Housewarming Gift Ideas

It is traditional to present new homeowners with a housewarming gift, especially if they have a party. This is a guide about housewarming gift ideas.

May 10, 2014 Flag

I would like to give a little gift to neighbors who just erected a new garage...ideas?

By Jan L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about a gift card for the local dollar store? They have tools, containers and car care supplies galore. Hope that helps.

House numbers... a motion sensor light... reflective lights or strips.

Take picture of garage, enlarge and frame it.

June 18, 2009 Flag

I need ideas for a house warming gift. I don't want to give the usual such as kitchen towel, etc. I want something really different and useful. This is for a work acquaintance, not a close friend. My budget is no more than $25.00, preferably less. Thank you.

By chef4u from Sylvania, OH

What about something that really does warm a house? An inexpensive large plastic bowl filled with different flavors of microwave popcorn, a nicely scented larger candle and some kitchen matches, and a TV guide type book, or local newspaper, college paper, etc. All of these would be about that price range.

You can't go wrong with photo frames. Everyone loves to display their family and friends. For your budget, you could get a nice basket and some different mini frames and candles from the D. Tree and have a nice gift. Also, if the co worker is a cook, the DT also has a nice array of cookbooks.

If they like wine, you can get some nice glasses and packaged cheeses. I find the soaps in those prepackaged gifts you get to be cheap and harsh, but a nice gift card from a bed and bath would be nice too. Good Luck

Go to the website Etsy.com and you'll find categories for everything, and it's all gorgeous handmade things by artists. You won't believe how much beautiful stuff there is. You can arrange the items by price, cheapest to highest and that way you can find something in your price range. Anything from handmade note cards to salt and pepper shakers, cutting boards, wall hangings, soap, place mats, garden items, etc.

Have fun and enjoy!

I have given a tool box filled with your every day tools, hammer, asst. of screwdrivers stud finder, screws, nails, pliers, and majic eraser. They loved it!

Does this person have pets? If so perhaps you could find out exactly what brand and flavor of food their fur (or scale) babies eat, get a week to a month supply (of course that will depend on how many pets, what type of pet and their size as to how much they eat LOL) and include their name(s) on the card along with your co-workers name. I know I would get a kick out of someone buying a month supply of Rachel Kitty's food (about $15.00) and having included her as part of the family in a new home :-)

It shouldn't be hard to find out what brand and flavors of food because people love to talk about their pets and you can easily find out by opening a conversation like what brand and flavor of pet food do you use because "I have a friend who (come up with a reason)" or "I am thinking about changing my pets food because" etc. ;-)

How about a First Aid or Emergency Kit?

September 4, 2006 Flag

Do you give a housewarming gift when a person is renting or when they are purchasing a home?

Carol from Abingdon, MD

I think candles are always a nice housewarming gift, and whether renting or owning a place it is still nice to give a little housewarming gift.

Hi Carol, I agree a gift is always thoughtful and welcome. We generally make up an "instant" fire. Fill a box with everything for a fire in the fireplace. It is always greeted favorably.

I think that a gift should be given only when you want to give one....and anything I am sure would be appreciated. A nice candle..baked brownies...and door wreath...a small planter .....the list goes on and on..give from your heart...and they'll appreciate it no matter if their buying or renting....it's the thoughtfulness that counts....good luck.deb

traditionally it was kept as a celebration of owning a first home.

the first one was probably when the parents threw a party when the newlyweds were finally able to move out on their own!!!

if these are people that move a lot i might not get started on a gift for the new place theme. but if it is someone that plans on staying put i might reconsider.

it's like gift giving for the holidays. where do you stop and at what cost. its an individual thing.

Either is appropriate! I love giving a folding step stool. It's the gift I received years ago that I use daily.

When I first moved out on my own at age 21 (back in 1999), having a new place all to myself was a shock. The first time I went to the grocery store I had to purchase many items that I never would have imagined that every household would need. I'm sure that the people you are considering giving a housewarming gift would appreciate either a gift certificate to a grocery store or an offer to help them move-in and arrange things (if they haven't already). One of the best gifts I received was from an older gentleman neighbor of my parents who had a beautifully landscaped yard. He gave me a really nice houseplant that he himself had transplanted and it believe it or not, it continues to thrive in my living room to this day. Whenever I look at it, I am reminded of my home growing up and the kind neighbors I left behind. I hope that one or more of these ideas will help you out. MATT from NH

October 8, 2004 Flag

I needed a housewarming present for my cousin's daughters and I didn't have any money. But I do have a lot of plants, so I've started taking cuttings and rooting them in water for about two months now. They're now ready for transplanting and make a nice, thrifty gift to give the new homeowners.

By springmaid5

Talking about plants, I have brought my plant fillers in for winter and have taken cuttings off them. Some are also going as new plants today for a housewarming present for a 20 year old nephew and his roommates in their new apartment. All the other cuttings are going to be potted up, kept growing for winter, keep taking cuttings off them and in the spring I will have lots of plant fillers for the dozens of planters I have around here in summer. Plus I will have extras for the annual garage sale of perennials, bulbs and annuals that my grirlfriend and I hold in the end of May. We divide plants from our house and yard and it has been amazing the response we have had. We pull in approximately $1500 in a morning (Canadian) just from plants that are "extras" around our yard and house. Have you,springmaid5, thought of putting some of your plants at a friend's yard sale?

July 2, 2009 Flag

I wish to give a housewarming gift prior to completion of the new home. Is that considered acceptable?

By wilden from Huntsville, ON

Most people give a housewarming gift when people actually move in to the home, but these days (if you live in the USA) I think people are pretty informal. I think a simple gift would be nice. You can also get something else when they actually move in if you wish. People always appreciate the thought behind a gift, just don't make it to expensive or to fancy! (& hopefully they'll have a place to store it!)

If the house is still being built I would wonder if they have someplace to store it. So, I would probably give a rose bush or fruit tree or something of that nature. That's what I would like. But whatever you do, I'm sure it will be fine and they will appreciate it. Good Luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I have to wonder why you want to do it now? Is it something they can use immediately?

October 11, 2004 Flag

When faced with having to buy a house warming gift for a friend I never know what to get someone until I came up with this tip. I love flowers and gardening. On the spur of the moment I needed something nice so I looked around my yard for something I could give. A friend had given me some Hens and chicks and they had really spread so I went and got one of the big heads and planted it in a nice pot with a bow. My friends loved it. I have given irises, a few shoots off my antique rose bushes (you know the little suckers that grow off the bottom) and day lilies for their yard. Most have moved into new homes where landscaping was at a minimum. These were really appreciate gifts.

By Debra in Colorado

Holidays and Parties Gifts HousewarmingMarch 9, 2013
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Young woman sitting next to moving boxes.
First Apartment Gift Basket Ideas
Whiskbroom Angel
Making a Whiskbroom Angel
🎉
🎄