Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta

I have a KitchenAid mixer with the pasta maker attachment. I'm dying to make my own fresh pasta, but I want to make it more wholesome and nutritional using whole wheat flour. Any ideas?

By Gregg from Victoria, BC, Canada

Answers:

Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
Directions

Stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl, or on a clean board. Make a hollow in the center, and pour in the olive oil. Break eggs into it one at a time, while mixing quickly with a fork until the dough is wet enough to come together. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is stiff and elastic. Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes to relax.

Roll out dough by hand with a rolling pin, or use a pasta machine to achieve the desired thickness of noodles. Cut into desired width and shapes. Allow the pasta to air dry for at least 15 minutes to avoid having it clump together.

Footnotes: To cook fresh pasta Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Fresh pasta cooks very quickly. It will float to the surface when fully cooked. Drain, and use as desired. good luck. (01/23/2010)

By kffrmw88

Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta

Note: When you get ready to make home meade pasta, make sure to have enough places to hang it to dry!!! The voice of experience!

One of my friends ended up laying a sheet in an unused bathtub and putting the pasta on top of that to dry. She hasn't made it since. (01/25/2010)

By cookwie

Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta

Good recipe from kkfrmw88 - you can use any regular pasta recipe and substitute 1/2 the regular flour for whole wheat. My husband and I made ravioli (shrimp) yesterday. What a mess - we had those little pockets all over the kitchen! (01/25/2010)

By phamburger

Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta

I had to laugh reading the comments on the drying process of homemade pasta. I no longer dry mine. I "nest" serving size portions of the noodles on a waxpaper lined cookie sheet and freeze them. You can also nest larger portions. When ready to use, simply put the nests in boiling water. So much simpler than having pasta draped everywhere. (01/27/2010)

By karilynn