Homemade Rice Mix Recipes

Create your own homemade rice mixes similar to Rice a Roni. This page contains homemade rice mix recipes.

January 27, 2012 Flag
This is handy to have and is much cheaper than buying the pre-made mixes.

• 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
  • 2 Tbsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
  • Ad
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
  • 2 Tbsp. of butter (add when cooking)

Directions:

Combine all in storage container with a tight fitting lid.

To prepare:

Combine 2 cups water and 1 Tablespoon of butter in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir in 1 cup of the rice mix. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes till done, or use your rice cooker if you have one.

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 Minutes

Source: I do not know where I got this. I have had it a long time.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The great thing about this recipe is you can switch out the thyme with seasonings like oregano and Italian or poultry seasoning to vary the flavor. Am going to give this a try but think will increase the chicken bouillon quite a bit simply because I prefer the base flavor to be strongest of the seasonings.

Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. Reduce the rice to 2 cups and substitute the other 1 cup with vermicelli (you can find the already small type in the Mexican food isle) and then brown the vermicelli in the butter before adding the other ingredients. Doing this will make it more like Rice a Roni if you're a Roni fan.

April 21, 2011 Flag

A cheaper version of the classic Rice-a-Roni mix. I hate paying high prices for the foods my family loves and try to recreate as many as possible.

Directions:

Put pasta into food processor and cut into about 1/4 inch pieces. Add equal parts of rice to the mix.

To cook, determine how much mix you need for the meal. Add butter or oil to saute pan, add onion and pasta mix, heat mixture until the pasta turns golden brown. Add water and your choice of bouillon Add mushrooms and simmer until tender.

By Michelle from Lanett, AL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for sharing your Rice a Roni recipe! I add a little bit of minced garlic during the saute. Personally don't care for mushy mushrooms so don't use them but that's just my pickiness showing - LOL!

Also, you can save a step by purchasing pre-cut vermicelli (vermicelli is what's used in the boxed Rice a Roni). I find mine in the Mexican isle of my market and it actually costs a little less money per ounce.

Oh, one more thing! Herb Ox brand bouillon granules are available with no sodium if sodium is a health or taste issue for you. 1 tsp granules equals 1 cube.

July 21, 2014 Flag

This is a big time saver!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2004 Flag

This curried rice mix is an interesting complement for plain chicken or pork.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 20, 2012 Flag

Inspired by reading about Rice-a-Roni. We don't have it here, I made my own version. Result: a lovely smoky-tasting mix, very unusual.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 23, 2007 Flag

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until evenly distributed. Put about 1 1/3 cups into three 1-pint containers and label as "Chicken Flavored Rice Mix".

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 11, 2006 Flag

Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender...

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for the herbs in Rice a Roni? I would like to use brown rice instead of the white rice in most of their boxes.

By Derotha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love this webiste, she has a lot of recipes for convenience food mixes.

chicken flavor-

http://www.hill  hicken-ricearoni

Beef flavor-

http://www.hill  de-beef-ricaroni

Food and Recipes Recipes Convenience MixesOctober 12, 2012
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:15:58 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.