Economical Laundry Solutions

Make your own soap. So easy and economical.

Buy a bar of Fels-Naptha soap (found at most grocery stores). Shave it or run through a food chopper, until very fine. Then melt it on a stove in a sturdy pan with 4 cups of hot water. Stir and melt until totally dissolved. Then pour into a 5 gallon bucket and add one cup of Arm and Hammer washing soda, one half cup of borax, and fill the bucket to the top with very hot water. Stir real good.

Let set overnight. It will be thick and gelled, that's OK. Stir up real good again, and fill empty soap containers with half of this concoction and fill the rest of the container with hot water. Then shake and store or use right away. Shake each time before using.

When doing wash, use about 1/2 cup per load. It works terrific! Really terrific! I have been using this for over two years now and the clothes are washed to perfection. And it's so cheap!

If you run out of fabric softener, add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle, and your clothes will be super soft.

By Sondra from AZ

I also make my own laundry detergent. But I use a bar of ivory soap instead of the Fels-Naptha soap. It is a much fresher smell.

Sondra, I use the same recipe-so cheap and easy-right.joanie

There are some very inexpensive laundry soaps out there. Especially in dollar stores.

Is this also for high efficiency (HE) washers?

I've been doing this for about a year. While I find it works well, I have noticed my whites and towels are looking dingy.