Sewing Machine Reviews

Before you invest into a valuable clothing and craft tool, you want to be sure it is exactly the kind you need. This guide contains sewing machine reviews.

I just bought the Brother BC-1000 for myself for Christmas. I though I'd try it out since it was a good price at Target (Only $149) and they said I could bring it back any time within 90 days after Christmas. I've taken it out of the box and given it a "test drive" and read the manual. It's a truly WONDERFUL machine for the money! It has great reviews on Amazon.

But, I'm thinking I want just a little bit "more", a computer machine with more decorative stitches and a built in alphabet. I'd like to stick with a 'Low Shank' machine (like Brother, Kenmore or White) because I already have several costly attachments from my old Brother. I don't need an embroidery machine, as this would just add to the cost, but this isn't mandatory. I am definitely looking for something under $400, preferably even under $300.

I love the way this new Brother BC-1000 threads, as it's SUPER SIMPLE and I like the way the bobbin drops in quick and easy. I don't like the way the stitches can't be programed to any wider or longer than 4.0 in most stitches, but I'm suspecting it's that way in most machines?

Has anyone out there got a Sewing machine that cost under $500 with decorative stitches that they are super happy with? Let me know so I can return this one and buy one that has more stitches (they SAY it comes with '100 stitch functions' but there's really only 50 or so actual stitch patterns if you don't include the button holes). PLUS, the button holes stitch width can't be adjusted.

My new computer machine (my other machine is a 1970's model) will REALLY get a work out, so it would be great if it were also durable, though I've been told by more than one Sewing Machine Repair Man that a computerized machine is only meant to last 4 or 5 years with normal use. I asked: "Could I then repair whatever goes wrong?" and he said "Would you repair your OLD computer?" This got me to thinking, How much money do I really want to spend on a computer machine that most likely won't hold up? But, I have to admit, when I tried my first computerized machine, I fell in love with the ease of it!

Cyinda from near Seattle

Top Comment

I like Janome sewing machines.
They used to be sold in Sears stores. I ended up buying my embroidery machine online, I was able to call the store a speak with a salesperson with all my questions
Before doing this, I went t o a sewing store a tried out all the machines. They usually have less expensive versions of the better machines or even trade ins.
I decided to go with the Janome because of the price and the fact that I had a lot of the equipment that I could use with the new machine and the old one.
Good Luck!

Top Comment

My former machine was a Kenmore. I say former because it was replaced with a Brother SE-270D--the Disney Machine (got it on sale at Wal-Mart). I had my Kenmore for 32 years--the trick is keeping it clean & oiled. My oldest son now has it & it's still going strong! I have had my Brother SE-270D since October--got it for myself for my B-Day in November--paid $350.00. Of course, if you want to use embroidery designs other than those already on the machine, then you have to buy the PED-Basic to use it's program disk in your machine. It's totally reuseable & re-programable--cost $129.00

The SE-270D is a combination sewing/embroidery machine & I just LOVE IT! I especially like that it threads the needle for you--unless you're using the double-needle & then you have to do it yourself. It also has the drop-in bobbin & will cut the thread for you! I love to embroider but my eyes are going bad & I just can't seem to see well enough anymore to keep the stitches straight & even. Plus, the length of time it takes to hand embroider something can seem to be an eternity when you are drawing closer to a deadline for your grandkids B-Days & your project is only half-finished.

It didn't help my case any when I went to my old sewing machine & couldn't see well enough to thread the needle even with the little threading wire! But switching to using this machine was exceptionally easy & it's easy enough to use that I'm teaching my 9 year old granddaughter how to sew on it! Plus, if you have an idea in your head for a project you want to do, there are a ton of embroidery files on the net that you can download for free!

I have yet to buy a design because with the proper programs you can combine designs to make whatever you want. The handbook goes into a lot of detail too--which makes it even easier to use & if you have any problems trying to figure out how to do something, you can go to the Brother website & learn from there or contact a tech. I would recommend the Brother SE-270D for ease of use & cost. Go to the Brother website & take a look!

Product: Necchi Sewing/Serger Machine

Model: 6011

Manufacturer: Necchi

Request: I would like to know the reliability of this and other Necchi machines.

Kristen from Ft. Wayne, IN

Answers

Best Answer

I had never heard of Necchi until I was given this machine by my mom. She gave it to me because she thought it was too noisy. I enjoy sewing on it. I have had it for about 2 years or more and have never had a problem with it. I keep it dusted and oiled and it is not nearly as "clicky-clacky" as it used to be. It may have just needed to be broken in. I use it for piecing quilt tops and making bowls, baskets, etc. from fabric-wrapped cotton clothes line. It is a heavy-duty machine and sews through the clothes line easily.

I'm looking for advice on what brand of sewing machine is better, Singer or White? My husband sent me to a "school sale" and I bought a White heavy duty Serge and Sew. When I came home he brought out my anniversary present which was a Singer HD110 heavy duty machine.

He is very sweet and wanted to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. I have always been loyal to Singer but have heard that they don't get the best reviews lately. I have never used a White.

Anyway, now I'm trying to decide between the two machines. They seem to have the same capabilities so that doesn't help. I just need a very basic machine that is fast and will last a while. Please help!

Lisa H. from Lena, WI

Answers

A place that I visit for reviews of products is: www.epinions.com
People that have bought the products type reviews---give the Pros and Cons of the product. I think its very helpful!!!

lisa:

i have a white sewing machine and if i had known at the time what a piece of junk it was would never have bought it, even the people at the sewing machine repair place said these machines are not as good as singer ... this is just my opinion but i would keep the singer, there is also the fact that singer is easier to find a repair place for if necessary

hugs
cinnamon

I would never buy a Singer as they are almost the bottom of the barrel. I have a New Home, actually two, a regular machine and a serger and I have nothing to say but good about either one. They purr when they run!

Ditch them both and get a Janome.