How Long Should You Wait Before Re-dyeing Hair?

Category Coloring
A woman having her hair dyed.
Many times after dyeing your hair you decide you don't like it and want to try a different color. This page has advice about re-dyeing your hair, including how long you should wait before dyeing it again.

Recently I dyed my hair to red, but I don't seem to like it very much. How long do I have to wait to re-dye my hair? Will the result be good?

By Jaime

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Answers

Best Answer

Call the toll-free phone number on the box of hair color and ask for advice. Red hair color fades very quickly so if you can, wait a few weeks and the color may then be something you can live with.

Best Answer

There is a product called Oops that will remove the color you dyed it.

Best Answer

First a lot depends on the type of hair color you used , permanent or semi-permanent? also did you just go too bright? dark? or it's just not your color? If it's too dark, mix a little peroxide (20 volume) with your shampoo and that will take some of the color out. Afterwards use a good conditioner.

If the color is wrong and you want to go lighter your going to have to do the above but let it sit on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse, dry, and you can re-dye the same day if necessary:) Always use a heavy conditioner and do the final rinse (after the creme rinse is rinsed out) in cool water.

Can I re-dye my hair the same day? It's alburn red, and too red for me. I can't go out of my house, I will stop traffic it's so red. Can I dye it back to brown the same day or at least the next day?

By Tami P.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

I would just try washing it a couple of times with regular shampoo. I find that even my "for colored hair" shampoo softens up the color after a couple of washings.

Best Answer

You can, but it's risky. Reds fade the quickest so it will be more reddish-golden after a time; if you can't wait, ask a stylist to tone it for you. They can pick something semi-permanent (and safe for color-treated hair) to tone it with, to help give you the color you were originally after.

I've recently bleached and toned and dyed my way too silver (January 1st). Now that I've obtained the color, I'm wondering how long I should wait before going to a salon and having them dye it a normal color again. Will I have to lift my hair again to get back to my natural color or can they dye over the gray? I don't want to make an appointment too early, but the gray/silver just doesn't suit me like I had hoped. Thank you so much for your help in advance! The picture above is my hair color currently!

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know what you used to dye your hair but I just saw a post about Feria boxed hair color and how it is very damaging to your hair when you try to remove it. I would definitely consult with a hairdresser that is experienced in touch-up or recoloring. Good luck. The gray was a neat look, I hope you enjoyed it.

I went to the salon today with blonde hair I asked for a dark blonde color. I walked out and noticed my hair looks grey! Can I box dye it the dark blonde I want?

Best Answer

You should return to the salon! You did not receive the color you wanted and the hair stylist apparently did something wrong? The salon is responsible to provide the service you paid for so return, explain the problem and the salon should correct the problem for your hair.

Best Answer

I think what you have is ash blonde. I color my hair myself and right after I color it, it also looks grey. Clairol Nice'n Easy ash blonde. After about 5 washings, it lightens up considerably. Wash it every day for a week before you take drastic measures. If you still don't like it, return to the salon. Don't try coloring it yourself since you don't know what the salon used and applying another color might damage your hair..

I dyed my hair with semi-permanent dye last week and I don't like the color that I got. It's too light. Is it okay for me to dye it black after just a week?

By Gina.C

Best Answer

It should be OK for you to recolor your hair again, since you are going to a darker color and providing you use another shade of semi-permanent color and not a permanent 'dye'.

I have dyed my hair a dark purple, but it is lighter at the roots. I don't like it. What colour can I put on it to get rid of the purple? Thanks.

By Lisa

Best Answer

You could either go black/blue-black, which would cover it well and in a very natural-looking way, or lean towards a berry tone, dyeing it red. If you like the berry option, you could always try and, in case you weren't happy with the result, dye it black later.

If you don't want to go through too many chemical processes (and I agree) you could substitute the black dye with indigo (the so-called "black henna"). It's a very long process, but healthy for your hair, and makes it look great. Also, applying pure indigo (with no other herbs mixed in), the color would look absolutely great with a purple undertone (I tried it myself, it was accidental - indigo on an old purple dye and the result was gorgeous). That's not to say that you would die or loose your hair with a mixture of indigo and other herbs, I just can't predict the results precisely, color-wise.

It has been about 3 months since I dyed my hair dark brown. Now I really want to get highlights or go blonde. The dark brown color has faded to a bit lighter shade over time. I want to know if this is enough time to wait to re-dye it. Will it be safe if I do it now or should I wait longer?

By Emily M.

Best Answer

To determine if this is enough time to wait really depends on the condition of your hair, what was previously used to color, and the end result you want. I strongly recommend seeing a professional for a consultation to determine what needs to be done and cause the least amount of damage. High lighting or going blonde on your own could still result in a trip to the salon at a much higher cost for a correction. And if your hair is too damaged they may not be able to help.

I dyed my hair red last week with Splat. I was wondering if I dye my hair black if it will take? I got a perment black hair dye to use. Here is a pic of my hair. Thanx.

Yes, permanent black will cover anything. Just make sure that you are wanting the black for a while because it will stick really good for a long time. You'll need a color removing kit or professional to lift it. Good luck. :)

Take a look down any aisle devoted to hair care products. More than likely, you will find a section displaying hair coloring products. You may see a myriad of different brands, colors, and degrees of permanence. What you won't see, is the word 'dye'. Technically, permanent hair color is a dye, but decades ago, the beauty industry decided the word was... well, crude. Since that time, the word 'color' has served as its replacement. The word 'color' applies to all degrees of permanence including permanent color/tint, semi permanent color, and toner (toners are applied to pre bleached hair). The word is also used in reference to temporary rinses, although to a lesser degree.

Some people have become pretty good at coloring their hair at home. But, if you're one of those people who dumps a bottle of 'dye' on their hair, doesn't like the resulting color, and can't wait to dump another bottle of dye on their hair....well, what can I say? You get what you deserve. Fortunately, most oranges and greens can be corrected, but should only be attempted by a licensed professional.

There is so much to know about coloring hair. I could write a book. Indeed, books have been written on the subject. I have a copy of the Clairol hair coloring handbook published in the early sixties, long before L'Oreal and others were clamoring to get into a market that was held almost exclusively by Roux and Clairol.

There are as many different products as there are ways to color your hair. There are temporary/weekly rinses. These may be commercially produced but include homemade rinses, often vegetable in origin. At one time, strong brewed tea was a popular temporary color for grey or light colored hair. It has been written that at one time there was a shortage of flour in England, due to the fact all the upper class were powdering their dingy wool periwigs with lots and lots of flour.

Semi permanent colors became popular in the sixties. Loving Care was the top seller. Designed to 'cover grey' and to be applied every month to six weeks, these semi permanent colors were often referred to as 'progressive dyes', as was henna . However, there was no commercial reference to all the white haired, little old ladies who were now sporting black, black hair with 'cow dung green' ends.

I'll jump ahead and briefly touch on toners and then get back to the main subject. Toners are delicate blond colors. Before applying a toner, and depending on the color choice, the hair must be pre bleached to either the gold, yellow, or pale yellow stage. Example: if you now have black hair and want to be platinum blond, your hair must go through seven stages of pre- bleach lightening, bringing the hair to a pale yellow, before applying a platinum toner.

And now, the product most reached for by the home grown, would be, beautician (not cosmetologist, as they have earned that title and are licensed by a state board cosmetic art examiner).

Permanent colors were formulated originally to permanently cover grey hair. They had no lifting (lightening) action. They produced a dull, single color. It was discovered that by adding lightening action, grey could be covered while at the same time, the pigmented (not yet turned grey) hair could be lightened a few shades. This produced a more natural look, as it left the hair with several intermediate shades, rather than one flat color.

I think this lifting action is the one factor most misunderstood by the do it yourself colorist. If your hair is dark and you color it a lighter shade, the color product will lighten the hair and deposit the lighter color at the same time. This is good for those who want to go only two or three shades lighter than their natural color because these products are very limited in their lightening action.

If you are a medium brown, you cannot color your hair to a light honey blond with these 'one step' color products. A great deal of the natural pigment (any pigment darker than the honey blond you want to be) must first be removed and then the honey blond applied. As stated, these one step colors are limited in their bleaching action. They would probably lighten the medium brown hair only to the red stage. Applying a light honey blond color to red hair will not result in a honey blond shade. This, I think, is where and why so many people write to ThriftyFun seeking advice about what to do for their orange hair.

I think the second most asked question concerning at home 'dye jobs' is 'How soon can I re dye my hair? Usually, 24 hours is enough lapsed time. There are exceptions. These exceptions are made based on the condition of your scalp. There should be no tenderness or sensitivity to any degree prior to re- coloring the hair. If you are re-dyeing your hair to a darker color, the longer you wait, the better. This is because dark colors can go too dark on very recently colored hair. Also, the more time you give your scalp to 'rest', the less staining you will have to the scalp and hairline.

A good rule of thumb would be 'Do not expect these one step color products to color your hair more than two or three shades lighter than your natural color without resulting in unwanted reds or oranges. So, if you are 'dark' and want to go 'light', the only way you can do this without getting reds or oranges, is to first bleach the hair lighter than these reds and oranges. Then apply the desired blond shade. If you are dark and want to be blond, but are not willing to go through the required pre bleaching, then your best choice would be to settle for a slightly lighter shade with added red, ash, gold, honey, or whatever, highlights OR, leave your hair the color it now is.

Three last, but very important notes: If you re-dye your hair to a darker color, choose a shade two or three shades lighter than the desired color. Previously treated hair will be more porous and will 'grab' more color, resulting in a color much darker than that shown on the bottle or box.

If your ends are quite porous, apply the re-color to those ends for only the last 10 minutes of the processing time.

And maybe most important of all: Do a test strand first! This will show you what the entire hair will look like and may save yourself a few tears.

Load More