Re-Dyeing Hair

Maintaining the health of your hair when using hair dyes keeps it looking good but how long should you wait before dyeing it again? This guide is about re-dyeing hair?

March 9, 2016 Flag

Take a look down any aisle devoted to hair care products. More than likely, you will find a section displaying hair coloring products. You may see a myriad of different brands, colors, and degrees of permanence. What you won't see, is the word 'dye'. Technically, permanent hair color is a dye, but decades ago, the beauty industry decided the word was... well, crude. Since that time, the word 'color' has served as its replacement. The word 'color' applies to all degrees of permanence including permanent color/tint, semi permanent color, and toner (toners are applied to pre bleached hair). The word is also used in reference to temporary rinses, although to a lesser degree.

Some people have become pretty good at coloring their hair at home. But, if you're one of those people who dumps a bottle of 'dye' on their hair, doesn't like the resulting color, and can't wait to dump another bottle of dye on their hair....well, what can I say? You get what you deserve. Fortunately, most oranges and greens can be corrected, but should only be attempted by a licensed professional.

There is so much to know about coloring hair. I could write a book. Indeed, books have been written on the subject. I have a copy of the Clairol hair coloring handbook published in the early sixties, long before L'Oreal and others were clamoring to get into a market that was held almost exclusively by Roux and Clairol.

There are as many different products as there are ways to color your hair. There are temporary/weekly rinses. These may be commercially produced but include homemade rinses, often vegetable in origin. At one time, strong brewed tea was a popular temporary color for grey or light colored hair. It has been written that at one time there was a shortage of flour in England, due to the fact all the upper class were powdering their dingy wool periwigs with lots and lots of flour.

Semi permanent colors became popular in the sixties. Loving Care was the top seller. Designed to 'cover grey' and to be applied every month to six weeks, these semi permanent colors were often referred to as 'progressive dyes', as was henna . However, there was no commercial reference to all the white haired, little old ladies who were now sporting black, black hair with 'cow dung green' ends.

I'll jump ahead and briefly touch on toners and then get back to the main subject. Toners are delicate blond colors. Before applying a toner, and depending on the color choice, the hair must be pre bleached to either the gold, yellow, or pale yellow stage. Example: if you now have black hair and want to be platinum blond, your hair must go through seven stages of pre- bleach lightening, bringing the hair to a pale yellow, before applying a platinum toner.

And now, the product most reached for by the home grown, would be, beautician (not cosmetologist, as they have earned that title and are licensed by a state board cosmetic art examiner).

Permanent colors were formulated originally to permanently cover grey hair. They had no lifting (lightening) action. They produced a dull, single color. It was discovered that by adding lightening action, grey could be covered while at the same time, the pigmented (not yet turned grey) hair could be lightened a few shades. This produced a more natural look, as it left the hair with several intermediate shades, rather than one flat color.

I think this lifting action is the one factor most misunderstood by the do it yourself colorist. If your hair is dark and you color it a lighter shade, the color product will lighten the hair and deposit the lighter color at the same time. This is good for those who want to go only two or three shades lighter than their natural color because these products are very limited in their lightening action.

If you are a medium brown, you cannot color your hair to a light honey blond with these 'one step' color products. A great deal of the natural pigment (any pigment darker than the honey blond you want to be) must first be removed and then the honey blond applied. As stated, these one step colors are limited in their bleaching action. They would probably lighten the medium brown hair only to the red stage. Applying a light honey blond color to red hair will not result in a honey blond shade. This, I think, is where and why so many people write to ThriftyFun seeking advice about what to do for their orange hair.

I think the second most asked question concerning at home 'dye jobs' is 'How soon can I re dye my hair? Usually, 24 hours is enough lapsed time. There are exceptions. These exceptions are made based on the condition of your scalp. There should be no tenderness or sensitivity to any degree prior to re- coloring the hair. If you are re-dyeing your hair to a darker color, the longer you wait, the better. This is because dark colors can go too dark on very recently colored hair. Also, the more time you give your scalp to 'rest', the less staining you will have to the scalp and hairline.

A good rule of thumb would be 'Do not expect these one step color products to color your hair more than two or three shades lighter than your natural color without resulting in unwanted reds or oranges. So, if you are 'dark' and want to go 'light', the only way you can do this without getting reds or oranges, is to first bleach the hair lighter than these reds and oranges. Then apply the desired blond shade. If you are dark and want to be blond, but are not willing to go through the required pre bleaching, then your best choice would be to settle for a slightly lighter shade with added red, ash, gold, honey, or whatever, highlights OR, leave your hair the color it now is.

Three last, but very important notes: If you re-dye your hair to a darker color, choose a shade two or three shades lighter than the desired color. Previously treated hair will be more porous and will 'grab' more color, resulting in a color much darker than that shown on the bottle or box.

If your ends are quite porous, apply the re-color to those ends for only the last 10 minutes of the processing time.

And maybe most important of all: Do a test strand first! This will show you what the entire hair will look like and may save yourself a few tears.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I dyed my hair a dirty blonde and that was 4 days ago is it safe to dye it a auburn brown the brand name of the hair dye is colorsilk

I bleached and dyed my hair last night. I wanted a light ash blonde but it's more light blonde than ash. I have another bottle of the light ash blonde and the developer I used last night and some ash intensifier I purchased from Sally's. I was wondering if coloring it with the light ash blonde with the ash intensifier added would give me more of the ashy look I wanted or if it would ruin the light blonde my hair is now?

Read More Comments...

January 13, 2016 Flag

I've recently bleached and toned and dyed my way too silver (January 1st). Now that I've obtained the color, I'm wondering how long I should wait before going to a salon and having them dye it a normal color again. Will I have to lift my hair again to get back to my natural color or can they dye over the gray? I don't want to make an appointment too early, but the gray/silver just doesn't suit me like I had hoped. Thank you so much for your help in advance! The picture above is my hair color currently!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't know what you used to dye your hair but I just saw a post about Feria boxed hair color and how it is very damaging to your hair when you try to remove it. I would definitely consult with a hairdresser that is experienced in touch-up or recoloring. Good luck. The gray was a neat look, I hope you enjoyed it.

I dyed my hair blonde at the tips for the first time from a dye box (my hair is dark brown), but there was no change at all. Can I redye to get the color I want in the same week, or should I wait four weeks as the website says?

Read More Answers...

November 18, 2015 Flag

I went to the salon today with blonde hair I asked for a dark blonde color. I walked out and noticed my hair looks grey! Can I box dye it the dark blonde I want?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You should return to the salon! You did not receive the color you wanted and the hair stylist apparently did something wrong? The salon is responsible to provide the service you paid for so return, explain the problem and the salon should correct the problem for your hair.

Best Answer

I think what you have is ash blonde. I color my hair myself and right after I color it, it also looks grey. Clairol Nice'n Easy ash blonde. After about 5 washings, it lightens up considerably. Wash it every day for a week before you take drastic measures. If you still don't like it, return to the salon. Don't try coloring it yourself since you don't know what the salon used and applying another color might damage your hair..

Read More Answers...

November 6, 2016 Flag

Can I recolor my hair 1 week after just doing it with dye from drugstore? It is too light and I decided I like medium blonde better.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my opinion I would wait at a minimum of 3 weeks, the pros suggest 4 weeks. It also depends on how healthy your hair is. If it was me I would wait since your hair is not a wild horrible color. I would also do a real good conditioning after the second dye. Hope this helps!

I would wait at least 2 or 3 weeks. I color my hair myself, so I know how you feel. There are several hair rinses and color foam that will improve the color on a temporary basis until you can safely color again. The rinses and foam have to be reapplied each time you shampoo.

Read More Answers...

December 18, 2011 Flag

Recently I dyed my hair to red, but I don't seem to like it very much. How long do I have to wait to re-dye my hair? Will the result be good?

By Jaime

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Call the toll-free phone number on the box of hair color and ask for advice. Red hair color fades very quickly so if you can, wait a few weeks and the color may then be something you can live with.

Best Answer

There is a product called Oops that will remove the color you dyed it.

Read More Answers...

August 15, 2015 Flag

Last night I had attempted to dye my darkish brown hair blonde with a semi-permanent hair dye. I didn't like the results no blonde was made to my hair. How long will it be till I can re-dye my hair?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Semi-permanent hair color washes out in 6-12 shampoos. Wash it every day and you ought to be able to color it in a week or so. BTW, you can't lighten your hair with a semi-permanent hair color because it has no peroxide (that's what lifts the color out of your hair). Hope it works out better for you next time!

Dyed MN y hair from med red to blonde gone some orange bots help ok though but need to re dye

Read More Answers...

March 8, 2016 Flag

I bleached and dyed my hair five days ago. When would it be good for me to dye it again?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't find that bleach, when properly applied to strong, healthy hair to be damaging. I don't think Jean Harlow or Marilyn Monroe did either. Do know that bleaching leaves the hair more porous and with less tensile strength. It should be treated more gently. Conditioners may be required to keep the hair looking its best and special shampoos may be needed to prevent stripping of the delicate toners usually applied to pre bleached hair.

I do hope when you say you 'dyed' your bleached hair, that you used a toner made especially for pre bleached hair. If you did, in fact, apply a regular, permanent color to your pre bleached hair, you are asking for trouble by coloring it, again. The darker the color you applied, the more trouble you can expect. You should know that recoloring bleached and 'dyed' hair does not remove the 'dye' you first used. What you would be doing amounts to adding color on top of color... and the results are likely to be a strange and too dark color.

If you properly bleached and toned your hair, it could be safely recolored to approximate the color you had before bleaching. The use of special fillers may be required as a prerequisite. Do you even know what a 'filler' is? The procedure would require the expertise of a professional colorist, lest you end up with very damaged hair. The fact that you ask if it would be good for you to 'dye' your hair again is clear evidence you do not have the knowledge required for what you are attempting.

I've nothing against people coloring their own hair, but in this case, unless you are willing to seek out and pay for professional services, you are likely to be much more dissatisfied with a third color, than you were with your original color or the color you had after bleaching and 'dyeing' your hair.

Bleach and dye are incredibly damaging, Brandi. Why not try living with the results for a few months until new growth is long enough to style? Treating your hair again before then will very probably result in severe damage and breakage. Your other option would be to buy a wig.

Read More Answers...

March 1, 2016 Flag

I dyed my hair last night and it's come out far too blonde. It is much higher than I thought it would be. I really hate it! What can I do? I was told to wait to go to the salon.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes. The corrective work should be done by a professional. If you should decide to recolor your hair, yourself, you should choose a color several (at least 2) shades lighter than you want the end result to be. Bleached and toned (not 'dyed') hair will 'grab' dark colors and end up much darker than the color shown on the bottle.

By all means go ahead and re-dye your hair! Ignore all the good advice and common sense. When your hair starts breaking and huge chunks show up in your hairbrush, you might want to remember to i) do a little research before taking such measures, ii) actions have consquences we can't always foresee and iii) you looked pretty good before you did anything to change your appearnce.

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2016 Flag

What happens if you re-dye your hair (with permanent colour) the day after using a colour remover?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You pretty much deplete all the nutrients from your hair. Depending on our natural colour (red and white blonde being the most fragile, brunette being the strongest), your hair may become very fragile and break easily. Consider doing a test with a small portion before you do your entire head?

Two or three things could happen. Rather than go into detail about each one, it would be best if you found out for yourself.

If you haven't done this procedure yet but plan to, after the color remover treatment, do a strand test of the color. If you like what you see, you can proceed with the entire head.

If you don't like the results of the strand test, you will then know not to proceed with a full head treatment.

Read More Answers...

September 9, 2015 Flag

Can someone give me advice? I dyed my hair a week ago using Nice and Easy natural medium blonde. It turned out fine, there are some shades of orange that are not bright but enough to make me want to do it again. I went and got a shade lighter, Natural Baby Blonde, would it be okay to redo it? I recently had a baby so this is first time I have dyed it for 9 months. Can anyone help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can reapply Nice and Easy in as little as one week. Using a product to soften the orange color will only make the orange more noticeable, and going to a lighter shade of color will have less effect at covering that orange (In fact, its increased lifting action may produce more orange). A reapplication of your first color choice might be better at covering the orange. It would have been helpful to know your original hair color and texture.

I did Revlon Nice an easy medium ash blonde box dye an concealed out all my orange an reds after I bleached it gave me some blonde highlights an I love it also gonna try the revlon highlight kit 

Read More Answers...

November 14, 2011 Flag

Can I re-dye my hair the same day? It's alburn red, and too red for me. I can't go out of my house, I will stop traffic it's so red. Can I dye it back to brown the same day or at least the next day?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 8, 2013
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄