HAIR DYE DISASTER!

Two weeks ago, I purchased one of those cheap hair dyes (BIG MISTAKE!) that is supposed to be temporary. The box said it would wash out in 12 to 24 shampoos. So, I, in my great wisdom, figured, what the heck. I tried the color black, a huge change from my medium auburn hair. I figured it was only temporary, right? I have washed and washed my "very black hair" and it is not coming out. What do I do? I look awful in black. How do I get this color out? Why isn't it coming out if it is supposed to be temporary? I am sure the box said temporary, or i would never have used it. Any advice, anyone.

Many, many thanks in advance.
Anjeena from NY

Answers:

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

A friend who worked with the theatrical department of her local high school said that "Head and Shoulders" dandruff shampoo worked the best for removing temporary hair-coloring on her"actresses". A word of warning to anyone contemplating dyeing their hair dark brown, it will look BLACK! Don't ask me how I know! LOL (06/23/2006)

By Grandma Margie

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

I would try good old baking soda. Im not sure how well it will scrub out your black dye. Its the only thing that gets hair wax out of my hair right away. Baking soda's worth a try. (06/26/2006)

By rainbows

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried the dandruff shampoo. I also tried soap (bar soap) and it still won't come out. Does anyone know anything about "hair color removers?" Someone told me about it, but I'm not sure about this. Thanks again and looking for your responses. (06/26/2006)

By Anjeena

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

Hi Anjeena, I am a hairstylist and well as a salon owner. These "temporary colors" can be misleading because although they don't have the chemical elements to penetrate the hair shaft which make them permanent they do not take into account the fact that your hair may already be porous so some of those color molecules get in there and they can be difficult to get rid of, as you've already discovered! First off I would try mixing baking soda in with shampoo and scrubbing it that way, this is usually a fairly productive way off getting a temporary color off. If this doesn't work I would recommend that you get some help from a professional as dye removers can cause some serious damage to your hair that can't be repaired. (remove spaces) (06/26/2006)

By Justanothercowgirl

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

I had the same thing happen to me. I washed my hair with "Dawn" dish washing soap a few times and it really helped. You might have to use some extra conditioner but it will take some of the color out. Good luck! (06/26/2006)

By Donita

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

Poor dear. Why would you want to dye a lovely auburn colour? Ah, well. Maybe look on the box for an 800 or 888 number. A website (theirs) if they have one? But I say a professional would be best. (06/27/2006)

By KLS8800

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

I did the same thing and even with the black color! I called a friend and she called her beautician. You have to wet your hair and make a sort of paste on your head using dawn dish detergent and baking soda. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and wash it out. Repeat. It took about 5 times but the dye was running down the drain.

Also, I had gotten dye on the edges of my forehead and face. I used the same "paste" and it even got that off. When I went back to work, someone was looking at my hair, squinted her eyes and said, "You've done something to your hair." I thought oh no, here we go... she asked me if I had gotten it cut! So paste it on and good luck! (06/27/2006)

By snider

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

Before adding any other chemicals (i.e. colour remover - but baking soda should be safe) I'd call the manufacturer of the hair dye. If you don't still have the box, go back to the store and find one. It should have a phone number on the box to call and they should be able to help you out. I'm sure yours won't be the first call they've had about this sort of thing! (06/27/2006)

By Trix

HAIR DYE DISASTER!

i just had a nightmare with some hair colour stripper and dye. I went to the hairdressers today and she told me I have to have it repigmented or something, so please just bite the bullet and go to a salon for any more colouring. My stylist told me if you keep colouring your hair it'll get saturated and go a grey/green colour! Try and get the black out naturally with washing up liquid, it really does work but dries the hair so be sure to condition, and try to avoid using heat because that sets hair colour. I hope this helps a bit! (12/02/2006)

By Hannah - The Impatient Moron

Woman using Hair Dye
Fixing a Hair Dye Disaster
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🎉
🎄