John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

My John Deere riding mower won't start. It tries to turn over, then gets weaker. It actually sounds like it's very stiff as it turns. I tried a brand new battery which eventually got drained trying to start the engine. I checked the gas line, it looked good, the spark plug looked okay. It did backfire once during the process. Any ideas? Thanks!

By The Cobra from Cincy, OH

Answers:

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Are you sure your new battery is good? Are your sparks new and set at the correct gap? Is your carburetor clean, and your air filter? Is there new fresh gas in it and oil? (04/14/2009)

By mom-from-missouri

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

You may have water in the gas tank from condensation over the winter. (04/14/2009)

By crunchberry

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Here's what you do; spray a shot of starting fluid into the carburetor. Try to start now. If it runs and dies, then you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't try to start, you have an electrical problem. Now you know which way to troubleshoot. Post what happens and we can go from there. Hope this is helpful. (06/08/2009)

By jdj599

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a John Deere Sabre that also has issues starting. It actually feels like the engine is locked up. The problem is fuel getting into the cylinder causing a hydrostatic lock. Once the fuel is blown out, and plug dried, it'll start right up. I believe the float or needle and seat are the issues. I've been looking for some carburetor repair instructions, but saw your post and decided to respond. If this is also your problem, check your oil, as it too may be contaminated by the fuel. It will eventually cause engine damage. Make sure it's changed. (07/18/2009)

By oldgoat

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄