Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes

Category Facials
Sugar works as a great base for an exfoliator. Exfoliation is an important step to keeping your skin looking young and vibrant. This page contains recipes for homemade sugar scrubs.

Face Scrub from the Kitchen

I have discovered the most amazing face & body scrub straight from my own kitchen! Take a 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and 1 Tbsp. of any extract (I've tried vanilla and mint - but not together!). Mix all ingredients, jump in the shower, wet your skin, massage the scrub into your skin and rinse. The sugar removes all the dead skin and all that remains is soft skin from the olive oil. I've even used it on my face and lips (don't rub too hard) and my face looks and feels amazing.

Don't be concerned about olive oil on your face - it's one of the most natural oils and won't clog your pores. I love using the vanilla for Saturday nights and peppermint for mornings. You can use any scent you want! Experiment and enjoy!

By Ricki from Westfield, MA

I know most of you have heard of sugar scrubs as a facial, so I thought I would try a homemade version. I put about a tablespoon of sugar in my hand and add any lotion on top of it, then rub it onto my face and neck for about a minute or as long as you like. Rinse well. My face and neck feel so soft and looks smoother.

By stronium from Grayson, KY

Top Comment

Sugar and olive oil works great on my feet.

I decided to try a brown sugar scrub, what a treat! I didn't think I would like it and I am glad I tried it.

Mix 1 cup brown sugar with half cup olive oil,and mix well. Your skin will be so soft. Used on your face followed with lemon juice, you will see an improvement in your skin within a week.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Instead of paying for expensive facial dermabrasion scrubs, I use fine granulated sugar! Pour your usual amount of your favorite facial cleanser into the palm of your hand, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar, rub hands together, then wash/scrub your face gently. I also add sugar to my bath gel and voila, a full body scrub. Plus, use it each time you wash your hands. Your skin will feel wonderfully soft and smooth!

By Fran

Top Comment

I mix the sugar in honey and keep it in a jar. Honey is a natural antibiotic, so if you have some breakouts, it helps.
One of the few things I can use on my face that cleans well, but doesn't irritate.

I use lemon juice and sugar (try not to lick your face). Mix together and gently rub on your face. Let stay on about 15 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. It will lighten age spots and freckles.

My favorite though is honey and aspirin. Soften the aspirin with a drop or two of hot water, and then add some honey. Rub gently onto your face and leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes. Then rinse it off. My skin feels great.

By Mell from Traverse City, MI

Ohhhh this is a good one. For a good clean face, dip a cotton ball into olive oil and a bit of white sugar. Wash your face lightly. It peels off the dry skin, oils your skin, cleanses, and sugar is healing.

By Acesnanna from Idaho

I used an empty jar of mushrooms as a container for a brown sugar scrub. The scrub recipe was brown sugar, baby oil, and body soap.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

For Mother's Day, I am making my mom and mother-in-law a homemade sugar scrub as part of their gifts. They are easy to make, economical, and much healthier than store bought scrubs. Here is the recipe:

This guide is about homemade hand scrub recipes. When cleaning hands, you sometimes need some scrubbing power.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about homemade body scrubs. Outstanding exfoliates don't have to be expensive when formulated at home.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I just wanted to say many thanks for the help with my soap making using the Melt and Pour. I have made some and they are great, so many thanks for sharing. I have another request now.

I have made a body scrub using brown sugar, baby oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E. The problem I found with this is it is so oily. Can you use water and half oil? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

Answers

I have always just used equal parts of white sugar and virgin olive oil. I just mix it in my hand and if I run out, I mix more. I think you will find this a nice alternative. Give it a try, you only have about .01 to lose!

You definitely can use some water! I make a scrub with olive oil, water, brown sugar and a couple drops of vanilla. The water will mix OK even though there is oil. Typically one typically mixes up the scrub a little before using it anyway so there should be no issues with it separating. :)

I use a loofah to scrub my dry skin off and then I start with a sugar and olive oil scrub. How many times may I do this?

By Elizabeth from Las Vegas, NV

Answers

One to two times a week at the most, or it will irritate your skin. I have found also that using sea salt instead of sugar works better because the salt won't melt and make you need more, as well as it doesn't attract ants.

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for a sugar scrub?

Sabrina from Council, N.C.

Answers:

Homemade Sugar Scrub

I use olive oil and mix it with enough sugar to create a paste. Before adding the sugar, however, I add essential oils to the olive oil. My favorite is a citrus (grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, or orange) mixed with a drop or 2 of peppermint or spearmint. I love the combination, but you could use whatever you like. Be cautious with peppermint, it is very potent. (08/06/2008)

By Tracy

Homemade Sugar Scrub

Make a thick paste using brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. It's a bit smelly, but it makes a wonderful face scrub. I use it every day. (08/16/2008)

By Jocelyn

If you want to treat yourself, your girlfriends or even your daughters to a special pamper session, then this recipe is for you.

Take your favorite liquid bath soap - 1/4 cup, and supersaturate it with sugar. (Add enough sugar so that the mixture is no longer a liquid).

Set up your table with a basin of warm water, towels and your favorite hand cream. Place hands in the warm water for about 5 minutes, then using the sugar scrub, massage the hands, fingers and even the wrists. Once done, rinse with warm water and then massage hands with your favorite hand cream. (I suggest using a cream with glycerin).

You will see that your hands are so very soft that you will want to share this with all your friends.

By Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

Answers:

Homemade Sugar Scrub

Make plenty of this...get in the shower (before you turn on the water) rub this mixture all over then rinse. You will be amazed how your skin feels. You can also mix the sugar with a thick body cream. (12/04/2007)

By Kay

Homemade Sugar Scrub

I have done this sugar scrub but instead of using body wash I used canola oil. Any oil will do but it makes your skin so soft. It did wonders on my rough heels. (12/16/2007)

By TXBetty

Homemade Sugar Scrub

Hi,
After a gardening session I pour a capful of olive oil into my upturned palm then add about a teaspoon of sugar. I rub gently especially around the nails and when I rinse off my hands are very clean and moisturized. (02/12/2008)

By north east england