MTD Mower Blade Won't Turn?

Half way through cutting my lawn with my MTD riding lawn mower I got up to empty the clipping bin. The safety device on the seat causes the mower to shut off. When I returned to restart the mower and press on, the engine started fine, but when I went to engage the blade it stalled. After a few attempts there was a burning rubber smell and some smoke. Turned off the mower, removed the spark plug cap and attempted to turn the blade by hand (after releasing the blade clutch). It will turn, but with great effort and only about 2 or 3 inches. All belts are intact. Ideas?

You may have an issue with the PTO (power takeoff clutch). More information is here www.repairclinic.com/.../MTD-Lawn-mower-blades-won-t-engage

Thank you. I will look into this.

it sounds like something got in the carburetor and caused an effluent effect. It would be best to get it serviced to prevent soething like that from happening in the future

Thank you, but I am not sure the carburetor is the cause of the problem as the engine runs without issue prior to the blade being engaged.

I am the gal who has issues and goes right to the source to ask what's what!

Try their customer services and see if they can offer you any solution! I have solved many a dilemma this way!

I feel better going to the source...rather than crowd sourcing for some things because sometimes people suggest things that end up to make things worse...so I learned the hard way when to ask friends and when to ask the source!

My rule is with big stuff like mowers...right to the source...little things like a vacuum or iron or such, I usually go to YouTube :) I am not handy, but some of those videos are darn good!! Wishing you the best!

Here's the contact info: www.mtdproducts.com/.../ContactUs_10500_20500_-1

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 20, 2018
🐛
🌻
👒
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/MTD-Mower-Blade-Wont-Turn.html