Huskee Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Huskee 16.5 hp. mower. I put in a new plug, air filter, and fuel filter, the battery tested good. When trying to start it turns over a couple of times and stops. I also cleaned all of the connections that run to the battery.

By Dave B.

Well, I will tell you my story. I have a John Deere LA120. It is 4 years old and has 40 hours of use. When first year it started up ok. The second year was more difficult so I hooked it up to a battery booster I bought for $50. The third year was more difficult and this year impossible. I bought a new battery and the battery guy tested the old one and said it was fine. The battery guy thought I had an open ground. But I bought a new battery anyway. Still would not start. I asked the folks at the John Deere dealer. They said my valves needed adjustment. I thought that was BS so I visited another JD dealer and he said the same thing. He said he could adjust the valves but they would go out of adjustment very quickly. He said my machine had a Briggs and Stratton engine which was crap. The more expensive JD mowers with a much, much better engine start at $3,000. I asked about a trade in toward a newer JD. Nope. He said he would not take it because the Briggs and Stratton engines were too much of a problem. He suggested I dump my mower on the side of the road or try to sell it to a private party for $500.

He did give me one bit of advise which was very helpful. On the top of the engine is a clean air intake. This spins clockwise when the engine is running to cool the engine. He said to turn it my hand in reverse and then try to start the mower. This would change the position of the valves. I tried it several times before the mower started. So both dealer must have been correct. It is something to do with the valves. You may have the same problem. the first dealer said the battery was not powerful enough to over come the resistance of the out of position valves. Maybe if I had a very powerful battery booster I could get it to turn over. Good Luck.

My husband had similar problems with his riding mower, and it turned out to be the "kill" switch.

Or the "deadmans" switch? LOL!

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJune 4, 2011
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎄
🍂