Browsing: Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes

Homemade laundry detergent can be just as effective as store bought brands as well. This page contains recipes for homemade laundry detergent.

A washer filled with laundry.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 31, 2015 Flag

This laundry soap is easy to make and free of that long list of chemicals you will find in your average container of store bought soap. It works well too!

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: About 4 cupsjar of soap

• 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 1 cup grated laundry soap such as Zote or Fels Naptha
  • cheese grater
  • empty storage containers
Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap

Related Products:

1. Grate your bar soap. It's actually really fun to do this. My kids kept calling it "pink cheese", lol. :)
  2. Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
  3. Store the remaining soap in a Ziploc. Be sure to label it properly so everyone knows it's "not" food.
  4. Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
  5. Add all of your ingredients to a large bowl.
  6. Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
  7. Mix well.
  8. Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
  9. Store in an airtight container. I picked these cute Mason jars up for only 99 cents!
  10. Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
  11. Use 2 tablespoons per load of laundry.
  12. Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap

Source: Modified from a recipe in the book "Making It".

August 20, 2012 Flag

Homemade Laundry Deteregent using Borax and baking soda.Buy these ingredients at the dollar store. You will only need 2 tablespoons per load of laundry.

Materials

Instructions

First grate your soap, then mix all ingredients together. I used two garbage bags doubled up. Tie well and shake all your ingredients around a few times. Put into a container with a lid.

You can add 1-2 containers of fabric softener crystals into the mix for a nice smell.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

August 9, 2011 Flag
This is a super simple way to save a ton of money that goes down the drain for everyone. This also reduces some of the chemical toxicity in the water. For a little work (less than a half an hour) you can make 20 gallons for less than $5!

• 2 (5 gallon) buckets,
  • long wooden or durable spoon,
  • stick blender if you have one, or just stir
  • a food processor, grater, or the hand type grater
  • a funnel for pouring into cleaned out laundry soap containers.
  • 2 bars of Fels Naptha Soap
  • 4 cups of Washing Soda (not baking soda)
  • 4 cups borax
  • 1 cup of Bluette or other brand Bluing
  • 2 cups liquid Oxi Clean (generic from the $ store)
  • 4 cups of Fabric softener (optional, but, you don'tsp. need to worry about dryer sheets this way)

Directions:

You can find most of these ingredients at WalMart in the same general area, like on a bottom shelf.

First get 2 quarts of water boiling, stir in grated bar soap until dissolved, then remove from heat and stir in dry ingredients. Divide between 2 buckets.

To each bucket add have the bluing and Oxiclean plus the fabric softener (if you use it). Stir these until well mixed or use the stick blender. Add water to bring buckets to 3/4 full. Let sit overnight.

Next morning, stir again. It will be a gel like substance, stir very well until thoroughly blended. Pour into soap into containers 3/4 full (use funnel). Shake very well when going to use it.

I get detergent containers from recycling boxes, friends, family members. I like the big ones with the spigot on the end. You can shake it and set on shelf then measure half the cap. If you have others doing laundry, take a permanent marker and mark where half is at on the cap. Make sure they only use half. This is concentrated.

I only wash in cold water and if I have stains to pre-treat, I have an extra bar of Fels Naptha that I get the garment wet and scrub with the bar. It washes out well in the machine.

Try this! You have nothing but a half hour of time to lose and you will see how well this does and how far it goes. I was amazed when I first tried it. I added the bluing, Oxiclean, and fabric softener to the main recipe you can find anywhere. The bluing brightens whites. I don't like bleach. The Oxiclean is a little extra insurance that it will get really clean, and I use the fabric softener (like national brands do now), to not use softener sheets that clog the filter and cause problems on the life of the dryer. Happy laundry day!

By Suedobbins from Davenport, IA

January 10, 2011 Flag

I only now finally went to the website of the Duggar Family, the family from the "20 Kids and Counting" TV show, and found a treasure trove indeed! Below are 2 laundry tips that really impressed me and gave me a wake-up call with the "recipe cost."

November 15, 2011 Flag

Make your own soap. So easy and economical.

September 11, 2004 Flag

Here's a recipe to make your own laundry soap!

June 26, 2013 Flag

Many years ago when I was a student, I first found a homemade laundry detergent recipe on ThirftyFun (so long ago it wasn't even called TF yet!) and have used a variant of it for years and years.

May 20, 2004 Flag

I use Ajax, Dawn or Joy dish soap to wash my clothes. It's cheaper than Tide. Mix it 7 to 1 (Water to dish soap) in your empty laundry detergent bottle.

December 2, 2010 Flag

Using dish soap for laundry soap is cheaper, but making your own from Ivory soap bars, washing soda (not baking soda), and borax, is extremely cheap and very easy to make.

June 2, 2015 Flag

Homemade laundry soap is a combination of Fels Naptha, borax, washing and baking soda. Take 3 bars grated Fels Naptha soap, 1 box of borax, 1 box washing soda, and 1 box baking soda. Mix it all together and use it as detergent.

November 6, 2011 Flag

Making your own powdered detergent is a lot easier, less mess, and doesn't take up all the space. Here is the recipe I found online and now use.

February 7, 2016 Flag

Can I use homemade lye soap instead of the Fels Naptha? I have been making lye soap for years, and I love it. I know most store bought bar soaps are not made with real lye. They use a mixture with potassium instead of sodium. Will this make a chemical reaction I should be aware of? Please let me know. Thank you.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mother used to make lye soap and she used it in her washing machine by grating a little off the bar. I can't remember her using anything else with it. I hope this helps.

October 15, 2006 Flag

I am looking into making my own laundry soap to save some money, but will I really save money? I get my detergent on sale at the discount store and I figure that it costs about 12 cents a load. To me, that is very good. If I make my own, what will it cost per load based on your own experience.

Thank you,
Mindy from Oregon

Mindy I put the vinigar in at the first of the wash to take out odors and disenfect the laundry. I think you will like it. 2 to 3 Tablespoons will do. It says 1/4 cup but that gets expensive..

bkn

Yes you will save money. I make soap 2 times a year. I make the powder detergent. I also use white vinegar in my loads also. Remember the ingredients used can be used for other cleaning so you will save money all around.

July 18, 2015 Flag

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model 106.9708283. It does not run at all, only lights.

Load More
Make Your Own LaundryAugust 10, 2011
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
package of soap
Using Fels Naptha Soap
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 5:47:55 PM on 10.0.1.169 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.