Huskee Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Trying to find the cause for your mower not starting can be a process. This is a page about Huskee riding mower won't start.

I have a Huskee 16.5 hp. mower. I put in a new plug, air filter, and fuel filter, the battery tested good. When trying to start it turns over a couple of times and stops. I also cleaned all of the connections that run to the battery.

By Dave B.

Answers

Best Answer

Well, I will tell you my story. I have a John Deere LA120. It is 4 years old and has 40 hours of use. When first year it started up ok. The second year was more difficult so I hooked it up to a battery booster I bought for $50. The third year was more difficult and this year impossible. I bought a new battery and the battery guy tested the old one and said it was fine. The battery guy thought I had an open ground. But I bought a new battery anyway. Still would not start. I asked the folks at the John Deere dealer. They said my valves needed adjustment. I thought that was BS so I visited another JD dealer and he said the same thing. He said he could adjust the valves but they would go out of adjustment very quickly. He said my machine had a Briggs and Stratton engine which was crap. The more expensive JD mowers with a much, much better engine start at $3,000.

I asked about a trade in toward a newer JD. Nope. He said he would not take it because the Briggs and Stratton engines were too much of a problem. He suggested I dump my mower on the side of the road or try to sell it to a private party for $500.

He did give me one bit of advise which was very helpful. On the top of the engine is a clean air intake. This spins clockwise when the engine is running to cool the engine. He said to turn it with my hand in reverse and then try to start the mower. This would change the position of the valves. I tried it several times before the mower started. So both dealer must have been correct. It is something to do with the valves. You may have the same problem. the first dealer said the battery was not powerful enough to over come the resistance of the out of position valves. Maybe if I had a very powerful battery booster I could get it to turn over. Good Luck.

Best Answer

My husband had similar problems with his riding mower, and it turned out to be the "kill" switch.

My Huskee riding mower will turn over and it sounds like it's spinning really fast. I was mowing the lawn and it made a big pop and died. Now all it will do is spin really fast, but not fire up. Can you help me?

By PD

Answers

Best Answer

Probably sheared the key between crankshaft and flywheel.

I'm getting spark and fuel to the carburetor. I put a new ignition coil on too. I have not checked the seat switch yet. Any other thoughts? I would appreciate it.

Answers

Best Answer

I would check the seat switch. You dont have a bad spark plug, clogged carburetor or bad fuel pump

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

Answers

Best Answer

It was a fuse located under the battery.

My Huskee mower is a gem that starts on the first try every time, but if I stop mowing then try to restart it, about 75% of the time it won't restart. I'm certain it's flooding out. Is there anything I can do to help it restart sooner? Sometimes it takes overnight to restart. It is frustrating! Today it did something different, I was mowing along and I tried to increase my speed, but accidentally over slid into choke mode and it killed and won't restart.

Can anyone give me a tip for these issues? Go easy, my knowledge consists of gas tank, fuel additives, cleaning the air filter, replacing the battery, and adding oil. Typical woman I guess! Thanks!

Answers

You may have to check the carburetor

Clogged,dirty filter.

Thank you and that use to cause problems but I clean it constantly now and I'm certain that is not the problem. It's definitely flooding and it did restart the following day, no problem as usual.

Maybe their customer services can help:1-800-269-6215

I have often used customer service for company's to help me troubleshoot items. I have not used MTD who makes Huskee, but many companies have well versed staff.

Post back with an update!

I can not get my Huskee mower to start using the key. I have to jog the solenoid to get it to start. What can I do to fix my issue?

Answers

The wiring from the ignition could be bad.

Anonymous

That is what we thought as well but sadly not the case but we can jump start the cylanoid to get it started but nothing at all when i turn the key...

The lever that lowers the deck need to be pulled back tightly while turning the key , over time the bracket for this gets worn and wont depress the safety switch ! So pull back the lever as you turn the key !

I was trying to start a friend's Huskee LT 4200 riding mower that I've only ridden twice. I followed the starting instructions on the mower and it won't even make any startup noise.

It's gas tank isn't empty.

Answers

There is a safety switch under the seat. Make sure it is not disengaged

So I don't mean for this to be a dumb question, so I hope it isn't, but did you ask your friend if the machine has start up quirks?

I ask because the first time I drove my husband's car by myself after he got it, the wheel was locked up and I couldn't get the key to turn. I sat there for a while wondering if I broke it. Turns out his car your foot needs to be on the brake and if you are parked on a hill like our driveway, the wheel must be in a certain position for the key to work so now I know...so long story, long...maybe this mower has some wonky start up ritual that your friend forgot to mention.

If you don't want to ask your friend, call Huskee (made by MTD) and ask...www.mtdproducts.com/.../ContactUs_10500_20500_-1

Good luck!

I have a Husky riding lawn mower. I have put a new solenoid, a key switch, and a new battery in it and it still won't start. Is there anything else I could check? I am thinking of replacing the clutch safety switch with a new one, will this make a difference?

Answers

From gardenweb.com:

we need to know.. did you do the basic checks? enough fuel, controls all set correctly before attempting to start, choke full on before start, sitting firmly in seat so seat safety sw engaged, clutch/brake pedal fully depressed, PTO off, etc., etc. ..?

If all that OK, next step is with help of assistant remove engine air cleaner and spray several shots of rattlecan carb cleaner (available at auto parts store) directly into carb throat while assistant is cranking engine.

If engine tries to start or "pops", problem is lack of fuel delivery. if not, prob is ignition or mechanical internal to the engine.

Whens the last time it ran? Has it been sitting a while?

I started mowing and now I have no power. I cleaned the carb and put in a new battery before this and now it does nothing.

Help!

Answers

Check under the seat. You might have disabled the safety switch by accident

I have a Huskee garden tractor 18 horse 46 cut. It will start and run fine, but once I shut it off it will not start. It turns over fine. I have to let it set a very long time to get it started again.

By Cecil J.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJune 30, 2017
🎃
🌻