Homemade Humidifier

Heated indoor air can be too dry and additional moisture is helpful. This guide is about a homemade humidifier.

February 4, 2008 Flag

The weather here in the Minneapolis, MN area has been frigid for the past two weeks, temperatures hovering around 0 and below every night. With the furnace constantly running, I noticed that my house was very dry. I didn't want to turn on a steamer, (like what you would use when the kids are sick) because that would use a lot of electricity.

I went to the dollar store and picked up a couple of plastic banana holders (the ones you can hang bananas on). I then filled a flat bottomed bowl with around 2 inches of water and inserted the holder. Then I took an old dishtowel or you could use cheesecloth or any rag, for that matter, and draped it over the holder making sure that the towel is in the water so that it will wick up the water. I poured more water on the cloth and placed the bowls in front of a couple of heat vents. When the heat cranks on, it blows across the bowl/banana holder and takes the humid air with it. It really has made a difference in my home. Of course if you have pets or small children, you want to be very careful.

By Ardelle from Richfield, MN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have solved that problem pretty easily, Texan. First, get a good kitchen sponge with no scrubbing side. The good ones shouldn't drip! That is the key here. Cut it so it can fit into a snack-sized ziplock bag. Then, take the snack-sized ziplock bag, fold it in half and use a hole puncher to punch holes in it. Don't worry about if they are "clean" holes are not. It won't matter. Soak the sponge so it is saturated, then squeeze the excess off. Put it into the bag, and seal. Then, tie the bag to the ceiling heaters.

The downfall I've found to this is you have to refresh the sponge a few times a day if it is really, really dry and hot. I've found that it also works with a larger bag and the big car washing sponges too. Just follow the same method above and tie more securely since they'll be heavier.

As a note, it is cheaper to use the big car washing sponges. They are about $1.80 each at Walmart. =D

I have an electric clothes dryer in my bathroom. In the winter I have the pipe pushing the air from it above the dryer and I put a nylon stocking over the end to catch the extra lint. Don't forget to close off the pipe to the outside. Adds alot of moisture, heat and makes the house smell like the fresh scent of your dryer sheet. Caution the bathroom has special paint made for high moisture areas because of the high moisture from the dryer it may cause damage to your walls. DO NOT do if you have a gas dryer!

Read More Comments...

January 24, 2007 Flag

During this cold winter weather, the air in our homes gets terribly dry and some people don't like the added work of keeping a humidifier machine clean. An easier way to keep moister in the home is to keep a pot of water on a low burner on the kitchen stove. The added moisture also distributes the heat more evenly and it keeps us warmer. The only drawback is that the pot gets crusted over with calcium from the water and seems to ruin the pot. A very easy way to clean the pot is to put straight vinegar in it and wipe it out with a sponge.

By Retha from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we do this and add some liquid potpourri to ours

THIS BRINGS BACK ALOT OF MEMORIES, I HAD FORGOTTEN. AS A CHILD WE HAD SPACE HEATERS IN OUR HOME AND MOM ALWAYS HAD AN OLD COFFEE CAN OR VEGTABLE CAN SITTING ON OR IN FRONT OF THE GRATE SPACE HEATERS. THANKS FOR THE MEMORY

Read More Comments...
Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingMarch 12, 2013
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Humidifier
Humidify Your Home
Humidifier
Homemade Humidifier Treatments
🎉
🎄