Handmade Crochet Hook Holders

The avid, and even the beginning, crochet crafter will find themselves with a variety of hooks to keep track of. This is a guide about handmade crochet hook holders.

May 16, 2011 Flag

I saw a beautiful pattern to crochet a crochet hook holder. The pattern was costly and I could think of ways to personalize it, so I set to making my own.

1. Make sure the edges of your canvas are smooth. Place it on your fabric with the prettiest side of the fabric up toward you.
  2. Fold the fabric over evenly and pin the long side and one short side.
  3. Remove the plastic canvas and sew these two sides up, making sure you don't make it too small for the canvas to go back in.
  4. Turn your "pocket" inside out so that the pretty side is facing outward.
  5. Slide the plastic canvas back in then pin up the last side, making sure the cut edges of the cloth are tucked inside your cover. Sew it up securely.
  6. Ad

7. Gently fold this piece in half like a book and keep gently squeezing the folded side so that it wants to stay folded, but try to not break the canvas, or it will slide around in your cover and not stiffen it. You could cut the canvas in half and add a seam between the two parts to insure this doesn't happen, but mine has seen plenty of use and hasn't broken.
  8. On the inside of the left half of your piece, tack a piece of hemmed fabric into place making a "pleated" surface. You will be storing your crochet hooks inside the pleats. Pin between each pleat, making it the size of the hook/s it will hold. This piece should come about half way up the hooks. Sew it into place on the two sides and the bottom then between each pleat.

9. Put your hooks in, then pin a hemmed piece of cloth over the tops to come down just far enough to expose about an inch of the hooks. Pin it in over the actual hooks so you know it has room for them.
  10. Remove the hooks and sew the two sides and the top in place. I left the space over the middle of the hooks to see the pretty colors and to be able to pick my hook out without lifting the flap up.
  11. The top piece has to be just loose enough that you can reach up under it and remove the crochet hook. For this I used a roll of clear, ribbony material I got at a garage sale; I can see through it, and it had another plus of not needing hems (no-ravel), but I have no idea what it is.
  12. For the right half, take a piece of fabric the size you want to make a little pocket and its cover. Sew it up, turn it right side out, then sew it into place. I used the same clear material as for the hook holder. I sewed the two sides and the bottom in place, but left the top un-sewn. I tuck folded patterns in here. I close it by tucking the top into the pocket. In here I keep accessories such as a small magnifier, a stitch counter, and place markers.

13. I close my hook holder with a rubber band, though I will get around to making an elastic loop sooner or later.
  14. I decorated my holder with some flowers I crocheted, though I didn't include the instructions for these, since they are optional, and the instructions are too long.

I made this with all scrap materials, so it was very thrifty, and it is more useful to me than anything I've seen in stores.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Love it! Thank you for the really good instructions too. I gotta make one of these. :-)

Thank you for the suggestions, Julia! I hadn't thought of using pin backs for the flowers, but I'll be heading to Michaels to get some. I hadn't thought about selling the holders, either, but I do have a lot of fabric remnants...hmm. You have so many good ideas, Julia!

I really like your craft idea and I'm going to make something like it for my embroidery projects. I love doing ribbon embroidery in combination with regular embroidery and the addition of crystal beads. I never seem to have everything I need in one handy place. With a few alterations, this would work just great.

Thank you for sharing your nice craft idea.

I'm "hooked"! I agree with Julia, you should sell them and I'd gladly be your first customer seeing my sewing machine is still down.

Besides putting pins on your crocheted flowers (I put mine on hats too) I've glued magnets to them for the fridge.

You could make some good "seed" money! : )

Great photos and easy instructions.Thanks for sharing and good luck with winning on this one.

September 1, 2014 Flag

This craft just won 3rd place for Crocheted/Other at the State Fair here in Salem. It's a fun craft you can make with any scrap yarn.

finished tower

October 9, 2004 Flag

• 1 piece of cutoff 2x4 board
  • 1 small can of any color stain
  • 1 small can polyurethane varnish

• router and beading bit
  • drill and various sized drill bits
  • sander or sanding block

Find yourself a good sized scrap of 2x4 (layout your crochet hooks to decide how big it will need to be). Run the router with a beading bit around the top edge of the 2x4 while laying it flat. Sand thoroughly until smooth.

With a drill and drill bits: drill holes to fit the size of your crochet hook's bottoms so that the crochet hooks can be stuck in wood with the hook side up.

Stain and varnish now or try these options. Embellish with some decoupage on either end of the board with the holes for the hooks in the center. You could personalize this by decoupaging pictures on the ends for the person you are making it for. You could also wood burn a saying or write the recipient's name before you apply the stain and varnish.

Add the crochet hooks when it is dry.

By Debra in CO

I would like directions for joining small granny square's poncho.(4 to 5 in squares)

This crochet hook holder is definitely not one to use for travel. I use a short wide drinking glass for the extra ones that do not fit in my quilted fold-up holder.

How come there's no photo of this?

I had commissioned something similar with 3 concentric circles of wood glued in a stack and holes drilled around all 3 rings, in various sizes - for my assorted pens and markers.

Little note here, from a UK resident, I have discovered that your crochet pattern instructions differ to those we use in the UK - Your Single Crochet (SC) is our Double Crochet (DC), and your Double Crochet (DC) is our Treble Crochet (TRC) - and so on. This should make life easier for anyone else struggling to make 'foreign' patterns (UK-/US and vice versa) ;-)

Crafts CrochetJanuary 31, 2013
crochet hook storage tower
Making a Crochet Hook Storage Tower
Glass frog pencil holders.
Unique Pencil Holders
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
various size crochet hooks
Storing Crochet Hooks