Housewarming Gift Ideas

It is traditional to present new homeowners with a housewarming gift, especially if they have a party. This is a guide about housewarming gift ideas.

Housewarming Fruit Basket
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I would like to give a little gift to neighbors who just erected a new garage...ideas?

By Jan L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take picture of garage, enlarge and frame it.

Read More Answers...

I need ideas for a house warming gift. I don't want to give the usual such as kitchen towel, etc. I want something really different and useful. This is for a work acquaintance, not a close friend. My budget is no more than $25.00, preferably less. Thank you.

By chef4u from Sylvania, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A different tactic to take and its fun!

The Italian and a lot of the old countries had customs like these. We always gave bread, salt, and a broom. Mom would make a little gift basket and put in a loaf of Italian bread (readily available in NY), a box of salt, and a little hand held broom and dust pan. With a little card and she would write out the meanings of each item. Most people loved it and it was something unexpected from the normal house warming gift. I do it up with a pretty printed statement on fancy paper or on a scroll in the basket.

Here is what I found in a search.

This custom and tradition is not just something that Italians did. In fact there are various cultures that also give gifts to a person who purchased a new home. I can remember that when someone bought a new home you would give that person a broom, salt and bread as a gift, but as you can see below these are not the only items that one can give.

Significance

Bread You will never go hungry

Broom Sweep away the evil; Your house will always be clean

Candle You will always have light

Coin Bring good fortune for the year

Honey Represents the sweetness of life

Salt Represents life's tears; You can also place a pinch of salt at the threshold of each door and window for good luck; Mend all wounds

Wine Never go thirsty; Your home brings you happiness and joy

Wood Your life/home will always have stability, harmony and peace

Read More Answers...

Do you give a housewarming gift when a person is renting or when they are purchasing a home?

Carol from Abingdon, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

my opinion on the matter is if it's the person's 1st apt, fine. but after that wait for the house.

Read More Answers...

I wish to give a housewarming gift prior to completion of the new home. Is that considered acceptable?

By wilden from Huntsville, ON

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have to wonder why you want to do it now? Is it something they can use immediately?

Read More Answers...

I needed a housewarming present for my cousin's daughters and I didn't have any money. But I do have a lot of plants, so I've started taking cuttings and rooting them in water for about two months now. They're now ready for transplanting and make a nice, thrifty gift to give the new homeowners.

By springmaid5

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When faced with having to buy a house warming gift for a friend I never know what to get someone until I came up with this tip. I love flowers and gardening. On the spur of the moment I needed something nice so I looked around my yard for something I could give. A friend had given me some Hens and chicks and they had really spread so I went and got one of the big heads and planted it in a nice pot with a bow. My friends loved it. I have given irises, a few shoots off my antique rose bushes (you know the little suckers that grow off the bottom) and day lilies for their yard. Most have moved into new homes where landscaping was at a minimum. These were really appreciate gifts.

By Debra in Colorado

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Holidays and Parties Gifts HousewarmingMarch 9, 2013
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Young woman sitting next to moving boxes.
First Apartment Gift Basket Ideas
Whiskbroom Angel
Making a Whiskbroom Angel
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 1, 2016 at 3:44:28 AM on 10.0.2.221 in 536 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.