Lawnmower Blade Won't Turn

Category Lawn Mowers
Troubleshooting a lawnmower if often very frustrating, not only do you have to determine the cause of the problems, but the grass can be heard growing in the background. This is a guide about lawnmower blade won't turn.

Does anyone know what are some common cause of why my MTD Lawnmower's blades will not spin?

Chris

Answers

By Harry (Guest Post)

Well, the blades turn on pulleys and belts. So I would check to see if a belt is broken or has come off the pulley.

They might have a rope or something similar wrapped around them. Have someone else check for you, so that the motor doesn't turn after you unwind (chop off your fingers). The engine might have quit. You need to get the blades sharpened every year anyway, so why not have the mower serviced? Here, it is only about a $20.00 job. They can evaluate the condition for you.

It's probably the belt.

Anonymous

what do you by the engine might have quit

The blade turns to a certain way then get stuck and it hard to turn

Half way through cutting my lawn with my MTD riding lawn mower I got up to empty the clipping bin. The safety device on the seat causes the mower to shut off. When I returned to restart the mower and press on, the engine started fine, but when I went to engage the blade it stalled. After a few attempts there was a burning rubber smell and some smoke.

Turned off the mower, removed the spark plug cap and attempted to turn the blade by hand (after releasing the blade clutch). It will turn, but with great effort and only about 2 or 3 inches. All belts are intact. Ideas?

Answers

You may have an issue with the PTO (power takeoff clutch). More information is here www.repairclinic.com/.../MTD-Lawn-mower-blades-won-t-engage

it sounds like something got in the carburetor and caused an effluent effect. It would be best to get it serviced to prevent soething like that from happening in the future

Thank you, but I am not sure the carburetor is the cause of the problem as the engine runs without issue prior to the blade being engaged.

Thank you. I will look into this.

I am the gal who has issues and goes right to the source to ask what's what!

Try their customer services and see if they can offer you any solution! I have solved many a dilemma this way!

I feel better going to the source...rather than crowd sourcing for some things because sometimes people suggest things that end up to make things worse...so I learned the hard way when to ask friends and when to ask the source!

My rule is with big stuff like mowers...right to the source...little things like a vacuum or iron or such, I usually go to YouTube :) I am not handy, but some of those videos are darn good!! Wishing you the best!

Here's the contact info: www.mtdproducts.com/.../ContactUs_10500_20500_-1

Why does my Poulan Pro push mower have oil coming out of the bottom where the blade is? I can't turn the blade by hand. What would be the problem? My wife hit a water meter cover with the mower and it stopped running. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Answers

You bent a piece out of shape and probably punctured the vessel the oil is stored in

Can it be fixed or is it trash now ?

I would contact the company and get their feedback as it could be as simple as a cracked gasket/broken seal or as big as engine damage from the encounter with the meter.

Sadly when I did this with a concrete step I had no idea existed on my lower hill, my mower was totaled. Since I am not handy (and this was LONG before YouTube existed) and the expense to fix was more than the expense to get a new mower since mine was old to start with.

The company contact info is at this link: www.poulanpro.com/.../

If you are handy, ask if they can point you to repair videos on their site or YouTube that can help you if buy the right replacement part.

Good luck!

The lawn mower is running, but the blade is not turning. It is a Toro, model SR4 Super Recycler.

By J.D.V.S

Answers

My only suggestion. A blades are driven from the engine thru a belt and pulley system. I would check to make sure the belt is riding on the pulleys when engage to mow.

Sometimes they slip off the pully. Also make sure the belt is not broken.

There is a pin that can be sheared if you run over something while mowing,if the blade spins freely or you can spin by hand,this is most likely the problem

I just replaced the spindle bearings on my Murray riding mower, but when I tighten the blade the spindle gets stuck and will not spin. What am I missing?

Answers

You may have tightened too much. Read this article and see if you have followed all the steps. homeguides.sfgate.com/changing-spindle-riding-mowers-103102...

My Craftsman LT 1000 blades will not engage with lever operation.

By Swen

Answers

This could be a pulley or even a cable problem. You'll need to check the cable release for the blades and make sure it is working correctly. If the wire to the release is not moving then it needs to be replaced. At times these wires will break and they have to be replaced.