Homemade Valentine's Day Decorations

You can increase the fun associated with Valentine's Day by making your own decorations, whether simple or more elaborate. This is a guide about homemade Valentine's Day decorations.

February 8, 2010 Flag

Cut apart a milk jug or other white plastics, clear plastic from product packaging and cut hearts in several sizes.
(I used all of the milk jug except for the handle, bottom and areas too curved or thick to work with)

Use a thumb tack, thick sewing needle, or pin to punch a hole big enough to fit a small size crochet hook through.

Using your choice of cord or thread, chain stitch 20 stitches between each plastic heart (20 worked best for me). Continue until you are out of hearts or have reached the desired length of the garland. You can trace the hearts on with premade patterns or cut them out freehand.

I used a Sizzix, which is an excellent investment for those of us who are concerned with too much household trash to contend with or those who wish to keep more from going to the dumps. They even cut pop or beer cans so you can make free usable deco for use in your home or in crafting! (I will upload a photo when I am finished). Also, I have reduced my collection of saved kitchen cardboard to a neat stack of cardboard cutouts I have a plan for.

Source: My need to reduce garbage

By Melody_yesterday

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

January 18, 2012 Flag

Make some budget-friendly decorations (placemats, napkin rings, a paper garland, and heart-shaped confetti) for a special Valentine's dinner with your loved one, using red, white, and pink, with a dash of gold, as the colors of choice. Add a few beads and candles, and voila! the perfect setting for a romantic dinner-for-two.

Approximate Time: 60 minutes

Instructions:

Placemats:

1. Position one of the paper lace tray liners over the long side of a cardboard sheet, so that the lace of the liner will be close to the edge of the cardboard.
  2. Spray a layer of the rich gold paint over the tray liner. This means that the tray liner serves as a stencil.
  3. Carefully lift the tray liner (stencil), so as not to disturb the pattern that has been sprayed onto the cardboard.
  4. Repeat the process on the other long side of the cardboard.
  5. Do the same with a second cardboard, so that you will have made two placemats.
  6. Cut out the roses and decide how they will be placed on the placemats, and glue them in place.
  7. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  8. Cover the placemats front and back with the clear Contact paper: ~ see: Craft Project: Christmas Coasters for advice on how to do this.

Napkin rings:

To make the napkin rings:

1. Cut two pieces size 2.3 inches x 8.2 inches from the third marbled cardboard.
  2. Place a tray liner on a sheet of newspaper.
  3. Spray the tray liner with a layer of the rich gold paint and let it dry thoroughly.
  4. Cut two strips from the tray liner and glue each of these onto one of the 2.3 inches x 8.2 inches cardboard.
  5. Fold each cardboard into a tube to make a napkin ring and glue together where it overlaps.

Paper garland:

1. Place the cookie cutter on a sheet of red paper and trace around the edges.
  2. Move the cookie cutter to a different position on the paper and trace around the edges again.
  3. Continue until you have traced as many hearts as possible onto the paper. You should get approximately 12 hearts on a sheet of paper.
  4. Fill the second sheet of red paper with traced hearts too.
  5. Cut out all the hearts and erase any pencil marks.
  6. Use a long tacking stitch on your sewing machine to sew the hearts two-two together to make a garland.
  7. Once you have sewn over the first set of hearts, continue stitching for 10 stitches, so that you will make a string from the thread, and then sew over the second set of hearts. Stitch 10 stitches again, before adding the third set of hearts, then the fourth set, etc.
  8. Continue until all the sets of hearts have been added.
  9. Fold the hearts slightly open to create a three-dimensional effect.

Heart Confetti:

Use the heart-shaped punch to punch red and white hearts from white and red paper.

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 12, 2007 Flag

Make your own valentine tabletop tree decoration. I have tabletop tree that I decorate for each holiday. Obviously for Christmas it has small Christmas ornaments; however, I thought it was so cute I wanted to change it for each holiday or season.

Twig tree decorated with assorted Valentines.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 17, 2008 Flag

Sparkleheart! I've been experimenting with turning a sparkleball into a sparkleheart for Valentine's Day. So far so good, but if anybody else wants to give it a try, jump in!

Sparkleheart

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 11, 2010 Flag

This is such an easy yet pretty craft. These are made from plastic coated paper clips found at the local dollar store.

Lighted garland.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2013 Flag

I bought all the supplies at my local Dollar Tree store. I used a small gift box with lid included. I used small square floral Styrofoam inside the box. I cut the stems of the silk flowers and arranged them to make this beautiful silk floral Valentine arrangement.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2009 Flag

Frilly, romantic, inexpensive, simple to make, and so versatile! You can make these any size or shape you want.

Lacy Valentine Napkin Rings

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 24, 2007 Flag

Instead of the traditional Valentine cards for mom, dad, a grandparent or friend, make special banners to send your message.

Valentine banner.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 3, 2009 Flag

For Valentine's Day deco, I punched out hearts with one of my heart punches (about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide) out of red paint chips and glued skewers onto the back of them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 5, 2013 Flag

I have collected various little mementos from Valentine's Days past and decided to add them together for a pretty house decoration of memories!

Finished wreath.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Valentine's DayJanuary 8, 2013
Wedding Favor Ideas for a Valentine's Day Wedding, White and red boxes for Valentine's Day wedding favors.
Valentine's Day Wedding Favor Ideas
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 10:27:47 AM on 10.0.2.50 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.