How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I and my two sons are in need of some furniture for our new apartment. Where can I go to get free furniture?

By Reva from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Go to a Salvation Army thrift store and ask for a voucher for the furniture that you need. They might not have everything that you need, and it might not be real fancy stuff, but usable. They don't give out things like TVs, etc., but as a whole you can get most other things, and kitchen utensils, etc. (05/20/2010)

By redhatterb

Yard/garage sales. You'll be surprised how cheap you can negotiate down prices. (05/20/2010)

By bkvander

I don't know about free, but we furnished our kids college apartments by going online to Craig's List and found great deals. We always went with them to pick up the stuff as I am a bit leery about sending a young kid to an unknown house. However, most were other college students in the area selling their old stuff. (05/20/2010)

By Amy3e

Try homereserve.com website. They deliver to your door and the furniture is a mix/match and very reasonably priced. (05/20/2010)

By Lorelei

All of the above are good suggestions. I would also suggest mentioning to your friends and family in a mass email that your sons are starting off and would be willing to take cast off or extra pieces of furniture. Have them do so as well. (I know that many parents get rid of furniture from kids rooms when those "kids" leave for college, so their friends may have stuff for them, too.) They may end up with some wacky things they don't need, but you can always give those away.

Also have them list what they feel they absolutely need. For some people it's a dining room table or a bed and for others it's a sofa, and look for those specific items, price them out and prioritize based on what they personally need. They can get TV trays and get by for a while until they can save up or collect here and there what they need.

Good luck.

(05/20/2010)

By poepadoe

Go to: freecycle.org and look for one near you. You can offer or ask for different items. I suggest taking a friend with you when visiting homes for safety sake. (05/20/2010)

By yoder178

craigslist.com has a free section and also you can look for people who are selling close to your location (05/21/2010)

By carolenam

Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄