Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Handmade Crochet Hook Holders

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Crochet Hooks

The avid, and even the beginning, crochet crafter will find themselves with a variety of hooks to keep track of. This is a guide about handmade crochet hook holders.

Solutions: Handmade Crochet Hook Holders

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Crochet Hook Holder

I saw a beautiful pattern to crochet a crochet hook holder. The pattern was costly and I could think of ways to personalize it, so I set to making my own. Photo of hand made crochet hook holder

Materials:

• 1 sheet plastic canvas cut to the size you want; mine was 7 1/2x12 1/2 inches
  • 1 piece of fabric cut to cover both sides (inside and outside) of your canvas, mine was about 16x26 inches.
  • fabric cut to the size of the pockets you want
  • thread
  • scissors
  • thimble
  • a sturdy rubber band, or piece of elastic sewn in a loop

Directions:

1. Make sure the edges of your canvas are smooth. Place it on your fabric with the prettiest side of the fabric up toward you.
  2. Fold the fabric over evenly and pin the long side and one short side.
  3. Remove the plastic canvas and sew these two sides up, making sure you don't make it too small for the canvas to go back in.
  4. Turn your "pocket" inside out so that the pretty side is facing outward.
  5. Slide the plastic canvas back in then pin up the last side, making sure the cut edges of the cloth are tucked inside your cover. Sew it up securely.
  6. Gently fold this piece in half like a book and keep gently squeezing the folded side so that it wants to stay folded, but try to not break the canvas, or it will slide around in your cover and not stiffen it. You could cut the canvas in half and add a seam between the two parts to insure this doesn't happen, but mine has seen plenty of use and hasn't broken.
  7. On the inside of the left half of your piece, tack a piece of hemmed fabric into place making a "pleated" surface. You will be storing your crochet hooks inside the pleats. Pin between each pleat, making it the size of the hook/s it will hold. This piece should come about half way up the hooks. Sew it into place on the two sides and the bottom then between each pleat. Photo of close up of crochet hooks in holder

8. Put your hooks in, then pin a hemmed piece of cloth over the tops to come down just far enough to expose about an inch of the hooks. Pin it in over the actual hooks so you know it has room for them.
  9. Remove the hooks and sew the two sides and the top in place. I left the space over the middle of the hooks to see the pretty colors and to be able to pick my hook out without lifting the flap up.
  10. The top piece has to be just loose enough that you can reach up under it and remove the crochet hook. For this I used a roll of clear, ribbony material I got at a garage sale; I can see through it, and it had another plus of not needing hems (no-ravel), but I have no idea what it is.
  11. For the right half, take a piece of fabric the size you want to make a little pocket and its cover. Sew it up, turn it right side out, then sew it into place. I used the same clear material as for the hook holder. I sewed the two sides and the bottom in place, but left the top un-sewn. I tuck folded patterns in here. I close it by tucking the top into the pocket. In here I keep accessories such as a small magnifier, a stitch counter, and place markers. Photo of Close up of poket in the crochet hook holder Photo of Inside of the Crochet Hook Holder

12. I close my hook holder with a rubber band, though I will get around to making an elastic loop sooner or later.
  13. I decorated my holder with some flowers I crocheted, though I didn't include the instructions for these, since they are optional, and the instructions are too long.

I made this with all scrap materials, so it was very thrifty, and it is more useful to me than anything I've seen in stores.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Tip: Beautiful Wooden Crochet Hook Caddy

• 1 piece of cutoff 2x4 board
  • 1 small can of any color stain
  • 1 small can polyurethane varnish

Tools:

• router and beading bit
  • drill and various sized drill bits
  • sander or sanding block

Directions:

Find yourself a good sized scrap of 2x4 (layout your crochet hooks to decide how big it will need to be). Run the router with a beading bit around the top edge of the 2x4 while laying it flat. Sand thoroughly until smooth.

With a drill and drill bits: drill holes to fit the size of your crochet hook's bottoms so that the crochet hooks can be stuck in wood with the hook side up.

Stain and varnish now or try these options. Embellish with some decoupage on either end of the board with the holes for the hooks in the center. You could personalize this by decoupaging pictures on the ends for the person you are making it for. You could also wood burn a saying or write the recipient's name before you apply the stain and varnish.

Add the crochet hooks when it is dry.

By Debra in CO

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!