Browsing: Housewarming Gift Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Housewarming Gift Ideas

It is traditional to present new homeowners with a housewarming gift, especially if they have a party. This is a guide about housewarming gift ideas.

Housewarming Fruit Basket
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 10, 2014 Flag

I would like to give a little gift to neighbors who just erected a new garage...ideas?

By Jan L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about a gift card for the local dollar store? They have tools, containers and car care supplies galore. Hope that helps.

House numbers... a motion sensor light... reflective lights or strips.

Take picture of garage, enlarge and frame it.

June 18, 2009 Flag

I need ideas for a house warming gift. I don't want to give the usual such as kitchen towel, etc. I want something really different and useful. This is for a work acquaintance, not a close friend. My budget is no more than $25.00, preferably less. Thank you.

By chef4u from Sylvania, OH

I have given a tool box filled with your every day tools, hammer, asst. of screwdrivers stud finder, screws, nails, pliers, and majic eraser. They loved it!

Does this person have pets? If so perhaps you could find out exactly what brand and flavor of food their fur (or scale) babies eat, get a week to a month supply (of course that will depend on how many pets, what type of pet and their size as to how much they eat LOL) and include their name(s) on the card along with your co-workers name. I know I would get a kick out of someone buying a month supply of Rachel Kitty's food (about $15.00) and having included her as part of the family in a new home :-)

It shouldn't be hard to find out what brand and flavors of food because people love to talk about their pets and you can easily find out by opening a conversation like what brand and flavor of pet food do you use because "I have a friend who (come up with a reason)" or "I am thinking about changing my pets food because" etc. ;-)

How about a First Aid or Emergency Kit?

A different tactic to take and its fun!

The Italian and a lot of the old countries had customs like these. We always gave bread, salt, and a broom. Mom would make a little gift basket and put in a loaf of Italian bread (readily available in NY), a box of salt, and a little hand held broom and dust pan. With a little card and she would write out the meanings of each item. Most people loved it and it was something unexpected from the normal house warming gift. I do it up with a pretty printed statement on fancy paper or on a scroll in the basket.

Here is what I found in a search.

This custom and tradition is not just something that Italians did. In fact there are various cultures that also give gifts to a person who purchased a new home. I can remember that when someone bought a new home you would give that person a broom, salt and bread as a gift, but as you can see below these are not the only items that one can give.

Significance

Bread You will never go hungry

Broom Sweep away the evil; Your house will always be clean

Candle You will always have light

Coin Bring good fortune for the year

Honey Represents the sweetness of life

Salt Represents life's tears; You can also place a pinch of salt at the threshold of each door and window for good luck; Mend all wounds

Wine Never go thirsty; Your home brings you happiness and joy

Wood Your life/home will always have stability, harmony and peace

Read More Answers...

September 4, 2006 Flag

Do you give a housewarming gift when a person is renting or when they are purchasing a home?

Carol from Abingdon, MD

traditionally it was kept as a celebration of owning a first home.

the first one was probably when the parents threw a party when the newlyweds were finally able to move out on their own!!!

if these are people that move a lot i might not get started on a gift for the new place theme. but if it is someone that plans on staying put i might reconsider.

it's like gift giving for the holidays. where do you stop and at what cost. its an individual thing.

Either is appropriate! I love giving a folding step stool. It's the gift I received years ago that I use daily.

When I first moved out on my own at age 21 (back in 1999), having a new place all to myself was a shock. The first time I went to the grocery store I had to purchase many items that I never would have imagined that every household would need. I'm sure that the people you are considering giving a housewarming gift would appreciate either a gift certificate to a grocery store or an offer to help them move-in and arrange things (if they haven't already). One of the best gifts I received was from an older gentleman neighbor of my parents who had a beautifully landscaped yard. He gave me a really nice houseplant that he himself had transplanted and it believe it or not, it continues to thrive in my living room to this day. Whenever I look at it, I am reminded of my home growing up and the kind neighbors I left behind. I hope that one or more of these ideas will help you out. MATT from NH

my opinion on the matter is if it's the person's 1st apt, fine. but after that wait for the house.

Read More Answers...

July 2, 2009 Flag

I wish to give a housewarming gift prior to completion of the new home. Is that considered acceptable?

By wilden from Huntsville, ON

Most people give a housewarming gift when people actually move in to the home, but these days (if you live in the USA) I think people are pretty informal. I think a simple gift would be nice. You can also get something else when they actually move in if you wish. People always appreciate the thought behind a gift, just don't make it to expensive or to fancy! (& hopefully they'll have a place to store it!)

If the house is still being built I would wonder if they have someplace to store it. So, I would probably give a rose bush or fruit tree or something of that nature. That's what I would like. But whatever you do, I'm sure it will be fine and they will appreciate it. Good Luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I have to wonder why you want to do it now? Is it something they can use immediately?

October 8, 2004 Flag

I needed a housewarming present for my cousin's daughters and I didn't have any money. But I do have a lot of plants, so I've started taking cuttings and rooting them in water for about two months now. They're now ready for transplanting and make a nice, thrifty gift to give the new homeowners.

By springmaid5

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 11, 2004 Flag

When faced with having to buy a house warming gift for a friend I never know what to get someone until I came up with this tip. I love flowers and gardening. On the spur of the moment I needed something nice so I looked around my yard for something I could give. A friend had given me some Hens and chicks and they had really spread so I went and got one of the big heads and planted it in a nice pot with a bow. My friends loved it. I have given irises, a few shoots off my antique rose bushes (you know the little suckers that grow off the bottom) and day lilies for their yard. Most have moved into new homes where landscaping was at a minimum. These were really appreciate gifts.

By Debra in Colorado

Holidays and Parties Gifts HousewarmingMarch 9, 2013
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Young woman sitting next to moving boxes.
First Apartment Gift Basket Ideas
Whiskbroom Angel
Making a Whiskbroom Angel
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 8:33:39 AM on 10.0.0.242 in 559 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.