How Long Should You Wait Before Re-dyeing Hair?

Category Coloring
A woman having her hair dyed.
Many times after dyeing your hair you decide you don't like it and want to try a different color. This page has advice about re-dyeing your hair, including how long you should wait before dyeing it again.

Recently I dyed my hair to red, but I don't seem to like it very much. How long do I have to wait to re-dye my hair? Will the result be good?

By Jaime

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Answers

Best Answer

Call the toll-free phone number on the box of hair color and ask for advice. Red hair color fades very quickly so if you can, wait a few weeks and the color may then be something you can live with.

Best Answer

There is a product called Oops that will remove the color you dyed it.

Best Answer

First a lot depends on the type of hair color you used , permanent or semi-permanent? also did you just go too bright? dark? or it's just not your color? If it's too dark, mix a little peroxide (20 volume) with your shampoo and that will take some of the color out. Afterwards use a good conditioner.

If the color is wrong and you want to go lighter your going to have to do the above but let it sit on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse, dry, and you can re-dye the same day if necessary:) Always use a heavy conditioner and do the final rinse (after the creme rinse is rinsed out) in cool water.

Can I re-dye my hair the same day? It's alburn red, and too red for me. I can't go out of my house, I will stop traffic it's so red. Can I dye it back to brown the same day or at least the next day?

By Tami P.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

I would just try washing it a couple of times with regular shampoo. I find that even my "for colored hair" shampoo softens up the color after a couple of washings.

Best Answer

You can, but it's risky. Reds fade the quickest so it will be more reddish-golden after a time; if you can't wait, ask a stylist to tone it for you. They can pick something semi-permanent (and safe for color-treated hair) to tone it with, to help give you the color you were originally after.

I've recently bleached and toned and dyed my way too silver (January 1st). Now that I've obtained the color, I'm wondering how long I should wait before going to a salon and having them dye it a normal color again. Will I have to lift my hair again to get back to my natural color or can they dye over the gray? I don't want to make an appointment too early, but the gray/silver just doesn't suit me like I had hoped. Thank you so much for your help in advance! The picture above is my hair color currently!

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know what you used to dye your hair but I just saw a post about Feria boxed hair color and how it is very damaging to your hair when you try to remove it. I would definitely consult with a hairdresser that is experienced in touch-up or recoloring. Good luck. The gray was a neat look, I hope you enjoyed it.

Last night I had attempted to dye my darkish brown hair blonde with a semi-permanent hair dye. I didn't like the results no blonde was made to my hair. How long will it be till I can re-dye my hair?

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Semi-permanent hair color washes out in 6-12 shampoos. Wash it every day and you ought to be able to color it in a week or so. BTW, you can't lighten your hair with a semi-permanent hair color because it has no peroxide (that's what lifts the color out of your hair). Hope it works out better for you next time!

I went to the salon today with blonde hair I asked for a dark blonde color. I walked out and noticed my hair looks grey! Can I box dye it the dark blonde I want?

Best Answer

You should return to the salon! You did not receive the color you wanted and the hair stylist apparently did something wrong? The salon is responsible to provide the service you paid for so return, explain the problem and the salon should correct the problem for your hair.

Best Answer

I think what you have is ash blonde. I color my hair myself and right after I color it, it also looks grey. Clairol Nice'n Easy ash blonde. After about 5 washings, it lightens up considerably. Wash it every day for a week before you take drastic measures. If you still don't like it, return to the salon. Don't try coloring it yourself since you don't know what the salon used and applying another color might damage your hair..

I bleached and dyed my hair five days ago. When would it be good for me to dye it again?

Best Answer

I don't find that bleach, when properly applied to strong, healthy hair to be damaging. I don't think Jean Harlow or Marilyn Monroe did either. Do know that bleaching leaves the hair more porous and with less tensile strength. It should be treated more gently. Conditioners may be required to keep the hair looking its best and special shampoos may be needed to prevent stripping of the delicate toners usually applied to pre bleached hair.

I do hope when you say you 'dyed' your bleached hair, that you used a toner made especially for pre bleached hair. If you did, in fact, apply a regular, permanent color to your pre bleached hair, you are asking for trouble by coloring it, again. The darker the color you applied, the more trouble you can expect. You should know that recoloring bleached and 'dyed' hair does not remove the 'dye' you first used. What you would be doing amounts to adding color on top of color... and the results are likely to be a strange and too dark color.

If you properly bleached and toned your hair, it could be safely recolored to approximate the color you had before bleaching. The use of special fillers may be required as a prerequisite. Do you even know what a 'filler' is? The procedure would require the expertise of a professional colorist, lest you end up with very damaged hair. The fact that you ask if it would be good for you to 'dye' your hair again is clear evidence you do not have the knowledge required for what you are attempting.

I've nothing against people coloring their own hair, but in this case, unless you are willing to seek out and pay for professional services, you are likely to be much more dissatisfied with a third color, than you were with your original color or the color you had after bleaching and 'dyeing' your hair.

I colored my hair with a 28 shampoo color and the color turned out lighter then I expected. How long do I have to wait to recolor it darker?

Best Answer

I think it depends on how strong and healthy your hair is now, Denise. A g'friend of mine did pretty much the same thing and dyed her hair a bit darker pretty much right away (a day or two after the initial colour). Her hair was pretty fine to begin with (natural redhead) and the second dye job just wrecked her hair: it got so brittle she couldn't even brush it without it breaking off close to her scalp. Maybe visit a salon and pay a few dollars for professional advice / consultation?

I dyed my hair with semi-permanent dye last week and I don't like the color that I got. It's too light. Is it okay for me to dye it black after just a week?

By Gina.C

Best Answer

It should be OK for you to recolor your hair again, since you are going to a darker color and providing you use another shade of semi-permanent color and not a permanent 'dye'.

I have dyed my hair a dark purple, but it is lighter at the roots. I don't like it. What colour can I put on it to get rid of the purple? Thanks.

By Lisa

Best Answer

You could either go black/blue-black, which would cover it well and in a very natural-looking way, or lean towards a berry tone, dyeing it red. If you like the berry option, you could always try and, in case you weren't happy with the result, dye it black later.

If you don't want to go through too many chemical processes (and I agree) you could substitute the black dye with indigo (the so-called "black henna"). It's a very long process, but healthy for your hair, and makes it look great. Also, applying pure indigo (with no other herbs mixed in), the color would look absolutely great with a purple undertone (I tried it myself, it was accidental - indigo on an old purple dye and the result was gorgeous). That's not to say that you would die or loose your hair with a mixture of indigo and other herbs, I just can't predict the results precisely, color-wise.

It has been about 3 months since I dyed my hair dark brown. Now I really want to get highlights or go blonde. The dark brown color has faded to a bit lighter shade over time. I want to know if this is enough time to wait to re-dye it. Will it be safe if I do it now or should I wait longer?

By Emily M.

Best Answer

To determine if this is enough time to wait really depends on the condition of your hair, what was previously used to color, and the end result you want. I strongly recommend seeing a professional for a consultation to determine what needs to be done and cause the least amount of damage. High lighting or going blonde on your own could still result in a trip to the salon at a much higher cost for a correction. And if your hair is too damaged they may not be able to help.

I dyed my hair red last week with Splat. I was wondering if I dye my hair black if it will take? I got a perment black hair dye to use. Here is a pic of my hair. Thanx.

Yes, permanent black will cover anything. Just make sure that you are wanting the black for a while because it will stick really good for a long time. You'll need a color removing kit or professional to lift it. Good luck. :)

Load More