Making and Storing Homemade Facial Peels

Category Face
Many people prefer to make their own facial products at home. This is a guide about making and storing homemade facial peels.

Papaya skins make brilliant complexion softeners (like a fruit-acid peel). When you've scooped out the flesh, rub the inside of the skin on your face and leave for two minutes or so. Rinse off, and your face will feel as smooth as a baby's.

By Lucy L. from England

I am not sure how I came about this information but, for anyone who needs a strong facial peel or exfoliater:

You can add other ingredients as you wish, such as witch hazel. This will foam up immediately!

Most people's skin can only handle 15 minutes or so with it on.

By Desiree from Kent, WA

Answers

Best Answer

This sounds very interesting, thank you very much.
I'm always looking for a strong peel because even though I've always exfoliated (even before it became popular), I'm 52 and I really need all the help I can get!

But I have one question - what are the proportions you use, please?

Is it the juice of one fresh lemon?
How many aspirin?
How much baking soda?
How much witch hazel?

I really want to try it, so I hope you will kindly get back to me!

Thank you so much.

Best Answer

I wouldn't advise the use of lemon juice on the face since lemon is sensitive to sunlight and causes a dark, very dark stain on the skin. If someone is willing to use so drastic a recipe, should rinse face with fresh and abundant water before stepping outside.

Best Answer

After reading this I am shocked. Lemon juice on your face over night could be detrimental to your skin. You are altering the ph. It will take layers of skin off, litterly. If someone has sensitive shin, by morning there could be blood. While lemons will exfoliate , it would be good for a few minutes then wash off. Only to use this once a week. Or one might end up having scaring, over long time use.Basicialy if you have to think about how many minutes you can handle.it.. I wouldn't use it!

I am going to experiment with some homemade fruit facial peels. One of the ingredients is gelatin and I intend to use papaya as the main ingredient. Can I store it in the fridge for a few days if I have extra? Many thanks.

By Helen from UK

Answers

It will keep for a longer period if you store it in the refrigerator. Good luck.

Hi again, many thanks for your reply you really are a star. I also would like to know about two of the ingredients. The recipe states to use 2 oz of green tea & 2oz of chamomile tea steeped and strained sept. to add to gelatin when melted but this seems rather a lot nearly both boxes gone. Could I half this quantity with the same results many thanks helen x