Re-Dyeing Hair

Many times after dyeing your hair you decide you don't like it and want to try a different color. This page has advice about re-dyeing your hair, including how long you should wait before dyeing it again.

December 18, 2011 Flag

Recently I dyed my hair to red, but I don't seem to like it very much. How long do I have to wait to re-dye my hair? Will the result be good?

By Jaime

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There is a product called Oops that will remove the color you dyed it.

November 14, 2011 Flag

Can I re-dye my hair the same day? It's alburn red, and too red for me. I can't go out of my house, I will stop traffic it's so red. Can I dye it back to brown the same day or at least the next day?

By Tami P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would just try washing it a couple of times with regular shampoo. I find that even my "for colored hair" shampoo softens up the color after a couple of washings.

June 25, 2010 Flag

I just recently went to the salon and got black stripped out of my hair and had them dye it back to a light brown. How long should I wait to dye my hair again? I was wanting to dye it Burgundy with blonde underneath.

By PandaKiwi from Bedford, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Deciding how long to wait to re-dye your hair depends on several factors. If you apply more hair dye too soon, it could cause severe damage to the hair follicles, leaving your hair dry and brittle. Dyeing your hair again too soon can also cause you to choose the wrong color to re-apply, as the condition of your hair may cause it to absorb more or less of the color.

The Conditions:

First you need to think about why you want to re-dye your hair already. Is the color wrong? If it is too dark, try washing your hair several more times to see if it will lighten up. Maybe the change in your appearance just takes some getting used to. Give it a couple of days before you make any decisions regarding re-dying your hair.

Before you actually decide to re-dye your hair, look at the overall condition of the hair. If the hair appears dry and brittle with a lot of split ends, you should consider conditioning it before applying any more chemicals. More chemicals now will only worsen the damage. Soak your hair in a quality hot oil treatment or a quality conditioner before you do anything.

If your hair has been dyed by a professional salon and looks to be in good condition you can re-dye it after a couple of weeks. It would be best to return to the same salon, considering the fact that your first results were good. The quality of dyes, shampoos and conditioners used in salons are usually better than what we use at home.

Products:

If you have dyed your hair at home with good results, be sure to use the same brand of dye that you used the first time. Always stick with something you are pleased with. Cheaper hair dyes may be harsher on your hair and will result in damage that may require a professional's help to repair.

Wait as long as possible between hair colorings. The longer you wait the less your hair and skin is exposed to harsh chemicals. You should never re-dye your hair if the first coloring resulted in burning skin or any rashes in the scalp. This could be an allergic reaction to something in the dye. Check with a professional stylist.

Professional Help:

If you are at all unsure about dying your hair at home, you should have it done in a salon by someone who is used to working with hair dye. Using the wrong dye, or not applying it correctly, could leave your hair looking much worse than you think it did originally.

Hair dye is a chemical, and you should always handle it safely. Avoid getting the solution in your eyes, and make sure you are in a well ventilated area when you apply it to your hair. The dye will stain clothing and anything else it spills on as easily as it dyes your hair.

Once the dye has been applied to your hair and thoroughly rinsed out, follow up by using a quality shampoo and conditioner that are made for dyed hair. This will insure that your hair remains in the best condition possible. Good luck.

December 23, 2016 Flag

I dyed my natural dark brown hair to red. About 6 months later I color removed my hair and dyed it dark brown. It's been about 2 months and I want to go back to red again. The dye that I used to dye my hair is for people with dark hair. Should I color remove my hair first and then dye my hair back to red? Or should I dye it and not use color remover?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Save hairs from your brush. When you have enough, separate into two bundles. Dye one with the remover and the other without. See which one comes out better.

January 5, 2017 Flag

I dyed my hair blue about a week and a half ago. I had to bleach it because it was a really dark brown, but since it bleached unevenly the blue is greyish in some parts and really vibrant blue on other parts and on my roots it's a little blonde. Do I redye it all blue again or do I need to bleach it all over again?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sorry, but you'll need to bleach again. Blue doesn't get vibrant until your hair is pale yellow (almost white). Think of the colour almost like cellophane. Anywhere where it's still orange, and it will go a strange greyish or greenish colour.

On the other hand I don't think you put enough on - since it sounds like you did miss some of your roots, which being the newest hair bleaches the best and uptakes dye the best. It is easy to miss roots. You need HEAPS of dye the first time when dyeing with bright colours over virgin bleach, and you have to be very methodical.

I don't know how much money you've got, you could try putting a bit more blue on if you don't have much $, but if I was you, I would carefully rebleach the parts of your hair that aren't pale yellow (and now blue) yet. Use a brush, work in layers, get someone to help you or use mirrors/camera. Work as fast as you can - work in cold surrounds if you have to go slowly as this will slow down the bleaching reaction, then you can put a plastic bag over the whole thing and (very) gently heat it. Avoid your roots if they're pale blonde, else redo them. You may have to do a few passes. Conservative application of bleach is a little more expensive (as in don't put too much on for too long) but saves over-frying bits of your hair. Believe me, I've been there. If I was going to bleach my hair to get blue, I'd probably in bleach in three to four passes, the last couple to nix out some yellow/orange streaks, but if my hair was long (it was usually chin length) I'd take five or six passes, and put some protein treatments on, shampoo, conditioner, "rest" the hair for a few days. Since you bleached a week and a half ago I think you could bleach now. I use 30 - 40 vol peroxide strength. 40vol is for strong thick hair. Don't bother with supermarket boxes promising blonde.

Also, whether your hair will take bleaching to pale yellow, especially on the ends, depends on how old the ends of the hair is, how you've looked after it, your health and age, and your type and thickness of hair. Some people's hair just cannot hack bleaching to pale yellow. My hair is thick so it can bleach pale pretty well provided it's not too long, but with age it's harder. You're probably young though.

Blue is the most difficult for a DIY beginner. Red (and purple to a lesser degree) will stick on unevenly bleached hair MUCH better. Use those colours in a pinch if you're in a bind, colour over the blue. Good luck.

January 2, 2017 Flag

I dyed my hair December 11. Now that it's January 2 is it OK to go ahead and dye it again?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depends. Is it in good shape? Not dried out or frizzy? If in good condition, you should be ok. If not, condition, trim and wait awhile.

January 13, 2016 Flag

I've recently bleached and toned and dyed my way too silver (January 1st). Now that I've obtained the color, I'm wondering how long I should wait before going to a salon and having them dye it a normal color again. Will I have to lift my hair again to get back to my natural color or can they dye over the gray? I don't want to make an appointment too early, but the gray/silver just doesn't suit me like I had hoped. Thank you so much for your help in advance! The picture above is my hair color currently!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't know what you used to dye your hair but I just saw a post about Feria boxed hair color and how it is very damaging to your hair when you try to remove it. I would definitely consult with a hairdresser that is experienced in touch-up or recoloring. Good luck. The gray was a neat look, I hope you enjoyed it.

November 18, 2015 Flag

I went to the salon today with blonde hair I asked for a dark blonde color. I walked out and noticed my hair looks grey! Can I box dye it the dark blonde I want?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You should return to the salon! You did not receive the color you wanted and the hair stylist apparently did something wrong? The salon is responsible to provide the service you paid for so return, explain the problem and the salon should correct the problem for your hair.

August 15, 2015 Flag

Last night I had attempted to dye my darkish brown hair blonde with a semi-permanent hair dye. I didn't like the results no blonde was made to my hair. How long will it be till I can re-dye my hair?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Semi-permanent hair color washes out in 6-12 shampoos. Wash it every day and you ought to be able to color it in a week or so. BTW, you can't lighten your hair with a semi-permanent hair color because it has no peroxide (that's what lifts the color out of your hair). Hope it works out better for you next time!

November 6, 2016 Flag

Can I recolor my hair 1 week after just doing it with dye from drugstore? It is too light and I decided I like medium blonde better.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my opinion I would wait at a minimum of 3 weeks, the pros suggest 4 weeks. It also depends on how healthy your hair is. If it was me I would wait since your hair is not a wild horrible color. I would also do a real good conditioning after the second dye. Hope this helps!

March 8, 2016 Flag

I bleached and dyed my hair five days ago. When would it be good for me to dye it again?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't find that bleach, when properly applied to strong, healthy hair to be damaging. I don't think Jean Harlow or Marilyn Monroe did either. Do know that bleaching leaves the hair more porous and with less tensile strength. It should be treated more gently. Conditioners may be required to keep the hair looking its best and special shampoos may be needed to prevent stripping of the delicate toners usually applied to pre bleached hair.

I do hope when you say you 'dyed' your bleached hair, that you used a toner made especially for pre bleached hair. If you did, in fact, apply a regular, permanent color to your pre bleached hair, you are asking for trouble by coloring it, again. The darker the color you applied, the more trouble you can expect. You should know that recoloring bleached and 'dyed' hair does not remove the 'dye' you first used. What you would be doing amounts to adding color on top of color... and the results are likely to be a strange and too dark color.

If you properly bleached and toned your hair, it could be safely recolored to approximate the color you had before bleaching. The use of special fillers may be required as a prerequisite. Do you even know what a 'filler' is? The procedure would require the expertise of a professional colorist, lest you end up with very damaged hair. The fact that you ask if it would be good for you to 'dye' your hair again is clear evidence you do not have the knowledge required for what you are attempting.

I've nothing against people coloring their own hair, but in this case, unless you are willing to seek out and pay for professional services, you are likely to be much more dissatisfied with a third color, than you were with your original color or the color you had after bleaching and 'dyeing' your hair.

September 9, 2015 Flag

Can someone give me advice? I dyed my hair a week ago using Nice and Easy natural medium blonde. It turned out fine, there are some shades of orange that are not bright but enough to make me want to do it again. I went and got a shade lighter, Natural Baby Blonde, would it be okay to redo it? I recently had a baby so this is first time I have dyed it for 9 months. Can anyone help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can reapply Nice and Easy in as little as one week. Using a product to soften the orange color will only make the orange more noticeable, and going to a lighter shade of color will have less effect at covering that orange (In fact, its increased lifting action may produce more orange). A reapplication of your first color choice might be better at covering the orange. It would have been helpful to know your original hair color and texture.

April 16, 2016 Flag

I dyed my hair 3 weeks ago light beige with Nice and Easy, but it's a ginger colour and it looks like a coconut. I would like to dye it natural lighter golden brown. When will I be able to do it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do know that each head of hair is different, and that different results will occur when using the same product. Results obtained by one person when using a particular product is no indication the same results will be obtained by someone else.

You did not state the color of your virgin hair. By getting a ginger color when applying a light beige shade of Nice and Easy, I assume your virgin hair to be quite dark.

The fact that one person with medium brown/grey hair achieves a particular result with Nice and Easy, is no indication you will achieve the same results. Excepting porosity, applying color to the grey hair is, result wise, essentially the same as applying it to highly bleached hair, in that, in both, there is an absence of pigment.

If you do apply a 'natural lighter golden brown' shade of Nice and Easy to your hair without pre bleaching, please do report back and tell us the results.

PS

I think a lot of people are of the misconception that hair color is like paint. If you have a wooden table which has been painted black, you can apply white paint and get a white table.

This is not the case with hair. Hair is translucent. You cannot expect to apply a light beige color applied to black/brown/medium or light brown hair and get a light beige result. The translucency itself will permit the underling darker pigments to show through, including the ginger shades revealed by the lifting action of Nice and Easy.

August 27, 2015 Flag

I colored my hair with a 28 shampoo color and the color turned out lighter then I expected. How long do I have to wait to recolor it darker?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think it depends on how strong and healthy your hair is now, Denise. A g'friend of mine did pretty much the same thing and dyed her hair a bit darker pretty much right away (a day or two after the initial colour). Her hair was pretty fine to begin with (natural redhead) and the second dye job just wrecked her hair: it got so brittle she couldn't even brush it without it breaking off close to her scalp. Maybe visit a salon and pay a few dollars for professional advice / consultation?

July 27, 2015 Flag

I dyed my hair a deep burgundy mixed with a mahogany red and it came out almost black looking. It is just such a dark purple. I want my light brown hair back and I bought this platinum blonde almost white looking dye. I am not bleaching my hair it's a blonde dye. I want to know if that will get ride of this dark purple color?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

No, not at all. Use a color remover instead, or to prevent too much damage have a professional do it.

April 22, 2015 Flag

I dyed my hair with semi-permanent dye last week and I don't like the color that I got. It's too light. Is it okay for me to dye it black after just a week?

By Gina.C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It should be OK for you to recolor your hair again, since you are going to a darker color and providing you use another shade of semi-permanent color and not a permanent 'dye'.

March 22, 2015 Flag

I have dyed my hair a dark purple, but it is lighter at the roots. I don't like it. What colour can I put on it to get rid of the purple? Thanks.

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You could either go black/blue-black, which would cover it well and in a very natural-looking way, or lean towards a berry tone, dyeing it red. If you like the berry option, you could always try and, in case you weren't happy with the result, dye it black later.

If you don't want to go through too many chemical processes (and I agree) you could substitute the black dye with indigo (the so-called "black henna"). It's a very long process, but healthy for your hair, and makes it look great. Also, applying pure indigo (with no other herbs mixed in), the color would look absolutely great with a purple undertone (I tried it myself, it was accidental - indigo on an old purple dye and the result was gorgeous). That's not to say that you would die or loose your hair with a mixture of indigo and other herbs, I just can't predict the results precisely, color-wise.

December 15, 2014 Flag

It has been about 3 months since I dyed my hair dark brown. Now I really want to get highlights or go blonde. The dark brown color has faded to a bit lighter shade over time. I want to know if this is enough time to wait to re-dye it. Will it be safe if I do it now or should I wait longer?

By Emily M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

To determine if this is enough time to wait really depends on the condition of your hair, what was previously used to color, and the end result you want. I strongly recommend seeing a professional for a consultation to determine what needs to be done and cause the least amount of damage. High lighting or going blonde on your own could still result in a trip to the salon at a much higher cost for a correction. And if your hair is too damaged they may not be able to help.

September 12, 2016 Flag

My natural hair is medium brown with a lot of gray bleached by the sun and chlorine. I used Revlon medium ash blonde, but it's not the shade I want. How long do I need to wait before I can go a shade or two lighter?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 8, 2013
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
A girl with blue and silver dyed hair.
How Long Should I Wait to Re-dye My Hair?
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:20:05 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 21 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.