Insulating Windows

To make your home more comfortable, both cozy in winter and cooler in summer, seal for drafts and insulate. This is a guide about insulating windows.

December 28, 2010 Flag

I read this tip in my favorite magazine, Mother Earth News, a few years ago, and finally got around to trying it this year. It works!

Instead of expensive window insulation kits that are hard to install and can be used only one year, try this: buy bubble wrap. Cut it to fit each window. Dampen the window and apply the bubble wrap, flat side to the window.

It's that simple. It lets the light through, looks a bit like glass block windows, and does keep the room warmer. If I touch the bubble wrap then touch the window, the wrap is definitely warmer. My bedroom is about 4 degrees warmer this year!

If the wrap comes off or you lift it up for any reason, just re-dampen the window, and it's good as new. At the end of the cold weather, I will remove the wrap, and roll it up separately for each window with a note in the middle to tell me which window it goes on, then I'll store it until next year. I bought my bubble-wrap at Walmart, about $4.50 for 100 feet. A roll and a half did all of my windows (except the one by the computer, since I watch the birds at my feeder through that one). The kits in the store cost a LOT more, and next year, this is free!

Source: Mother Earth News

By schyresti from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I use this on paned windows. I live in a 1940's bungalo and the windows are the old wood ones that go up and down. Will it work to put it into the frame and just nail it?

February 19, 2010 Flag

We live in an older rental home and almost all the windows are singled paned so before the Arctic weather arrived I went to Home Depot and bought 4 x 8 panels of insulation at $8.95 a sheet. It is it's in the building/contractor section, and is silver on one side and 1/2 an inch white foam on the other.

None of the windows match. Some are little frames 10 inches by 7.5 inches, others are a little larger and a few that are large.

I trimmed and cut pieces to be placed directly on the glass. Silver side touching the glass, white side facing inside the room. From the outside of the house it looks like all the windows are covered with aluminum foil.

I figured out a way to be able to attach and remove the larger pieces of insulation with Velcro strips to hold it in place. Part of the Velcro on the window frame and part on the insulation, so I would have light. Every day at 4 PM I put the insulation back in the windows. We kept the house at 74 and during the night it would drop down to 63-64 in the den.

Well, I just got our electric bill and it was for $182 which is actually $2 cheaper than the electric bill for the same month back in 2009. One of my neighbor's bill was for $354 and another $313 so I guess there was a method to my madness.

I'll probably keep this way and see what my electric bill will be in the summer with air-conditioning.

It would be difficult to remove the insulation that I trimmed to fit the smaller frames but if I ever do, at least they'll be cut for next winter. I'll even write on the back which frame that I removed it from, which window and finally which room.

My father could fix just about anything broken and I'm sure he would of approved of my method of madness. I guess my neighbors must of thought that I was nuts when they saw me working on my windows but it worked.

Source: Myself and a little guidance from my husband.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can also use the large or small rolls of bubble wrap.

June 2, 2011 Flag

I live in a apartment that doesn't have shutters on the windows. So, in the summertime it gets really warm in the apartment. I decided to buy the biggest foam board out there and cut it down to almost the size of my glass part on my windows.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 22, 2005 Flag

Weatherize Windows

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Windows can account for as much as 35 to 40 percent of a home's heat loss. With heating costs on the rise, that can translate into significant dollars. New windows are not in everyone's budget, so if you are looking to increase the energy efficiency of existing windows, here are some simple tips for sizable energy savings.

December 6, 2010 Flag

Make insulated window shades from quilted bedspreads to insulate your rooms and stay warmer in the winter. First, measure the windows. You want the shades to have the same measurements as the windows in height and width. Cut the bedspread to the right size.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 25, 2011 Flag

One wall of my bedroom has sliding glass doors and it gets really cold at nite. I cannot afford to replace them. What can I use to sort of insulate the doors so as not to freeze at nite?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

One entry mentioned bubble wrap. It is very inexpensive and all you have to do is spray a little water on the glass and stick the bubble wrap up. It will stay for a very long time and if it does come down, just re-wet and re-stick! It makes a good insulator and can be removed easily if need be! I have it on all my windows which I put up last winter. It insulates so nicely I left it up on the rooms in which I don't use the windows. Good luck!

Bubble wrap has an insulating number of 1 which means it has the lowest insulating value. Your best bet is plastic window wrap or insulating drapes.

In addition, make sure the door is well caulked also. Check the outside perimeter of the door, no caulk, drafts will be there. There is also a product called 'warm window' for a roman shade that you add a fashion fabric to the room side. not real cheap, but really works. In a house in the Utah mountains, the first one I added was to the bedroom window and it raised the temp in the room by 10 degrees!

April 2, 2010 Flag

The temperatures in FL are starting to go up and pretty soon we'll be back in the heat and humidity. Does anyone have any good, inexpensive suggestions for something to put on the inside of my home's windows to help keep out the awful heat?

Last year I tried using the window film that you can put on car windows and that did absolutely nothing, plus it was a nightmare to put on the windows. Our housing association doesn't want anybody to put aluminum foil on their windows, either. I can't afford shutters, but I need something so that when the heat is at its worst, especially in the afternoon during July and August my house doesn't feel like a furnace.

Even with the AC running, it still is super hot. Not only that, but the AC runs constantly and our electric bills are out of sight. I'd like to be able to save some money, too.

By Louise from Port Charlotte, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My son cut pieces of rigid foam insulation the size of his window and set them inside the frame. he did it to block the light but it worked for insulating, too! He says put a handle on the back of the foam so it's easy to move.

My husband and I had the same problem and we went to a home improvement store and bought the kits to make your own solar screen. It has made all the difference in the world! It was very easy to make and it just replaced the screens that were existing in our window. You could use the screen frames you have, if you have screens on your window, and buy the solar screen material. It's cheap and easy.

I live in Florida. To keep the heat out I purchased colored shower liners that match my drapes and shears. I put them up to the windows. It blocks the heat, looks good from the outside and matches my drapes and shears on the inside. My home stays cooler and the air conditioner doesn't have to work as hard which keeps my bill lower in the summer.

June 28, 2015 Flag

The price of triple pane glazing is almost twice the price of double pane glazing insulated windows. Does anyone have experience putting two double pane ICG's back to back? I am not sure if you would get condensation between them, but certainly the quadruple glazing would be more effective than the triple, for the same price. I would like to hear some comments from someone who has tried this.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a former property manager, I can tell you this article will help you like it did me. I hope that is what you needed to know!

http://www.doit  warmwindowtips#b

I believe that this is what my son plans to do in his energy efficient home, but I do not know if he had some info about this. I have read the article the previous poster, Sandi, gave you, but it did not seem to cover this idea. Perhaps you could google for more info regarding this way of installing windows.

December 27, 2004 Flag

We just bought a house and the windows are all needing to be replaced. Does anyone know of a way to help save energy on these low grade windows until we can afford to replace them?

Thank you.

By Christine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i just use clear or light beige packaging tape around all the edges of my windows. works great and it cheap. it will be easy to remove in the summer and put it back on in the winter.

Can you do both the inside and outside of the windows or is that a bad idea?

My Aunt has a very old house which we have been to more than once to replace the plastic on windows. We discovered that the thinner, 2 mil. sheeting works way better than the thicker sheeting, as the thicker seems to become brittle in cold weather. We also used ferring strips or thin pieces of wood nailed around the edges on the outside to help secure it.

December 23, 2008 Flag

Can someone give me a very easy way of winterizing my windows? I just have to save some money this winter! Someone told me you can do it with thick painter drop cloths. Anyone have some really good ideas?

Kip from Llano, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I heard that you can use bubble wrap, instead of the plastic that they sell. Several people said it really worked well, and they recommend the larger bubbles.

I read in a magazine to use cardboard cut to fit windows and press in with your hands this they said was also good for children and pets because they couldn't poke holes in it. May be on the dark side though I bet you could use plexiglass and then reuse every year.

I bought rolls of clear heavy plastic like you can use for drop cloths or covers at Big Lots and some white Duct Tape... It actually works Better than that shrink wrap stuff.

November 20, 2014 Flag

My experience using shrinkable plastic on my windows is that the tape strips the wood finish. Not a problem if you have metal, but my new house has wood. Is there something I can do or a product that won't leave a stripe on my windows?

By Ed B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about a 'glue stick that children use for school projects' that should prove to be a good suggestion to try at least. The glue stick can be purchased at any Office Depot, WalMart or Kmart around.

I haven't used this for years, however, it was my experience that if one removed the plastic promptly in the spring, it didn't take the paint off nor leave much of a residue. If one left it for years, you'd have a problem. If this is a new house, will you need the plastic on the windows? Most new houses have good quality windows and seals do not need extra covering.

March 27, 2008 Flag

Has anyone ever made flannel drape liners? I want to make mine out of white flannel. It sells for 1.99 a yard here. How well does it insulate from the cold? I put plastic on the windows every year, but they are still cold. I thought if I made a flannel liner with the insulated drapes this would help with the cold one feels from the windows.

Shirley from Calumet City, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, I cover my old windows with layers in the winter - plastic over the windows inside, then heavy hand-crocheted curtains, then long drapes. Next year I may make simple quilted drapes to keep the drafts out. It all helps, and I think white flannel will be a good insulator for your windows.

Over time, I've picked up remnants of Polar fleece and made curtains for my windows and even put a piece of navy blue inside my back door. It is amazing how much cold air doesn't come in now. Also try Goodwill or like for blankets. I've hung my fleece curtains from extension rods after making a sleeve at the top for the rod. Easy to slip curtain off to wash and replace.

If I can find a good deal on the fleece that would work also...shirley...

October 30, 2014 Flag

I live in a old rental home. There are 2 windows in the living room where I always have the blinds shut. I was wondering if regular house insulation would be a viable solution. Any handymen see anything wrong with that? I very rarely use the living room as I use one of the bedrooms as my entertainment room.

By Tom

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 26, 2010 Flag

We live in a modular home and are having problems with wind forcing cold air into the house around the window frames. Caulking would seem to be one answer. How about using an insulating foam bead? Any other ideas? I am lazy and cheap.

By Bob from Craigsville, WV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What about that foam spray filler that is used to fill cracks? I simply love your parting line, think I know you!

Home and Garden Home Improvement WeatherizingApril 30, 2013
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 4:00:00 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.