Homemade Facial Scrubs

I would like to make a facial scrub similar to St. Ives. Their scrub is too coarse for my skin, I need something with smaller grit. What can I use? I have heard of using ground almond shell. Is this okay, what else is there to use? I like to make mine up enough to use for a month or so at a time. Please help.

Judith from Lincoln City, OR

Answers:

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I read in my magazine that this helps your face:
-1 Egg White

-1 TBS Honey
-1-3 TBS Finely Chopped Oats

Whisk the egg white and honey together in a bowl, then add a TBS of finely chopped oats until it forms a paste. If it is still runny, then add more oats. Relax for 10 minutes, then wash off. (12/13/2008)

By Shydragonfly

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Baking soda is great for clearing up blackheads. Rinse your face with warm water and then apply the baking soda mixed with some water to make a paste. Leave on for a few minutes and then rinse off. The oat scrub someone else posted is excellent. And if you want something just a little stronger, add a touch of cornmeal. I often just use a little corn meal mixed in my palm with some of my regular face wash. (12/14/2008)

By Lynn

Homemade Facial Scrubs

You might like Burt's Bees products. It's organic and it really helps black/white heads, and dried skin. There are masks too. It's great and really works! (12/14/2008)

By aschlee

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Ground shells actually have sharp edges, and although you cannot see the damage without a strong magnifying glass, it will be there. More natural products, such a salt and sugar, work well. If you want to buy a product instead of making it, my favorite is Avon Clearskin Cleansing Scrub. It invigorates the skin, smells strongly of peppermint (yum!), and I really notice that my skin is much smoother after using it. (12/28/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Well, I am an Esthetician so I'm a pretty good expert on this problem. Don't use scrubs that contain oats, nuts, or anything that could be jagged and damage your skin. Baking soda and water is really good and you could use it more often because it's not rough. I would suggest not to exfoliate more than 2x/wk. If you have oily skin, this could make it worse because your skin is having to overcompensate for the "loss" of oil, therefore producing more. A mild exfoliate such as baking soda or salt would do just fine. (12/30/2008)

By Alicia

Homemade Facial Scrubs

I have tried this face wash, toner, and moisturizer kit called AcneFree. I tried it once at night, and in the morning, my face looked SO much better. I used it twice a day (once in the morning, once at night) and in a week, my face looked incredible. Problem is, stop using it, and your face could get worse than it was before. But once it's cleared, use it once a day, once every other day, and your face will look fantastic. It could make your face dry out, so I recommend using a moisturizer or a homemade honey-oat mask after you use it. Hope it helps! :D (01/05/2009)

By Lo

Homemade Facial Scrubs

If you are having really bad acne, please look into the possibility of food allergies and intestinal candida (yeast). A good naturopathic doctor can help you find out more about what to do for these conditions. Many people have food allergies and don't even know it because they're symptoms are skin related (i.e. eczema, rashes, and acne). Acne drugs will only put a band-aid on the problem and create a better environment for yeast to grow in your intestines. My acne has been much better since going off wheat, it's totally worth it. (02/06/2009)

By Jays Bunny

Homemade Facial Scrubs

Reply to Judith from Lincoln City, OR:
From a reliable source in the dermatological field, the use of any type of seed or pit product, no matter how finely ground, actually scratches the skin surface and should not be used. St. Ives Peach and Apricot scrubs were 2 examples of exfoliates to avoid, even if advertised for "sensitive" skin. Your surface skin is still being scratched. Just a bit of info I heard from a dermatologist worth passing along. (03/09/2009)

By LuannD

Salt and Herbs in Wooden Bowls
Homemade Facial Scrubs
woman with nice skin
Making and Storing Homemade Facial Peels
Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
Preparing Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
A sugar scrub with sugar near it.
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes
🎉
🎄