Keeping Cats Out of House Plants

House plants are often quite attractive to your cats inspiring digging, munching, and sometimes use as a cat box. This is a guide about keeping cats out of house plants.

A cat in a house plant.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My sweet kitty just loves when I dig up the dirt to plant my flowerbeds and thinks that she's discovered a new litter box! After trying other methods: sprinkling in hot pepper (nope), cayenne pepper (nope), even adding clam shells into the soil (nope), I tried this.

I heard that animals don't like citrus and so after making orange-lemonade (3 oranges, 3 lemons and sugar to a gallon, YUM). I slivered up the peels and sprinkled them around in my flower bed under petals so they didn't show. You may also even add soil to empty citrus fruit peel halves and plant some small flower seeds and use them as pots! It worked! No more kitty visits!

I ended up doing the same around my vegetable garden fencing since a groundhog started making his rounds there soon after! Hope this helps all my creative friends out there! :D

By AHA! from Sterling, PA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use fruit and veggie net bags to protect my floor plants from my bad kitties that like to dig and leave 'unmentionables' in them. I cut a bag into a circle to fit the diameter of the pot, then cut down the middle. Using clear packaging tape, I tape each side to the rim of the pot up to the base of the plant in the middle. My cats hate the netting and you can water and fertilize right through the net. Here's to loving bad kitties!

By krisanthemum from Pataskala, OH

How do I keep my cat out of poisonous house plants?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Abigail is absolutely right.

Read More Answers...

I have read questions on how to keep cats out of your house plants. Simple, use tin foil. Lay tin foil around the plant on the dirt. Don't push it down onto the dirt or you will start to get some mold. Just lay it on top. Your cats will hate it, and your plants will be fine. Also, they do make colored tin foil if you don't want the plain silver.

By Laurie from Osakis, MN

My house cat (kitten) is getting into my houseplants. He is sitting and digging. What can I do to keep him out?

By Patty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Definitely avoid moth balls and I can tell you from experience that pebbles on top of the soil will work plus the pebbles help keep moisture in the soil so it's a win win solution ;-)

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know how to keep cats away from potted plants?

By Tammie from Wildomar, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Spray the cat with water every time it goes near the plant. Let the cat see the sprayer. When you leave the house, put the spray bottle in front of the plant and the cat will leave it alone. At least it worked with our cat.

Read More Answers...

I have two 5 month old kittens. The one has started to lay in the plant. He is not digging in it, eating it, or using it as a litter box. He just likes laying in the plant on the dirt. The only thing is he ends up dragging dirt everywhere when he gets out. Is there a way to keep him from getting in my plants?

By Tina W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had good luck crumpling aluminum foil all around the exposed soil. It keeps my cats out of the plants and does not harm the plants.

Read More Answers...

How can I keep a cat away from my houseplants?

By Pamela from Shreve, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Put a few orange,lemon or lime peels around the base of the plant. No more worries. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

How do you stop cats from pooping in houseplants?

By Quana from Dayton, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also, change your cat litter. The cat seems to prefer the texture and smell of the earth over the texture and smell of your present litter. Try different litters until you find one the cat will use. I am a foster parent for a no-kill cat shelter, and presently have 9 cats. I have 10 litter boxes and 3 different kinds of litter. Some cats use the clumping, some will use only the non clumping clay litter and 2 cats will only use the recycled newsprint litter! None of them like the "super absorbent silicone" litter! Good luck. You may just have to use potting soil in your litter box!

Read More Answers...

How do you keep cats from digging house plants?

By Shell from Chambersburg, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Set them on sheets of aluminum foil, cats hate the feel and the noise.

Read More Answers...

I recently adopted two male cats from a shelter. They are about two years old and are well behaved in every aspect except one started using my large potted houseplants as a litter box. After researching various remedies on line, I bought a bag of "rough" decorative gravel/rocks from Home Depot for about $5 and put them on the surface of the soil and problem solved! I watched my cat stand on his hind legs, paw at the rocks just once, and then went directly to the litter box. There are different kinds of rocks in different colors. I got mountain granite and it's a tan color. An added benefit is that it helps retain soil moisture.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have stray and neighborhood cats that spray on my front porch, and also my plants and flowers. They are killing my garden! Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent them from spraying on outdoor plants? I've heard of the pepper and coffee grounds, but I don't think they are sniffing, they just lift and spray. Help!

Nicole from Chowchilla, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If YOU can stand the smell, I had a neighbor who would put moth balls in her flower bed to keep her cat from using it. I saw her cat go to the flower bed and he made a "couldn't-stand-the-smell" gesture after smelling the moth balls and walked away.

Editor's Note: Please remember that moth balls can be very toxic to pets and put them into something (a mesh bag) so that hey are easy to find when you want to get rid of them.

Read More Answers...

Simple, but very effective! After years of trying almost everything to stop Brooklyn, our cat, from leaving his deposit in my overwintering houseplants I finally hit on this method which seems to have stopped him in his tracks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does ammonia work for cats urinating and pooping in house plants?

By April from Dallas, TX

Cat Pooping in House Plants

I would not put ammonia on the soil of house plants. I had a cat that did the same thing and here is what worked for us.

If you can re-pot the plants, do so. If this is not feasible, take off as much of the potting mixture as you can and replace with fresh mixture. We then used regular pine cones and placed around the plants. My cat did not like them at all and you can water right over them. (11/26/2009)

By dduff

Cat Pooping in House Plants

Save the mesh bags that onions come in and crumple them up and place on the soil around the bottom of the plants. They don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws. You may have a mess the first couple of times that they jump in, but they will not go back. (11/26/2009)

By PICO

Cat Pooping in House Plants

You do not even want to use ammonia for cleaning urine or poop spots on carpet, floors, comforters, etc. Cats are attracted to it because it's an odor similar to their urine and makes them think that's where they should go potty. (11/26/2009)

By Deeli

Cat Pooping in House Plants

I put coffee grounds, about an inch deep, on top of the soil. The pine cones can go right on top of it. Great idea. Now they don't use my plants as a bathroom. They just eat them! So I hung them all from the ceiling; the plants, not the cats! (11/26/2009)

By catastrofy

Cat Pooping in House Plants

I used to have this problem. I took large decorative rocks and spread them around the top of the soil. The cats can't move them to dig and then they leave it alone. You could take a small amount of potting soil and spread it on their litter box. They will like it. (11/26/2009)

By c t

Cat Pooping in House Plants

Ammonia may actually make them think that is the right place to go. I've read on Thriftyfun that orange rinds will keep them out. I used to put wire mesh across the top of my large plants. You can cut it to fit around the plant and it's pliable so that you can fit it down around the top of the pot. (11/27/2009)

By Beth

Cat Pooping in House Plants

Maybe he does not like your brand of cat litter? Try to find some that is more like plant dirt. Good luck. If this fails, I would call the vet as maybe there are health issues? (11/28/2009)

By Amandablue

Cat Pooping in House Plants

Cats do not like the smell of citrus, so you could put orange rinds on the soil. Or bend the peels with the outside facing the soil, it will spray out the smell of the fruit. Go to the local dollar store, buy the small jars of citrus air freshener, poke a couple of holes in the top, set 1 in each pot. In a month or 2 you will still be able to use the jars elsewhere in your home, and the cats will leave the plants alone. I have 3 cats. It worked with them. One of them was wild when she came here to live. She didn't know what "no,no" meant. But she leaves the plants alone. (11/29/2009)

By mrs. joe

Cat Pooping in House Plants

Sorry but I have to ask you; how clean is the box? Ours is cleaned twice a day (in the morning and again at night). Cats do not like a dirty box at all and are picky about some of the litters that they are expected to relieve themselves in several times a day. (11/30/2009)

By Paula Jo Carr

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you keep a cat from digging in house plants?

By Joey from NY, NY

Cat Digging in House Plants

DO NOT USE any kind of pepper or mothballs! Mothballs are poison to animals. Pepper burns their eyes so badly that they will actually scratch their eyes right out to get rid of the pain. Use citrus scents. Cats don't like the smell of citrus, oranges and lemons, or cover the dirt up with crumpled foil, a paper plate with double sided sticky tape on it, or coffee grounds. I cut the top off a 2 litre bottle, wrapped it around the plant stem, and the cats can't get at the soil. You use the top with the pouring hole. Slit it up one side and put it around the stem with the spout up and the cut part over the soil, like a tent! (10/31/2009)

By catastrofy

Cat Digging in House Plants

I used to have cats that did that. I took some large rocks and placed them on top of the soil. You don't have to cover every inch, just enough so they have no room to dig. Make sure they are big enough that the cats can't move them. There is enough air space for the plant and the cat can't find room to dig. This worked great. Bricks would work, but the rocks were really nice looking and did the job well. (11/01/2009)

By c t

Cat Digging in House Plants

I also use pebbles in my houseplants, it keeps my cat from digging plus it looks good, too. NO mothballs, they are bad to breathe the fumes for you and the kitty. (11/01/2009)

By foxyroxy

Cat Digging in House Plants

I use seashells. You can find them at any craft store. They are pretty and the cats don't want to stand on them. (11/02/2009)

By Bethmom1961

Cat Digging in House Plants

Use the mesh bags that onions come in to cover up the soil. Cats don't like it because their claws get caught in it. (11/03/2009)

By PICO

Cat Digging in House Plants

Do not use mothballs and please, do not use black pepper. It is fatal to cats. (06/17/2010)

By Maryeileen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Would anyone know of a cat repellent for my cat? I have numerous houseplants and I do not want him to get sick by chewing on them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have any remedies to deter my cats from eating my houseplants/flowers? I love to keep small potted plants and flowers in my home, but my cats love to chew on the them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I stop my cat from pooping in my indoor plants? He has access to the litter box but digs in the plants and poops in it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Need help. I have a kitten and she won't stay out of my house plants. Every morning I find a pile of dirt laying beside the pots where she has been digging.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put orange peels in your potted plants, cats hate the citrus smell. Replace every week when they start to get dry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
      CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsSeptember 17, 2012
      Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
      Keeping Your House Dusted
      Dealing With Stray Cats
      Dealing With Stray Cats
      Cat Looking in Flap
      Other Cats Using My Cat Flap
      A cat eating a houseplant.
      Keeping Cats From Eating Houseplants
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:09:18 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 707 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.