Keeping Cats Out of House Plants

House plants are often quite attractive to your cats inspiring digging, munching, and sometimes use as a cat box. This is a guide about keeping cats out of house plants.

July 22, 2009 Flag

My sweet kitty just loves when I dig up the dirt to plant my flowerbeds and thinks that she's discovered a new litter box! After trying other methods: sprinkling in hot pepper (nope), cayenne pepper (nope), even adding clam shells into the soil (nope), I tried this.

I heard that animals don't like citrus and so after making orange-lemonade (3 oranges, 3 lemons and sugar to a gallon, YUM). I slivered up the peels and sprinkled them around in my flower bed under petals so they didn't show. You may also even add soil to empty citrus fruit peel halves and plant some small flower seeds and use them as pots! It worked! No more kitty visits!

I ended up doing the same around my vegetable garden fencing since a groundhog started making his rounds there soon after! Hope this helps all my creative friends out there! :D

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tried this, doesn't work on our cat

Going to try the moth ball method next (no small kids in the house anymore)

Like it AHA ! Hav'nt tried it yet , but yours seems the easiest solution. I just got me a kitten , as my wife went into care last October ....and had to re-learn what little I did know about kittens from almost half a century ago ! ! I'm wondering which way up the peel should be placed , given where I live , New Zealand is "Down Under ! "....joking of course ! Thanks again , Bruce the Ancient Mariner !

Read More Comments...

June 7, 2010 Flag

I use fruit and veggie net bags to protect my floor plants from my bad kitties that like to dig and leave 'unmentionables' in them. I cut a bag into a circle to fit the diameter of the pot, then cut down the middle. Using clear packaging tape, I tape each side to the rim of the pot up to the base of the plant in the middle. My cats hate the netting and you can water and fertilize right through the net. Here's to loving bad kitties!

By krisanthemum from Pataskala, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is an excellent suggestion! Thanks for sharing!

Did not work with my cats they urinated on top of the pine cones

Read More Comments...

January 22, 2009 Flag

I have read questions on how to keep cats out of your house plants. Simple, use tin foil. Lay tin foil around the plant on the dirt. Don't push it down onto the dirt or you will start to get some mold. Just lay it on top. Your cats will hate it, and your plants will be fine.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 10, 2015 Flag

How do I keep my cat out of poisonous house plants?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have a cat, do not have any poisonous plants in your house. A leaf from a plant falling on the floor could tempt your cat to play with it, and just that could make it sick. I once had a chrysanthemum in my house and my cat had diarrhea for a week. I don't even know how she ingested any of it.

You'll just have to make a decision- pets or plants?

Abigail is absolutely right.

July 5, 2013 Flag

I recently adopted two male cats from a shelter. They are about two years old and are well behaved in every aspect except one started using my large potted houseplants as a litter box. After researching various remedies on line, I bought a bag of "rough" decorative gravel/rocks from Home Depot for about $5....

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 14, 2013 Flag

I have two 5 month old kittens. The one has started to lay in the plant. He is not digging in it, eating it, or using it as a litter box. He just likes laying in the plant on the dirt. The only thing is he ends up dragging dirt everywhere when he gets out. Is there a way to keep him from getting in my plants?

By Tina W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A piece of aluminum foil crinkled to fit over the dirt will work well.

I have had good luck crumpling aluminum foil all around the exposed soil. It keeps my cats out of the plants and does not harm the plants.

Use lava rocks for a more attractive and permanant solution (rather than aluminum foil). Spread a layer of lava on top of the dirt- its porous and not harmful to plants or pets. You can also stick toothpicks in the soil, but be sure to use a lot, you'll need to put them in very close to each other (aprox. ½ inch apart) so it prevents any access to them getting little paws into pots.

Read More Answers...

January 3, 2011 Flag

How can I keep a cat away from my houseplants?

By Pamela from Shreve, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My calico was eating my plants. I tried Febreze, and air fresheners to keep her away. Then I saw the Purina cat food just for indoor cats, and I got that, have been feeding that to her for over a month now, and she has completely stopped eating my plants. There is something in that food that satisfies their urge to chew on plants,if they were inside-outside cats, they would chew grass to get it out of their systems. But my Isabell is inside only, but let me tell you, this stuff works! And it is no more expensive than the regular Purina cat chow. Try it!

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Put a few orange,lemon or lime peels around the base of the plant. No more worries. Hope this helps.

I've got a problem with my cat laying in the citrus - I've got a lemon and an orange tree, and every time I leave for work, he's in them.

Read More Answers...

December 3, 2011 Flag

My house cat (kitten) is getting into my houseplants. He is sitting and digging. What can I do to keep him out?

By Patty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would avoid the mothballs. They are poisonous. I put a layer of river rock on the soil of my houseplants. The cats completely lost interest.

I buy pebbles from the Dollar Tree & put in my houseplants, they look pretty & the cat doesn't try to dig in them. Also it doesn't effect watering your plants.

Definitely avoid moth balls and I can tell you from experience that pebbles on top of the soil will work plus the pebbles help keep moisture in the soil so it's a win win solution ;-)

Read More Answers...

October 13, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to keep cats away from potted plants?

By Tammie from Wildomar, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just place orange peels on top of the soil. Cats hate the smell of any kind of citrus. I also used this tip in my flower beds. They wont come near it.

Put marbles or glass pieces used in aquariums on top of the soil. Water will still go through and cats can't get to the soil.

Spray the cat with water every time it goes near the plant. Let the cat see the sprayer. When you leave the house, put the spray bottle in front of the plant and the cat will leave it alone. At least it worked with our cat.

Read More Answers...

October 14, 2010 Flag

How do you stop cats from pooping in houseplants?

By Quana from Dayton, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are a lot of really good ideas in the ThriftyFun archives below comments here. :-)

Just put orange peels in top of the soil. Cats hate the smell of any kind of citrus. I used this tip outside in my flower beds. No more cats using my beds as litter boxes. Hope this helps. ~Janette~

Also, change your cat litter. The cat seems to prefer the texture and smell of the earth over the texture and smell of your present litter. Try different litters until you find one the cat will use. I am a foster parent for a no-kill cat shelter, and presently have 9 cats. I have 10 litter boxes and 3 different kinds of litter. Some cats use the clumping, some will use only the non clumping clay litter and 2 cats will only use the recycled newsprint litter! None of them like the "super absorbent silicone" litter! Good luck. You may just have to use potting soil in your litter box!

Read More Answers...

November 7, 2013 Flag

Simple, but very effective! After years of trying almost everything to stop Brooklyn, our cat, from leaving his deposit in my overwintering houseplants I finally hit on this method which seems to have stopped him in his tracks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 17, 2010 Flag

How do you keep cats from digging house plants?

By Shell from Chambersburg, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have done this before. I have mixed or buried jacks, the toys you play with, most of the time my cat wont dig when there are pointy objects in there, also they hate orange slices. Hope this helps!

Fill it with gumballs from a sweet-gum tree, or pine cones.

Set them on sheets of aluminum foil, cats hate the feel and the noise.

Read More Answers...

April 26, 2007 Flag

I have stray and neighborhood cats that spray on my front porch, and also my plants and flowers. They are killing my garden! Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent them from spraying on outdoor plants?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsSeptember 17, 2012
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Cat Looking in Flap
Other Cats Using My Cat Flap
A cat eating a houseplant.
Keeping Cats From Eating Houseplants
🎉
🎄