Growing Succulents

Category Succulents
Succulents are an excellent plant choice for container gardens. They are easy to grow, require little water, and minimal care. Add some to your houseplant collection or your garden. This is a page about growing succulents.

I have a short wall between my garden and the neighbor's driveway. It is a pretty old cinderblock construction with some of the cement patches over the holes gone. I had some leftover succulent starts and decided to plant them in the wall.

I filled the openings with garden soil and added the small plants. Two seasons later they are flourishing. Right now they have their summer yellow tint on, but in the cooler months they are a pretty green.

I water them occasionally in the summer, but here in the northwest the climate takes care of the rest of the year. I may add a variety that has pretty flowers and see how it does in this setting.

My friend planted her terra cotta strawberry pot with different succulents. It looks fabulous. I have an old strawberry pot that is currently empty so I'm going to try my own version.

Plant succulents in strawberry pots

Succulents have shallow roots and do not require much soil. You can fill a giant pot with other items like cartons, planters, containers, etc. to save soil.

Save Soil if Planting Succulents - two planted pots

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Help!

Answers

Best Answer

The string of pearl plant is a succulent. It requires only occasional watering and well-drained soil.

It also need bright light in order to thrive. I hope you're able to save what's left of your plant.

Can succulents be left outside in pots during winter in zone 7b and survive till spring? Can they survive planted in the ground? I don't want to lose them all together.

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

My initial response was NO, but I had to reconsider. What kind of succulents do you have? Hens and chicks are a variety of succulent that will overwinter very well. In fact, I've tried bringing mine in during the winter and lost 90% of them. When I leave them out (even during ice and snow storms), they thrive and I have so many that I have to give them away. So my response is, we need more information.

Are coffee grounds safe for succulents?

Lara from Santa Rosa, CA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Coffee grounds create an acid soil. Any plant that likes an acid environment will love these, esp camellias, azaleas and roses.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I love to collect tiny containers (bought from thrift shops) for my succulent collections; if I see an interesting shape (plastic animal mugs, etc.) I drill drainage holes in them and fill them with succulents.

By Renee

various containers and pots

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

Photo Description
A lovely display of succulents found on a garden wall in Chester County, PA.

Photo Location
Chester County, PA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

As a professional photographer, I enjoy tootling around in my off time, looking for opportunities to photograph just about anything. I recently photographed some succulents from my garden and particularly love this one.

Closeup Picture of Succulent Garden

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

This page is about growing hens and chicks. These semi succulents grow best in poor soil conditions, and are especially suitable for the rock garden.

Hens and Chicks

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 5

This is a page about growing jade (Crassula). The jade plant is a popular succulent that is often grown as a houseplant.

Flowering Jade (Crassula)

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This is a page about growing purslane (portulaca). Thriving in a hot, dry climate these edible plants, also called pigweed, are known for their anti-inflammatory properties.

Growing Purslane (Portulaca) oleracea

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about growing sedum. There are many types of these succulents known as sedum. They are easy to grow and quite tolerant of poor growing conditions.

Growing Sedum

This is a page about growing aloe. Not only is aloe a neat looking plant, it has medicinal uses too. It is easy to grow aloe at home and have access to its soothing qualities the next time you get sunburned.

An aloe plant in a pot.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Those of us who grow succulents know that it is generally easy to start new plants from cuttings. This recycled soda bottle succulent plant starter is designed to also focus on starting new plants from individual leaves.

The easy to follow instructions appear below.

Succulent Plant Starter - bottle with leaves in place

This is a page about caring for a succulent. Succulents are typically very easy to grow. There are a few specific things to keep in mind to ensure their health. Do not over or underwater. For more succulent care tips check out this page. This is a page about caring for a succulent.

Succulents in a pot.

Home and Garden Gardening SucculentsJune 5, 2014
🐛
📓
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Succulents.html