Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas

You may need a litter box of a different design than you can find to buy. This guide contains homemade cat litter box ideas.

Homemade Cat Litter Box
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a large Rubbermaid-type storage container covering my kitty's litter box in my storage room. She used to kick litter all over the place. Now I have much less to sweep up, plus it looks much more pleasant for company.

Turn the container upside-down and cut a doghouse-style opening in either the broad side or the end. Having the opening on the end will make an even more enclosed and private litter box. Use either a box cutter or strong shears, but be careful the plastic can be very tough.

Once you've cut the opening, lay the lid on the floor. Place the box on top of it and snap the inverted container back on the lid. It only takes a few dollars and a few minutes to make a piece of furniture that is completely washable and will last practically forever.

Rubbermaid bin to cover litter box
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have found a great idea for a hidden kitty litter box! Go to the nearest thrift store find a decent sized two drawer night stand. Take top drawer out and cut the face of the drawer off.

After seeing a nifty cat box with a high price tag, I decided to make my own. It is a tote with a hole cut in the top of the lid. I had empty totes already so that didn't cost me anything. The litter does not get kicked out at all. Occasionally some is tracked, but it is way better than it being kicked out. My cats love it too.

Additionally, I did buy a cat pan set that has two pans and a sifter for like $18 at one of the big box stores. The solid pan fits perfectly in my tote. I still have to disinfect the big tote, but not as often as I do the inside pans. Overall, it is less cumbersome.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Homemade Deep Litter BoxI always had a hard time finding a litter box that was deep enough for my cats. They kicked loads of litter out the side with traditional boxes. Then I tried a covered box and it just made them stinky when they came out. So I made my own litter box.

I simply bought two deep Rubbermaid containers (I think Rubbermaid would be better than Sterilite since Rubbermaid is a little more flexible) and cut two openings in the front of the containers. I had my dad actually cut the openings with a saw, but I think a sharp box cutter (and a little safety precaution) would work, too. This has been the "perfect" solution for my cats because they only spill litter out the front, and even then it's not very much.

I hope someone finds this tip useful!

By Kathy from SD

While shopping in a department store, I noticed that basic litter boxes for cats cost more than a dishpan. The litter boxes were priced at over $6.00 each. The dishpans were priced at $1.29 each.

By ArthurNewYork from Bronx, NY

We made this litterbox out of a $4.00 tub. We used a dremel to cut the hole, It is bigger than the normal box and easier to open and clean.

Litterbox from plastic tub.

I have a multi-cat household. After years of using covered litter boxes, which help keep litter in, but are time consuming to clean, I realized maybe a long and deep storage box would work.

Covered cat litter boxes are ridiculously expensive, however they certainly do help contain cat odors. Since we are a multi-cat family I found the best way to cut the cost and still reap the benefit was to use plastic storage containers.

Pets CatsJuly 3, 2013
      A cat smelling a litter box
      Cleaning and Maintaining a Cat Litter Box
      Cat in Litter Box
      Cat Not Using the Litter Box
      Cat exiting a litter box.
      Cat Litter Mat Reviews
      Cat Litter
      Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 25, 2016 at 11:10:58 AM on 10.0.0.232 in 287 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.