Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I need some kitchen color and design help desperately. I am redoing my kitchen with distressed maple cabinets with a coffee glaze. I have chosen Verde Butterfly granite, and am stuck on appliance color. Stainless steel is too high maintenance trying to keep it smudge free, so I was debating between black (which may make the kitchen look like a cave) or white (which may look dated or not compliment cabinets and granite enough). I have standard height ceilings. Please help. Thanks.

By Kathy from CA

Answers:

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Despite your objection to stainless steel, I would go with that for the simple reason of the increase in value of your home. Stainless steel appliances are in high demand right now. And even if you're not looking to sell your home, it's still a factor that I would take into consideration. There are "smudge-less" finishes you can get. Again looking at the home-value aspect, white would be my next choice. It would probably be cheaper to change or reface the cabinets to a more compatible color. (04/03/2009)

By Corene

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I clean houses for a living, and see all different appliances. Yes stainless steel requires constant wiping to look nice, especially if you have kids and/or a dog. Just a wet cloth won't do it, you need a special cleaner, and you have to go with the "grain" when wiping. Also, every little scratch or stain shows, forever. Black has the same problem, and every fingerprint shows. But you can use a soft wet cloth with a little soap for cleaning, not a special cleaner. If, when you move, you take your appliances with you, stainless steel will not increase the value of your home. White will never be out of date, it's easy to clean and always looks fresh. The majority of the homes I clean have white appliances, and those that have black or stainless, unless they have been diligently cared for, don't always look the best after a few years. (04/05/2009)

By marivan

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Kathy,
What about the appliances that came out that have the look of stainless but are supposed to be easier to keep looking good? I think I remember Lowe's having them. They came out as an alternative to stainless and were supposed to be cheaper. (04/05/2009)

By aintnomarthastewart

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

How about almond? It always looks nice with light or dark woods and most colors of tiles, granites, etc. (04/05/2009)

By patom

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I agree with the almond choice. I've had almond everything for many years and have moved several times and they always go good in any kitchen. I'm not a fan of stainless because (to me) it looks cold, and I prefer cozy. (04/05/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

Our refrigerators and stoves have always been almond. They're not as stark-looking as white and they go with just about everything. (04/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

I have a fairly new kitchen with maple cabinetry. My appliances are white. I did not want stainless as I did not want my home to look cold and commercial. White, or almond as others have suggested is perfectly acceptable. If you are worried about it being out of date, remember that everything classic comes back. And although they stopped selling harvest gold and avocado, they never stopped selling white and almond. (04/06/2009)

By Lynn

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice

White is classic, and never goes out of date. It is also easy to match, should you have to change an appliance some time in the future. (04/17/2009)

By louel53

Kitchen Appliance Color Advice
Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Kitchen with tile.
Kitchen Floor Tile Color Advice
Tiled Kitchen Wall
Kitchen Wall Tile Color Advice
🎉
🎄