerant of poor growing conditions.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about growing jade (Crassula). The jade plant is a popular succulent that is often grown as a houseplant.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing aloe. Not only is aloe a neat looking plant, it has medicinal uses too. It is easy to grow aloe at home and have access to its soothing qualities the next time you get sunburned.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My succulent has been looking a little off lately. It's an echeveria agavoides, if that helps. Have I been overwatering? Underwatering? Not enough or too much light?

Answers

Succulent plants are easy to grow and take care of.

Step 1
Most succulent plants don't need a lot of water to survive.

Step 2
The plant you have should be watered once every 7 to 10 days.

Step 3
Give the plant a good soaking. Let all the excess water drip out from the bottom of the pot.

Step 4
The next time you will water the plant is when you see the dirt start to crack and look very dry.

Step 5
Even if the top of the soil is dry, don't water it again without checking the soil underneath. This soil needs to be very dry.

Step 6
Over watering succulent plants can cause root rot and the plant to die.

Step 7
You can grow this plant either inside or outside.

Step 8
I keep my succulent plants on a small table on my terrace. The plants receive moderate sunlight in the late afternoon to evening hours. I find this best for this type of plants.

Step 9
Each climate and zone is different. I would suggest that you look up your zone online and see what they suggest for this plant.

Over-watering is the most common cause of yellowing leaves on a succulent plant. Constantly wet soil can rot the plant's roots, interfering with its ability to take up water and nutrients from the soil.

Since you know the name of your succulent then I feel sure you read care instructions (the Lipstick plant?).

My only suggestion would be to very carefully remove your plant and make sure the soil at the bottom is not wet. You can use a water instrument/gauge if you have one but be sure the point goes to the bottom of the pot.
Have you changed your watering schedule lately? Do you water more than once per month? Does your pot have good drainage and no saucer underneath?
Overwatering and underwatering both have the same characteristics so it is difficult to judge by the photo. Light could be an issue as the sun has changed and there may be less light than before.
I usually just add one or two ice cubes to my succulents and that seems to be sufficient water.

Here is a good source of care instructions so maybe you might see something you haven't noticed before.

http://www.youn  eria-care-guide/

Caring for echeveria agavoides.

Step 1
When you water Echeveria, water the soil and not the rosette.

Step 2
Pour on the water until it drains out the bottom.

Step 3
Repeat this a couple times.

Step 4
Then don't water again until the soil has dried out.

Step 5
Once the threat of frost has past, gradually move them back outside in the spring.

Step 6
They like full sun.

Step 7
Do not keep them in the afternoon sun if it is very hot.

Step 8
Echeveria, indoors or outside, dont like to be kept too wet, but they also dont like to be kept too dry.

Step 9
Echeveria need soil that drains quickly. This helps prevent moisture from rotting the roots.

Step 10
Getting a fresh change of soil every couple years will keep them healthy and growing well.

Step 11
Use a slow-release fertilizer at the beginning of spring, or a liquid fertilizer diluted 2-4 times more than normal and used less often than recommended.

Succulents require little care. Water the soil, until once a week or longer, depending if the soil looks dry. Some direct sunlight needed too.

Are coffee grounds safe for succulents?

Lara from Santa Rosa, CA

Answers

Coffee grounds create an acid soil. Any plant that likes an acid environment will love these, esp camellias, azaleas and roses.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I love to collect tiny containers (bought from thrift shops) for my succulent collections; if I see an interesting shape (plastic animal mugs, etc.) I drill drainage holes in them and fill them with succulents.

By Renee

various containers and pots

Comment Like this photo? 16

Photo Description
A lovely display of succulents found on a garden wall in Chester County, PA.

Photo Location
Chester County, PA

Comment Like this photo? 9

As a professional photographer, I enjoy tootling around in my off time, looking for opportunities to photograph just about anything. I recently photographed some succulents from my garden and particularly love this one. It has soft, yet very distinct contrasting color.

Source: Beth Damon Photography

By bethcriner

Comment Like this photo? 3