Invest in a Counterfeit Money Checker

I live in Canada and we have counterfeit money making the rounds, even though our bills are much harder to fake due to the colors and markings of the paper money. I have a small battery operated special money checker light that when you shine it on the bill it shows little squiggle marks in the bill that you can not see with the human eye. If they are not there when you pass the light over it, it is a fake. I found this checker at a dollar type store of all places but expect you could find a money checker at your local stationery store or Walmart perhaps.

The feel of the paper can also be a giveaway as well so always be aware of that when handling cash. I sell at local craft/farm market and it pays to be cautious.

In this economy, wear your money on you in a money belt. Don't keep your money in a tin where anyone can grab and run off with it. There was a lady who had her purse stolen at the market recently. She had her purse under her vendors' table but someone reached down from the front of the table and took it when there was a crowd of people around her table.

People are desperate and it is only getting worse. If someone wants to give me a fifty or hundred dollar bill for a small priced item, I first ask if they have anything smaller. Usually they do have smaller bills or change on them. I usually only take a bigger bill if they are spending over 20 dollars and I get out my checker and hold it up to the light as well. I work hard for what little I make at yard sales and such so want to protect my hard earned money! I hope these tips help.

By linn from Canada

Anonymous

Just saw this tip about using a counterfeit detection pen from someone else here at ThriftyFun who lives in Arkansas about two or three weeks ago. Sadly criminals are world wide :-(