Identifying Household Bugs

Category Bugs
Household Bug
It can be challenge to combat bugs in your home, when you don't know what kind they are. This is a guide about identifying household bugs.

Can someone please tell me what these are/ They are about the size of a pin head and run fast. They don't fly or jump. I have found a few on my window sill and the toilet paper roll. They also squish easily with light pressure.

Answers

They could be spring tails. They are harmless. Frequent vacuuming will prevent a big infestation.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Answers

I think it's a beetle. Spray with any insecticide.

Anyone know what kind of bug this is? I found a couple in my car and I'm freaking out.

It kind of looks like a cigarette beetle?

Put these bugs in a plastic bag with a good seal. Bring it to any place that sells pesticides and they will help you.

It does not look like a flying bug but bugs do look a little different when they are dead rather than alive.

Take what you have and place them in a zip bag or small medicine bottle and take them to an exterminator, your local county agriculture agency (email a photo as they may recognize it) or, occasionally someone working at Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace's garden centers may be able to help you.

from the picture it's hard to tell, but it almost looks like a lightning bug. It most likely is just a gaarden-variety beetle, living off organic matter in your car.

Please help me, I found a bug with larve that was crawling on my leg. When I picked it up with the paper towel I took a picture and noticed all the white larve on the towel. What is this bug? Please help me. I also find these small brown bugs near my patio screen door that don't move, laying inside near my screen. Have no idea but they don't move.

By Joanie G

I'm not sure why you need to know what it is. Just squish it and be done with it!

Hi -

The picture with the bugs that 'don't move' looks a lot like carpet beetles. These guys eat fabric. An infestation in our house that began when we were away for a month resulted in having a lot of the felt of the hammers of my beautiful piano eaten away to the point that they didn't strike the strings. The piano was ruined!

Check with your local Cooperative Extension office; take a sample in to them and see what they tell you. If it is carpet beetles, I suggest some kind of treatment that will kill them all.

Good luck!

The one on the paper towel looks like a tick. Could not tell you what the others are. Look like pieces of bugs.

My question is about these very, very tiny black bugs I've noticed hiding under and around things on my desk and window sill (in my bedroom).

My first guess would have been dust mites since I often find them in dusty places on my shelves between books and such, but my guys are always black.

The closest thing I've found to resemble them online are bed bugs (round, black,and tiny), only they seem to be a lot smaller than bed bugs (the size of a pin prick really), and I havent seen a single one in my bed, or experienced any biting from them.
I tried to take a photo with my phone, but theyre so so tiny I can't get a picture in any sort of focus.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

From the description, I would say you have carpet beetles. Many different specific kinds of carpet beetles exist. "Did they crunch when you squashed them? As an insect enthusiast, I never recommend unnecessary bug squashing (and most bug squashing is unnecessary, since the vast majority of insects on the planet do us no harm whatsoever). That said, if you're searching for information about tiny black bugs in your house and have arrived here, I'm pretty certain you don't like the bugs taking up residence in your home and have already squashed a few. So, did they make a crunchy sound when you did? You may have noticed they left a black or brown smear when you crushed them, too." http://insects.  -In-My-House.htm

Put them in a sealed plastic bag. Don't crush them. Take them to a place where they sell pesticides and they will help you.

We came to an old cottage for the holidays in the Czech Republic and found these bugs (about max. 2mm tall and 0.5-1mm thick) on all the bed sheets. Then we found them on sinks, in baths, and in kitchen. They are mostly on everything white. Maybe they are everywhere, but maybe we can see them clearly on white surface. They seem to not be too active, maybe in night only when we sleep. What are they and how do we get rid of them?

I don't want to bring them with us to our house in England. Please help us to identify what that is. I hate to think my house in England can get infested by this. There are hundreds of them all over this old house :-(

Thanks.

This photo is understandably not very clear, but they look to me like moths. In any event, here is a great site for IDing pests: http://www.pest  .org/pest-guide/

You probably should take care to wash evertying and avoid bringing them home with you.

You could also ask Czech neighbors or your landlords to see what they are.

Put a few of them in a sealed plastic bag and take them to a store that sells pesticides. Don't crush the bugs. They will identify them and tell you what you need to get rid of them.

I just recently found two of these little bugs on my curtain. I also found one within my pillow case and one on the kitchen table? Are these bed bugs? Can someone identify them please! I live in New York.

Answers

It is a variegated carpet beetle. Not a bed bug.

Regular vacuuming will help control variegated carpet beetles.

I have recently found some very small insects in my kitchen and bathroom that look like small white caterpillars but they have lots of legs! What are they and should I be alarmed?

By Ann

Silverfish possibly. They've always looked more of a white-ish gray to me though. Just google it.

From your description, these insects may be small many legged centipedes. They are not harmful in any way to humans, cats and dogs, except that they are rather ugly. It's best to just accept them as they are very fierce predators and run extremely fast to catch bugs inside houses. They love all sorts of bugs like cockroaches, moths, flies (they are really fast!) and, for reasons unknown, love kitchens and bath tubs.

I found this very tiny, thin, tan with a brown stripe bug in my drawer, on my bed, and in the shower. I don't know what it is. Can someone please help me? It is paler than tan but has a brown stripe in the middle. I think it has 4 legs, but I am not sure. The legs are on the sides of its head. Please can someone help me to identify what they are and how to get rid of them?

By Rd

Go to what's that bug.com. You will have to post a picture.

The past few days here in South New Jersey, we've had a huge heat wave with a minimum of 95 degrees. I now have a ton of odd bugs in my bedroom.

My grandma and I live in a big house parked right up against the Wharton State Forest, so I'm used to bugs, but I haven't seen these before. We didn't get them anywhere else, just in my bedroom, which is the only room in use on the second floor. I also have a window AC unit, which is OCD heavily duct-taped to try and seal things out. We have central air, but it gets so hot upstairs that I put the window unit on at night when I'm asleep.

The bugs are super tiny, barely bigger than fleas, and they're a bright green. They fly around, but mostly stick to my lamps. Every night they annoy me, as my lamp is right beside my computer, and every morning, I find a ton of their corpses on the surface under the lamps. I've sprayed them with OFF!, but I'm not sure that worked at all. So today I did a big clean-up of my room, just to be on the safe side, and sprayed the perimeter with Ortho Home Defense. I also wiped down the walls, the ceiling, the lamps, and the surfaces with Clorox wipes in case of nests and such.

The exterminator came today, but he only sprays outside since we have two dogs, and that usually only helps me a tiny bit anyway, being the only resident of the second floor.

There's a second type of bug I've been getting that I can't quite identify. Google consensus says it's a roach, but I find that hard to believe. I'm a very cleanly person (if a bit lazy about dusting), and there are no plants in here. When I eat up here, the dishes aren't in my room for more than a few hours, I'm very good about that sort of thing; and my trash up here is emptied as it gets full.

Anyway, the second bug seems to vary in size, I'm guessing some aren't adult yet. It's long, I can't tell how many legs it has. It's a brown color with long antennae that slightly curve out, the antennae are longer than they are. I've seen them very tiny up to maybe half an inch/inch long? My grandma thinks they're crickets, but I've never heard them chirp. They have wings, but mostly just crawl all over my ceiling, out of reach, of course.

If anyone needs me to get pictures, that might be difficult. My tablet doesn't take great photos, but I can do my best!

Thanks! I need to get these things gone. It makes me itchy and nervous just thinking about bugs.

What is this?

Looks like an earwig. The pic is a little unclear, but if it has pincers on each side of its head, it is. They favor damp and dark places and in my area sometimes come in on mail.

I was laying in my bed, when I saw something crawling inside my pillowcase (like on the opening). I immediately smashed it and a grey tint and back stuff came out. But I've been on every website and it seems to me that it's a bed bug. But there was only 1. There was nothing on my bed or under it and no build up. I've been itchy every since I saw it. Can anyone tell me what it could be? And if I should be worried.

Btw tomorrow I'm taking my bed apart to further investigate it to see if there's more. Someone help me please.

Yes, it is a beg bug.