Saving Money on Facial Tissues

Category Tips
Kleenex or other brands of facial tissues are commonplace in our homes. Like many other staples the cost of tissues has been rising over time. This is a guide about saving money on facial tissues.

If you like to carry a box of tissue in your car as I do, the box seems to always get messed up. I have found that if you use an empty baby wipe container (large one), you can put the tissues in the container and push the first tissue through the top. If they are the pop up tissues, then the next one will be ready for your use next time. Put a label on it saying tissues. Then you never have to worry about a tissue box falling apart and sending tissues everywhere.

By Lana from Show Low, AZ

Even at the Dollar Tree, you can miss bargains. I recently went to buy a small box of tissues, the cube shaped ones. I thought 80 tissues was a bargain, until I saw the oblong boxes and counted 175 or even 200 tissues in that style of box. Whoops!

The same goes for Ziploc bags, sandwich bags, and other packaged goods that offer several brands and styles.

Hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem , OR

When using the cube-type boxes of tissues, often the first few tissues out of the box pull out shredded and useless. To remedy this, when you first open the box, bang it a few times on the counter to pack the tissue bundle to the bottom of the box. Then, before you pull out the first tissue, stick your finger inside and push the tissues away from the top of the box, moving it around a bit to loosen the first few tissues away from one another.

By Gretchen from Aberdeen, SD

Once I came upon a segment of "Everybody Loves Raymond". The father barged into Raymond's house and took a facial tissue. Raymond asks, "Why don't you use your own tissues?" Father says, "When they get low, when you reach in, your hand gets stuck!" Raymond says, "Turn it upside down!"

I tried this. My hands are too small. I need to use two hands to turn it over, or even hang on to it. I don't have a free hand to grab a tissue with. So the idea just stewed in the back of my mind for awhile. Then one day I thought, "What if I turned the box on it's side?" Yes, it worked! It took a lot longer before I got to the last few tissues that were a bit difficult to get out.

What I do with these last few is this. I set that box of tissues aside for a bit in the closet with the new boxes and begin a new box. When the new box has had about an inch worth of tissues used out of it, I go to the storage closet, pull out the almost empty one, remove the tissues (carefully), and gently fold them into the fuller box, tucking them in neatly. Now I have an empty tissue box to use for all those other niffy ideas people have mentioned on this site for uses of empty tissue boxes!

By JazzyMe from Los Angeles, CA

I discovered that if you put your generic box of Kleenex on top of a favorite scented candle in a jar, after a few weeks your Kleenex will have the same scent as the candle. Very easy way to have nicely scented kleenex. If you are prone to allergies, you may not want to do this.

By CDC from FL