Housewarming Gift Ideas

It is traditional to present new homeowners with a housewarming gift, especially if they have a party. This is a guide about housewarming gift ideas.

Filter Sort

Question: When should you give a housewarming gift?

Do you give a housewarming gift when a person is renting or when they are purchasing a home?

Carol from Abingdon, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

my opinion on the matter is if it's the person's 1st apt, fine. but after that wait for the house.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Housewarming Gift Ideas

By Kathy 64 333

I need ideas for a house warming gift. I don't want to give the usual such as kitchen towel, etc. I want something really different and useful. This is for a work acquaintance, not a close friend. My budget is no more than $25.00, preferably less. Thank you.

By chef4u from Sylvania, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Laura 154 Flag

A different tactic to take and its fun!

The Italian and a lot of the old countries had customs like these. We always gave bread, salt, and a broom. Mom would make a little gift basket and put in a loaf of Italian bread (readily available in NY), a box of salt, and a little hand held broom and dust pan. With a little card and she would write out the meanings of each item. Most people loved it and it was something unexpected from the normal house warming gift. I do it up with a pretty printed statement on fancy paper or on a scroll in the basket.

Here is what I found in a search.

This custom and tradition is not just something that Italians did. In fact there are various cultures that also give gifts to a person who purchased a new home. I can remember that when someone bought a new home you would give that person a broom, salt and bread as a gift, but as you can see below these are not the only items that one can give.

Significance

Bread You will never go hungry

Broom Sweep away the evil; Your house will always be clean

Candle You will always have light

Coin Bring good fortune for the year

Honey Represents the sweetness of life

Salt Represents life's tears; You can also place a pinch of salt at the threshold of each door and window for good luck; Mend all wounds

Wine Never go thirsty; Your home brings you happiness and joy

Wood Your life/home will always have stability, harmony and peace

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gift to Celebrate New Garage

I would like to give a little gift to neighbors who just erected a new garage...ideas?

By Jan L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By karenlynn 3 32 Flag

Take picture of garage, enlarge and frame it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Housewarming Gift Etiquette

By Dennis Wilks 1

I wish to give a housewarming gift prior to completion of the new home. Is that considered acceptable?

By wilden from Huntsville, ON

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Coreen Hart 78 376 Flag

I have to wonder why you want to do it now? Is it something they can use immediately?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Frugal Housewarming Gift

I needed a housewarming present for my cousin's daughters and I didn't have any money. But I do have a lot of plants, so I've started taking cuttings and rooting them in water for about two months now. They're now ready for transplanting and make a nice, thrifty gift to give the new homeowners.

By springmaid5

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Green Housewarming Gift

When faced with having to buy a house warming gift for a friend I never know what to get someone until I came up with this tip. I love flowers and gardening. On the spur of the moment I needed something nice so I looked around my yard for something I could give. A friend had given me some Hens and chicks and they had really spread so I went and got one of the big heads and planted it in a nice pot with a bow. My friends loved it. I have given irises, a few shoots off my antique rose bushes (you know the little suckers that grow off the bottom) and day lilies for their yard. Most have moved into new homes where landscaping was at a minimum. These were really appreciate gifts.

By Debra in Colorado

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Housewarming Fruit Basket
Holidays and Parties Gifts HousewarmingMarch 9, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A man giving a gift to his wife.
Gift Ideas for Your Wife
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Young woman sitting next to moving boxes.
First Apartment Gift Basket Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:27:14 PM on 10.0.2.27 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings