Browsing: Keeping Dogs Out of Flowerbeds

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Dogs Out of Flowerbeds

It seems that despite having all of the rest of the yard to lie in, dogs love to snooze or dig in the flower garden. This is a guide about keeping dogs out of flowerbeds.

dog in flowerbed
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 13, 2010 Flag

Having four dogs running around my garden, I found that the best way to avoid the trampled plants, bent branches, and other fun stuff that happens in a garden when pets run rampant is to work out where they like to run and make them their own racing track. Most dogs love to run along fence lines to see the outside world and an easy fix is to stake a length of cheap wire (chicken or strands) about 12 - 18 inches from the fence line. You probably won't need to do too much, just where there may be more delicate or precious plants. It's not very visible and saves a lot of stress on you!

Another idea is to make stepping stones as a path where they run. Get the kids involved and collect some flat pavers or bricks, etc. and lay a track in and around your plants for the dogs to use. Maybe glue and grout some colorful tiles to the pavers (the kids have a great time helping make original works of art!) and it has the added bonus of adding lots of color to the garden when the flowering season is over.
Cheers!

By vicki57 from Queensland, AU

April 12, 2010 Flag

How can you keep dogs away from flowers and vegetable plants, other than putting up a small fence? Thank you.

By Yvette from Salem, NH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are some really good suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

May 13, 2010 Flag

I need to know of a natural, inexpensive way to keep dogs out of flower beds. I know that they like to lay in the mulch but they are killing my flowers. Help!

Tabitha

Answers:

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Mine do NOT like to walk on the decorative rock that my DH put around our 'fireplug' so that keeps them out of ours. (09/27/2004)

By Randiann

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

My dog will not stay out of my flower beds! HELP..

(04/20/2005)

By La'Tasha

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Try red pepper. Dried Crushed Peppers are easier to spread without getting on the flowers and leaves themselves. If that doesn't work, I've heard Moth Balls works also. (05/19/2005)

By Sonya

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

My dog destroyed our flowers by walking through it. It is hard cause the front is where she goes out cause it is fenced in. Our back is not no more because she jumped the fence in back. I wish I knew something that would look decent that we could put around flower bed to avoid our dog walking through it. Any ideas would be helpful. thanks. (09/09/2006)

By Kim

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I have tried so many things to keep my dogs from digging in the dirt of our flower bed. Finally I spoke to my dad and his exact words were. "Son, you have two options here. You can either have a nice yard with green grass and flowers, or you can have a couple of dogs. But not both." (03/31/2007)

By Ted

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

Sprinkle crushed hot red pepper on flower beds. Or even better, also use the following mixture too:

Soak crushed hot peppers (or cayenne) in rubbing alcohol for 1 or 2 days, strain and then pour into a well marked sprayer bottle and spray on house plants, garbage cans and inside lids or on any plants or bushes where dogs like to hang dig or pee. This mixture keeps cats away and works for mole holes too, I don't see why it wouldn't also work for dogs (it just makes animals sneeze and they leave)

If you have an "ethnic" store near you (Indian, Asian, Mexican etc.) you can purchase a very large (1 pound) bag of crushed red pepper there. It's by far the best place to buy it. Sometimes they have several bags marked down due to age, just ask the grocery manager. In a pinch, black pepper will also work. Also at large health food stores or co-ops (or maybe the Internet?) you can usually buy hot African cayenne in bulk. Cayenne or any hot pepper works just as well (but can cost more than the crushed red pepper).

While I'm on the subject, I've found that most ethnic stores (especially Indian) have by far the very best prices on spices... You don't get the fancy little bottles, but instead the spices come in plastic bags. After opening, just put the spices in individual recycled jars (like mayonnaise). The prices are usually so low, they will surprise you. You'll usually get at least 4 times more for the price you'd pay at the grocery store! (03/31/2007)

By Cyinda

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I put cactus low in the ground throughout my flower beds. They stay out of those areas. Since I don't care for cactus I planted small ones so they just stick up and also just under the leaves of some of the plants. I covered the flower beds with bark so I can barely see the cactus. (06/03/2007)

By

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

By Riverrat

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

My Dog Eats Moth Balls!

Editor's Note:Mothballs are very bad for pets. If you dog has eaten some, take him to the vet. (06/24/2007)

By Chad

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I have also heard that moth balls work. However, I tried it and not only did it not work, I now have two smelly dogs and very smelly flowerbeds. (06/25/2007)

By Sara

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I hope this red pepper works! The only other means is to use a hot wire and I really don't wont to do that. My two baby labs chewed the wire harness out of my truck. Chewed on my Cadillac and found them wrestling muddy as they could be on the hood of the Cady. They are sweet hearts and I don't want to hurt them or break there spirits. So What do you guys think?

THANK YOU (04/28/2008)

ByThe Fuselier Family

Keeping Dogs Out Of Flower Beds

I kept my big dogs from digging in my flower beds by clearing out as much ground cover as possible and then adding weed block (since I was down there) and chicken wire. Listen, I'm no genius and if it didn't quite fit, I overlapped or wove bits together. Then I covered it all with mulch. It worked about 15 years. (03/04/2009)

By Floridacountry

Home and Garden Pest Control DogsApril 27, 2013
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
A large pumpkin harvest in fall.
Fall Gardening Tips
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:36:37 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.