Growing Succulents

Category Gardening
Succulents are an excellent plant choice for container gardens. They are easy to grow, require little water, and minimal care. Add some to your houseplant collection or your garden. This is a guide about growing succulents.

I have a short wall between my garden and the neighbor's driveway. It is a pretty old cinderblock construction with some of the cement patches over the holes gone. I had some leftover succulent starts and decided to plant them in the wall.

I filled the openings with garden soil and added the small plants. Two seasons later they are flourishing. Right now they have their summer yellow tint on, but in the cooler months they are a pretty green.

I water them occasionally in the summer, but here in the northwest the climate takes care of the rest of the year. I may add a variety that has pretty flowers and see how it does in this setting.

This guide is about growing hens and chicks. These semi succulents grow best in poor soil conditions, and are especially suitable for the rock garden.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 5

My friend planted her terra cotta strawberry pot with different succulents. It looks fabulous. I have an old strawberry pot that is currently empty so I'm going to try my own version.

This is a guide about growing purslane (portulaca). Thriving in a hot, dry climate these edible plants, also called pigweed, are known for their anti-inflammatory properties.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about growing sedum. There are many types of these succulents known as sedum. They are easy to grow and quite tolerant of poor growing conditions.

This is a guide about growing jade (Crassula). The jade plant is a popular succulent that is often grown as a houseplant.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about growing aloe. Not only is aloe a neat looking plant, it has medicinal uses too. It is easy to grow aloe at home and have access to its soothing qualities the next time you get sunburned.

Are coffee grounds safe for succulents?

Lara from Santa Rosa, CA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Coffee grounds create an acid soil. Any plant that likes an acid environment will love these, esp camellias, azaleas and roses.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I love to collect tiny containers (bought from thrift shops) for my succulent collections; if I see an interesting shape (plastic animal mugs, etc.) I drill drainage holes in them and fill them with succulents.

By Renee

various containers and pots

Comment Like this photo? 16

Photo Description

A lovely display of succulents found on a garden wall in Chester County, PA.

Photo Location
Chester County, PA

Comment Like this photo? 9

As a professional photographer, I enjoy tootling around in my off time, looking for opportunities to photograph just about anything. I recently photographed some succulents from my garden and particularly love this one. It has soft, yet very distinct contrasting color.

Source: Beth Damon Photography

By bethcriner

Comment Like this photo? 3