Keeping Cats from Peeing on Floor

Category Cats
Orange tabby cat on wooden floor looking up
When a cat pees outside of their litter box determining the reason is the first step to resolving the problem. This is a guide about keeping cats from peeing on floor.

Recently, my roommate and I decided to get two kittens. They are brothers and now, they are about 2 to 3 months old. We got them at 5 weeks old, and yes that is young, but they were going to be left in a box on the side of the road.

Flick is fine. He uses the litter box every time. Finn, on the other hand, recently started peeing on the floor. However, sometimes he will go in the litter box. No poop, just pee. Before, he was using the litter box fine. We haven't moved it or anything. Please help. How do we stop this?

By Britini from London, ON

Best Answer

Sounds like a urinary tract infection. I have 2 cats and had this same situation one time. Please take him to the vet.

Best Answer

Another thing is to neutralize the area that the cat peed on with vinegar and water. Never use any cleaning product with ammonia as cat urine is ammonia and they will go back to the same spot.

Best Answer

Some cats also do not like to share a litter box or if they think its dirty they also will not use it or it could be he is sick try a second litter box and have your vet check him out good luck and take care.

Will removing the soiled carpet and replacing with new carpet stop my cat from urinating in my house?

By Sebrina from Atlanta, GA

No, it wont. That will just cost you money. My cat had the same problem. Take her to the vet she might have a UTI, my cat did. If the vet says nothing is wrong with her, she is doing it out of spite so get her a bigger litter box.

I have been having problems with one of my 3 cats urinating in a couple of different areas lately and the house is starting to smell horrible. We took him to the vet's to see if he had a urinary tract infection and it was negative, and he still keeps going. He is going on rugs, new hardwood floors, and the basement floor.

I have tried Nature's Miracle (does not work), numerous products from Fosters and Smith (none worked) and numerous other cleaning products that also never worked. We heard about cats not liking citrus, so we put lemon juice in a few bowls in the problem areas and the cat drank them! I am going to try a mixture of peroxide, baking soda and vinegar. Hope this works. Any other suggestions would be great!

By Craig from New Oxford, PA

Answers:

Discouraging a Cat from Urinating on the Floor

If it isn't an infection problem, then it is probably a behavior problem. Those are harder to treat. First if you have 3 cats, then you need at least one litter box for each cat plus one (so 4!). Make sure they are in different locations and cleaned daily. You can try different kinds of litter (clumping, pine, clay, crystals). They recommend open litter boxes not the covered kind. Make sure they are in quiet locations, not the center of the traffic area of the house. Make sure if you have an old cat that the litter box is low enough so it can get into it. Some cats get arthritis as they get older and can't get in and out of the litter box as well. Make sure the litter box is big enough. If you have a really big cat make sure they aren't getting in the litter box, but not fitting and give up and go to a rug somewhere.

If all else fails, try locking one cat up at a time with a litter box and see who it is that is causing the problem. There are medications you can put them on to help with behavior problems. But it must be used in conjunction with these other things to stop the bad behavior. You also have to rule out infections, bladder stones, and diabetes as possible causes. (12/31/2007)

By junebug_000

I had great luck using just plain, white vinegar. One (or both!) of my cats urinated on my bedroom floor and the room was just awful. I found a tip on this site and someone suggested pouring straight vinegar on the spot. I soaked the area. Then I put a piece of plastic wrap on the spot and covered it with a bowl (or something so the plastic stays put). I had to keep it like that for a few days, but it seemed to work. If I put my nose to the carpet I think I can still smell traces, but at least it's not wafting through the air. I suppose some good carpet cleaner might take the rest out.

A few days after that one of them urinated on a spare bed. It soaked into the mattress and I did the same thing. Voila! Smell gone.

Good luck! Kathy (01/03/2008)

By khilde80

The cat may have a kidney or bladder problem. My daughter's cat started peeing on beds so the vet said a kidney problem and my daughter got the cat food made specifically for this problem. (01/03/2008)

By mammmasita

My cat is peeing on the floor and drinking lots of water.

Todd from Owen Sound, Canada

Answers:

Cat Peeing on Floor

If the cat is drinking a lot, it could have kidney disease or diabetes. Put the cat in the bathroom with a clean empty litter box and wait for it to pee. When it does, collect some in a clean container (empty syringe is good or empty prescription bottle) and put it in the fridge if you can't get it to the vet right away. The vet will be able to see if there is any glucose in there, if it is concentrated, or if there are signs of infection. You will need to bring the cat to the vet too. Good luck. (02/14/2008)

By junebug_000

Cat Peeing on Floor

Junebug is right, these symptoms could be diabetes (their symptoms: eating more but losing weight, breath that smells like nail polish remover, developing a peculiar walk). If it is diabetes your cat needs professional treatment fast, small animals can quickly die from dehydration. Wishing the best for your cat. (02/14/2008)

By perfume and powder

Cat Peeing on Floor

I'm sorry, but I think your cat has a kidney disease. Please take your cat to a vet and make sure. Good luck. I hope I'm wrong. (02/14/2008)

By Smoochie

Cat Peeing on Floor

(Sent in by email)

My cat started doing the same thing, he's an old guy, 16. I treated it as feline diabetes. I bought Precise cat food which is high protein and it really helped right away. http://www.precisepet.com/

A vet will have you giving insulin most likely. Because my cat is old and hates the vet, I treated it this way and it works well. (02/15/2008)

Sarah

Cat Peeing on Floor

Just joining the "take your cat to the vet" chorus. It's definitely diabetes or kidney disease, and a special food isn't going to cure it. (02/15/2008)

By chretienne

Cat Peeing on Floor

When my cat changed his urinary habits I thought it was so cute. He propped himself on the edge of the toilet bowl and did it there. I told my vet about it and his reply was " when a cat changes their usual spot for urinating it's a sign of too much ash in the diet". We changed his diet to a low ash one and he was fine after that. (02/15/2008)

By shebaro

Cat Peeing on Floor

I know the primary problem seems like the urination issue, but if you do some research online, you will find that excessive thirst and urination are the bodies way of trying to "wash" something toxic out. Try looking up "earthclinic.com" for more advice. Was your cat exposed to anything toxic? I've heard that the Swiffer things can kill dogs and kids, and the Roundup spray for weeds is a neurotoxin. You might want to look through your cat's environment for dangers. Also, we've had great success with dandelion root powder to help animals and people detox. Good luck! (02/15/2008)

By Gina J.

Cat Peeing on Floor

Visit the vet immediately. Our 13 yr. old kitty has failing kidneys, which is completely normal for this age. We started her on Science Diet KD, and she isn't urinating as much, but still drinks a lot of water. The vet said be sure she drinks as much as possible. Feline Urinary Syndrome and diabetes are also possibilities - that's why you need the vet.

Best way to collect a specimen: fill box with clean litter. Place sheet of plastic (cut a bag to make it flat) over the litter and use your hand to make a fist size indentation in one corner, also making a slight slope toward that corner. Be sure the plastic is big enough to hang over all the edges. Sprinkle a bit of litter over the plastic. When kitty pees, it will run to the low corner. Use a small, clean container to catch the liquid when you pick up the plastic. (02/15/2008)

By shishi

Cat Peeing on Floor

Another possibility is thyroid problems. My cat had the same problems, his thyroid levels were too low. They can check with a simple blood test. Good luck! (02/16/2008)

By diana1117

Cat Peeing on Floor

Our neutered male cat began drinking excessive amounts of water and urinating frequently and in large amounts. We took him to the vet and my wife, who is an RN suggested we check the urine for glucose. This test is not normally done as part of routine testing, unless a problem is suspected. Sure enough his blood sugar was five times as high as normal!

We started him on an oral hypoglycemic med. but within 2 weeks he was showing signs of liver damage. Now he is on insulin 2 times daily every 12 hrs. We are still in the process of adjusting dosage, as the blood sugar is not controlled properly yet. REMEMBER - Drinking large amounts of water and frequent urination are classic signs of diabetes (in people as well as animals). (01/27/2009)

By R. W. B.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

I have a cat who is 2 years old, he was neutered when he was 6 months old. In the last year he has started peeing on the floor.