Keeping Coffee Fresh

Category Beverages
A cup of fresh coffee beans.
Fresh grounds make a better cup. Coffee lovers have their own ideas about the best way to keep their coffee fresh. This is a guide about keeping coffee fresh.

Tips for keeping coffee fresh. Post your ideas.

Best Answer

I always keep mine in an air tight container. I grind it as I use it, and contrary to popular belief, the freezer doesn't keep coffee fresher. You should never buy more than you can use in a fairly short period of time. If you want better tasting coffee, use filtered or distilled water. It makes a huge difference!

Best Answer

There seems to be disagreement as to whether freezing coffee grounds has a positive or negative effect on the brewed coffee flavor. I'm no sure which is correct. I am sure about one thing: exposure to air causes a loss of flavor. Every time you open a canister of coffee, whether it has been stored in the freezer, the refrigerator or kitchen cabinet, you are exposing the entire contents of the canister to air.

I save and clean, glass peanut butter jars. When I first open a canister of coffee, I divide the contents into the jars (I get about 6-7 jars per container), and screw the lids on tightly. Then, I refrigerate the jars. That seventh jar tastes about as good as the first because its contents have not already been repeatedly exposed to air.

The coffee can recommends refrigeration for unused coffee grounds. I have been letting the can sit in the pantry. I don't have room in my frig. Can I freeze the grounds to keep them fresh? A can lasts me a long time. Thanks in advance.

By sassy

Yes, you can freeze coffee to keep it fresh. We only drink coffee at breakfast so I keep a small container in the refrigerator to use so it always tastes fresh. It is important that the containers be air tight to preserve the flavor. Enjoy.

Absolutely! Put coffee in a plastic freezer bag (or several small bags). That saves more room in your freezer too plus keeps it fresh.