Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas

You may need a litter box of a different design than you can find to buy. This guide contains homemade cat litter box ideas.

November 20, 2014 Flag

I have a large Rubbermaid-type storage container covering my kitty's litter box in my storage room. She used to kick litter all over the place. Now I have much less to sweep up, plus it looks much more pleasant for company.

Turn the container upside-down and cut a doghouse-style opening in either the broad side or the end. Having the opening on the end will make an even more enclosed and private litter box. Use either a box cutter or strong shears, but be careful the plastic can be very tough.

Once you've cut the opening, lay the lid on the floor. Place the box on top of it and snap the inverted container back on the lid. It only takes a few dollars and a few minutes to make a piece of furniture that is completely washable and will last practically forever.

Thank you, Marty. It has been very helpful to me.

I've got 2 cats and a basement covered in litter dust. Thanks for the idea!

If you don't want the litter box to smell, mix in some Arm and Hammer baking soda (or the storebrand). And people won't be able to tell you have a cat even if your guest can see the litter box in plain site.

I love that idea. My one cat is the same...kicks it everywhere and drags it around the house. So this perfect. Thanks

July 9, 2016 Flag

I love cats. But I hate the litter. They scatter it all around. Some dogs love to get into the litter. The smell can be terrible between changes. But I came up with a solution that is cheap and works well.

Homemade Cat Litter Box

March 3, 2008 Flag

I always had a hard time finding a litter box that was deep enough for my cats. They kicked loads of litter out the side with traditional boxes. Then I tried a covered box and it just made them stinky when they came out. So I made my own litter box.

Homemade Deep Litter Box

May 22, 2008 Flag

I have found a great idea for a hidden kitty litter box! Go to the nearest thrift store find a decent sized two drawer night stand. Take top drawer out and cut the face of the drawer off.

September 9, 2015 Flag

After seeing a nifty cat box with a high price tag, I decided to make my own. It is a tote with a hole cut in the top of the lid. I had empty totes already so that didn't cost me anything.

March 30, 2011 Flag

While shopping in a department store, I noticed that basic litter boxes for cats cost more than a dishpan. The litter boxes were priced at over $6.00 each. The dishpans were priced at $1.29 each.

November 6, 2008 Flag

We made this litterbox out of a $4.00 tub. We used a dremel to cut the hole, It is bigger than the normal box and easier to open and clean.

Litterbox from plastic tub.

December 1, 2011 Flag

I have a multi-cat household. After years of using covered litter boxes, which help keep litter in, but are time consuming to clean, I realized maybe a long and deep storage box would work.

April 13, 2009 Flag

Covered cat litter boxes are ridiculously expensive, however they certainly do help contain cat odors. Since we are a multi-cat family I found the best way to cut the cost and still reap the benefit was to use plastic storage containers.

March 6, 2011 Flag

Homemade Deep Litter Box
Homemade Deep Litter Box

I simply bought two deep Rubbermaid containers (I think Rubbermaid would be better than Sterilite since Rubbermaid is a little more flexible) and cut two openings in the front of the containers. I had my dad actually cut the openings with a saw, but I think a sharp box cutter (and a little safety precaution) would work, too. This has been the perfect solution for my cats because they only spill litter out the front, and even then it's not very much.

I hope someone finds this tip useful! By Kathy from South Dakota

Answers:

Homemade Deep Litter Box

What a great idea. I am constantly sweeping up the litter my cat kicks out of her box. Did you find that the cats were apprehensive to go into the litter box with the sides. Sometimes my cat likes to sit on the edge of the box when she goes. It sure is worth giving your idea a try. Thanks. (03/03/2008)

By RealtorRose.

Homemade Deep Litter Box

That is genius! I do believe I'm going to give it a try. (03/03/2008)

By chretienne

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Excellent idea, I will also try. Thanks (03/03/2008)

By Zina

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing. This is a terrific idea that I think would work great for my 3 cats. (03/03/2008)

By Christine

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I love this this would allow me to use scoop-able litter with my cats who love to dig and kick out litter. Thank you for sharing. (03/03/2008)

By Arlene

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Well aren't you clever! I love this idea! I bet Rubbermaid will get ahold of it and start selling these! Look out!

:) (03/03/2008)

By kayrayriggs

Homemade Deep Litter Box

The other day I was at a pet store looking at options. I am an animal rescue, right now it feels more like a cat rescue and birthing center LOL.

We were looking at litter boxes since we needed additional ones. For the basic litter box, not hooded, the cheapest option they had available was $8.00. That is a crazy price, not to mention the ones we like that are hooded and larger are about $14 and up.

This solution is far better for many reasons. It is less expensive, better for holding in litter, easy to stack up for when we move homes soon, but also since we fluctuate on cat's in home we can stack and store these very easily when not in use.

This solution came at a perfect time! It was literally two days ago we began the search for a better solution, this fits us perfect. Thanks for the idea!

(03/03/2008)

By eadaein

Homemade Deep Litter Box

That is genius! Especially if you have a cat that is "private" you can put on the lid, or cut a hole in the smaller end. I'll have to pass this on to the director of a rescue place that I am probably going to adopt a kitty from this week! Fantastic! I think I might even try that, then I have have a lidded box without having guests have to look at the poop (my last cat never learned how to cover her business, yech!) (03/03/2008)

By michawnpita

Homemade Deep Litter Box

You could place the cut out opening higher up on the wall of the container, which would keep just about ALL of the litter inside. Remember, our kitties have marvelous jumping ability and would have no trouble getting through a higher hole. The only exception would be an elderly, arthritic cat. I did this years ago except I cut an opening in the side of a large, square, plastic trash can with a lid, which I left on. My kitty loved her bathroom :>)! (03/03/2008)

By Grandma Margie

Homemade Deep Litter Box

This is such an awesome idea! My husband usually jokingly threatens to make our two kitties (older ones) porch kitties because of all the litter our female especially tosses around. Lately, it hasn't been so jokingly. Thank you for keeping my kitties inside! (03/03/2008)

By Comish

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I use a Rubbermaid tote as a litter box for my cat. She has jumped in and out fine since she was a kitten. She still tracks litter out, but at least she doesn't kick it all over the place. (03/03/2008)

By Cresanna

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I have been using this size of litter boxes for many years. In fact, one of mine is even larger!! I have 17 indoor cats. When I had kittens, I fixed up make-shift "stair steps" so they could get in and out of them, until they were able to jump in and out by themselves. They are ideal for minimal litter mess and smell. People cannot believe we have as many cats as we do, when they come to our house, as there is no odor. (03/03/2008)

By lmgluvscat

Homemade Deep Litter Box

What a clever idea! But I'm the lazy type, so I think that if it were me, I'd put a box a little bit smaller (possibly with a liner on it) inside the bottom of the larger Rubbermaid box. This way you'd have all the benefits of having steeper sides (not getting litter all over the place) Plus, I'd think you could clean it out much easier if another box with a liner was inside of the larger one. (03/03/2008)

By Cyinda

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I love your idea! I've been using a 'wrapping paper' Rubbermaid type container for a couple of years. I love them because they fit nicely against the wall in my basement, and with two kitties. No smell!

My kitties are a bit modest, and this will be perfect for them! For those of you who like the idea of using this type of container (what could be better? Reuse a container you already have... washable... fits easily in a corner) keep in mind the wrapping paper size, also. It has been great for me, a mom of 2 big kitties.

I am so excited to share your idea with my husband! Thank you! I love this site! (03/04/2008)

By some1simple

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I've been using a Rubbermaid storage container for my cat's litter box for years. I use this size, only the one that's half the height of yours. It keeps the litter in, yet is low enough that he can jump in and out with no problem, and it eliminates those occasional times when he aims too close to the edge. They're easy to clean, last forever, come in lots of colors, and work so much better than standard litter boxes. Thank God for Rubbermaid!

I also keep one on my porch for my cat (he stays very close to home). I close the lid when he's inside to keep out both other cats and the elements. Keeps my flower boxes and plants clean. (03/04/2008)

By susanmajp

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I too have been doing this for years. I use 30 quart size containers and cut a "U" shaped opening at the short end. I have 4 of these lined up. One of my cats is a Maine Coon and even the over sized regular litter boxes were not big enough for him. Plus the high sides help keep things neat. (03/05/2008)

By Beth

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Purrrfect! I was presently dealing with coming up with a better solution asap for my 4 cats, so this will surely help me and save money at the same time! I'm also thankful for the tips from a couple of others, mentioning using one that I already own first, to make sure the kitties like it! (03/06/2008)

By freebyrdz

Homemade Deep Litter Box

My neighbor uses a high sided Rubbermaid container with a garbage bag liner with kitty litter in it pulled up over the sides and knotted to hold the bag tight. There is no hole cut in the side of the box at all! Her adult cats started as kittens just jumping up on the corner of the box and perching there with their tails over the litter box - can you believe it? What a wonderful thing! (03/08/2008)

By Cathy S

Homemade Deep Litter Box

This is genius! (03/11/2008)

By Pam

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Your cats must thank you (meow)! (03/13/2008)

By Little Suzy

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I just love this idea. I'm going to Menard's today to buy the containers. No more sweeping up messy litter off the floor. Thank you! (03/13/2008)

By Emma from Michigan

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Brilliant! I have three cats, but the problem is the male cat who invariably shoots over the edge, making the floor a wet stinky mess. Hurrah. This is a great idea and I can't wait to implement this. Thank you. (04/10/2008)

By Sarah

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I'm so doing this! I live in an apt with two cats, and I have the litter box in the hallway. This will probably take up more room for me, but if it saves me from vacuuming up litter every day, I'm doing it!

My Persian sometimes has problems and misses his mark, and I end up picking up poop too. Ew! (04/10/2008)

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Ha-ha! I'm glad someone else discovered the versatility of Rubbermaid Boxes! I have one home made one and one I bought used from a friend (sterilized of course).

My only complaint is that the ridges on the bottom of the Rubbermaid boxes are a pain in the arse to clean, but if I go in with the pet smell enzyme cleaner, put it in a dish soap container and dilute it with water, it cleans away pretty quick. The home made ones are also super easy to clean! (06/22/2008)

By Conure

Homemade Deep Litter Box

What a great idea! From Team Cat (07/29/2008)

By Two Cathy's from Indiana

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Thanks! I can't believe I never thought of that before!! My cat is huge, and even with store bought oversize pans she still never fits! (09/19/2008)

By Noel

Homemade Deep Litter Box

This is what I did. My two cats aren't big, they are actually small, but they love to throw their litter around. So I bought this tub, and gave them a way to get into it. The steps are home-made, using cardboard boxes taped together! (10/24/2008)

By Mary Jo

RE: Homemade Deep Litter Box

Homemade Deep Litter Box

This is just what I needed! We are going to make two of them! Thanks! (12/28/2008)

By Karen

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Dude! This is the greatest idea ever! We need to Market this!

Thank you for the idea. My First Resolution to clean up the Cat litter in 2009 is Done. Finally a resolution completed!

Thank you. Whoever you are. Off to Wally World to buy a Rubbermaid tub. Kramer (01/01/2009)

By Kramer A.

RE: Homemade Deep Litter Box

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Wow! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing with us. I think I will try this myself. =^..^= (02/09/2009)

By DVG

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Brilliant! And thank you! Just bought 4 Sterlite (18 lb capacity @ $4.50/ea at Wal-Mart) & cut an opening in the 1st one. I think my guys will like this revamping of their privacy chambers. (02/24/2009)

By Nica

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Thanks Kathy. I found your tip very helpful. I made two boxes over the weekend. It's a great idea. Thanks for sharing. (05/14/2009)

By lacat

Homemade Deep Litter Box

Wow! I was just going to order one of those giant boxes when I saw this. Had an empty container and fixed it right up! This is awesome! I have an older, very large cat who just kept "going" over the side of the box. This should solve the problem. Thanks so much! What a simple fix! (10/20/2009)

By sthrnlady

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I did this several years ago and they are still going strong. The only difference is I cut the opening on the end, a bit higher up, so the litter is deeper inside, and they can sit side by side and take up less room than one with the opening cut on the side, like yours. My friends laughed at me for using my little Dremel to cut the openings, but they weren't laughing when my cats started using them. They also love to lay on top of them. My cats I mean... not my friends. lol (04/22/2010)

By Jron7667

Homemade Deep Litter Box

After my post here last year, I made another 3 of these boxes, for a total of 4, along with a dome litter box I already had. My 6 guys seem happy with this arrangement. Great idea! (04/23/2010)

By bsvgs

Homemade Deep Litter Box

I've been using this method but my cat is such a high sprayer that he still overshoots the box. I added the lid onto the Rubbermaid but it leaked out the back. I enclosed paper towels in the corner where he does his business but it's still a mess and leaks out. I've considered using a tall garbage can and cutting it down to size but can't imagine cleaning out the groves properly. Any suggestions out there? (07/05/2010)

By Sunblock4040

I have back issues. Having the handles up higher makes it so much easier for me. Thank you!!

Pets CatsJuly 3, 2013
A cat smelling a litter box
Cleaning and Maintaining a Cat Litter Box
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎄
🍂