Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

My family and I are just about to get a Shih Tzu puppy, but I really would like more information about the breed. How big do they get? How long do they live? How often do they need to be groomed? Are they good with other dogs and children? It would be a great help if you could answer these questions. Thanks.

Alauna

Answers:

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

We have two shih tzus, a boy and girl, already named Bonnie and Clyde. We actually found them up for adoption on www.petfinder.com, and we have had them for 5 years now. They have loved playing with us and the kids, although my youngest child was 9 when we first got them, neither dog has avoided the kids. These doggies are territorial, but friendly, but they bark if anyone comes into our driveway and when people enter the house, even us. The female does have seizures, and they are increasing so we will be taking her to the vet for medication. It's been very difficult to potty train these dogs, and they seem to love raiding the trashcan for tissues or paper to chew on. Overall, these are the cutest, most lovable dogs you could ask for. (01/24/2009)

By Tracy

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

I have a male shih tzu. His name if Rudy. He is so much fun. He chases around the house runs like a maniac, then jumps on our laps when he has tired himself out. He does however bark and nip at anyone that comes to the door. We are trying to break him of this. He does seem to be guarding the home and us. He sleeps between us every night, and rarely is a problem. He needs to be groomed every month, so this gets a bit costly. Keeping his eyes, and mouth area clean is a challenge. But he is worth any work that comes along with owning him. He is so loving. (01/26/2009)

By Joan

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

I grew up with a Shih Tzu pure blood that was given to me for my 6th birthday. The dog is great for kids with allergies to pet dander, like Siamese they have hair instead of fur (according to my doctor). The dog lived about 13 years and was great with kids, obviously. The only drawback that my family experienced with the breed was the fact that he needed to be groomed on a regular basis. A "puppy" cut will help keep the grooming down to a minimum as their long hair will pick up grass, weeds, dirt and such. In my experience Shih Tzus are loving, playful and very protective of their owners, which will include the whole family. All in all, a great choice for a pet in my opinion. (01/26/2009)

By Stephanie

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

I like going to the site DogBreedInfo.com. Try their website: dogbreedinfo.com (01/27/2009)

By Jpdoughgrl

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

I got my Shih-Tzu, Presley a year ago. I have had dogs most of my married life, but he has been the best. He is white and caramel colored and is as cute as a button. He is a very mellow little guy who loves everyone. He even talks to me. If one of my other 2 dogs takes his bone or he just wants their bone, then he comes in front of me, sit up on his bottom, puts his two front paws together and waves his paws while he is grunting, whining and making all kinds of different noises telling me what is going on. He is not loud. He loves his bath and I maybe take him to be groomed about every 2 months or so. I now will always have a Shih-Tzu, mine has been wonderful. (01/27/2009)

By rainy21

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

Our first dog was a female Shih Tzu. She didn't know she was a dog. She lived 14 years and one month. She had papers, etc. It is like she could read our minds. They do require maintenance, but we kept her in a puppy cut. Shih tzu's do not shed. They don't bother people with allergies. They have a great love for their owner and family and are a loyal watchful dog.

We just got 2 more little girls about 10 months ago from GloryRidge.com, I am not advertising for her, but if you go to her website, she has very good information on anything you would want to know about Shih Tzu's. What to do and what not to do and about the breed etc. It might help you make up your mind if this is the dog for you. It is very educational. (03/08/2009)

By Shih Tzu Lover

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs

I cannot imagine life without my 10 year old female Shih Tzu- Baby. She has the prettiest face and ways, its just impossible to not hug+kiss her most of the day. Every morning, she greets me in what my Dad calls a "majestic lion dog manner", a low crouch with those precious little furry paws extended in front where she stretches them out to touch me a few times, like a cat, so cute. I do it back to her as well, ha ha, its our family morning greeting exercise.

Actually she may be more like a cat. She hates other dogs and small children, only has time for adults. And when showing affection, she sidles up close and rubs herself all over my legs before collapsing right on top of my feet in a soft lump.

She follows me everywhere, even waits outside the toilet until I'm done and curls up under the piano stool when I'm playing. Many times, she's tried to jump up to join me on the stool, luckily she's too short to reach, or I'd never get any playing done.

Oh, and as of right now, she's snoring by my feet and making little snuffly, bark noises in her sleep. It can get annoying when I have to work in the morning, since she sleeps in my bedroom, but I love her so much, I find it endearing most of the time. She's spoiled and a very finicky eater, but I think she's the best thing ever. Every so often, I worry what will happen when she passes on. (11/01/2009)

By Kyaah!

Information About Shih Tzu Dogs
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Shih Tzu
Shih Tzu Breed Information and Photos
closeup of puppy
Shih Tzu Mix Photos
🎉
🎄