Kitchen Paint Color Advice for Dark Green Counter Tops

Gallon paint cans with several different colors and had holding paint color sample strips
Choosing a paint color to complement dark green kitchen counter tops can be difficult. This is a guide about kitchen paint color advice for dark green counter tops.

I need some suggestions in upgrading my kitchen. I do know I want the wallpaper gone. Please give suggestions on color for walls with the green counter tops. Also what would be a goo floor type besides white. The white floors are really hard to keep clean. Photos of nice kitchen ideas would be appreciated so much!

If I had those dark green countertops, I would make the walls a very, very light, creamy avocado color. I would keep the floors light because dark is harder to clean than white. What color floor you choose would depend on the material you have in mind. Keep in mind I'm not a decorator. Good luck!

Hello you can probably paint the walls a very pale green and leave the cabinets white or you can paint the wall a very pale peach color with the cabinets still white. Peach and dark green look great together. Good Luck!

I am a professional painter and a while back we did an apartment where the lady had green countertops and she wanted a purple to go with it. I thought, lady do you really know what you want. Turns out she did. It was absolutely beautiful!

I"d stick with a lighter shade of green for painting the walls. Don't use mint. Look for a shade of green that has some yellow or grey in it. Yellow green will warm the room. Also, you might want to consider yellowish green if your room doesnt get much sunlight. Otherwise use the grey green. I think using green will give the room a cohesive look because it ties in with the countertops.

One can never go wrong with another neutral. Grey is popular today, but I think of beige for a neutral shade for flooring or walls. Use either one of those colors with your white cabinets. If you are planning to paint the cabinets, I'd choose an off white shade that leans toward beige (ivory?) or butter cream.

Choose a very bright color for an accent color to be used in towels, throw rugs, and curtains. One person suggested purple which I found interesting. It would make it like grapes, purple and green. That is a nice theme for a kitchen if you are looking for a theme. Other accent colors you might consider are bright red, yellow or orange. For my accent color, I'd consider colors used in adjacent rooms. I"d also consider sunlight. If your room is dark, use yellow (or orange). If your room is brightly lit with sunlight, use purple or red.

Best of luck

I have white cupboards and dark green counter tops too. I painted my kitchen apricot and I love it. It is so refreshing and bright.

My husband and I are redoing our Kitchen. We have oak cabinets, white appliances and we just put a Terra Cotta back splash up with dark green grout. Our counter tops are dark green with a slight Terra Cotta color in it and then we used dark green with a lighter green for the ceramic floor and a Terra Cotta grout. What color should we use to paint the walls? It is an open kitchen into the dinning room so it would all have to be one color. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wendy from Pittsburgh, PA

I need advice on paint colors for my kitchen/dining room. It's all one big room. I have dark green counter tops, deep brown floral curtains, cream appliances, and oak cabinets. Should I go with a lighter celery green or paint a color that is complete opposite? Basically, my kitchen colors are dark green and brown. Your advice is appreciated!

Tina from Lebanon, OR

Answers:

What Color To Paint Kitchen With Dark Green Counter Tops

If you stick with white, you can't go wrong. (11/19/2007)

By MCW

I had that trouble too. My counters were brown. I found a sample of it and went to Home Depot and literally held the sample up in front of the wall of paint samples and picked out six or so that caught my eye - my kitchen is now a deep pumpkin orange and we put up molding to "separate" the living room and kitchen into two. I painted the living room a sage green. I love it! (11/19/2007)

What Color to Paint Kitchen with Dark Green Counter Tops

I love the idea of celery with the dark green! Go for it! (11/19/2007)

By MartyD

Something in the orange/coral/pink family would lighten things up. (11/19/2007)

By perfume and powder

How about something in the yellow family? I just painted a bathroom a color called Caribbean Sunset. It's sort of a light mango yellow color, and it looks awesome against the dark espresso brown cabinets. (11/20/2007)

By frontierrog

I love my dark green counters. We used Tera Cota on the kitchen walls, it looks great. (11/20/2007)

By Donna B.

I have a kitchen with dark counter tops, the celery green will be overdoing it with the green. I have a yellow/green color that looks terrific and definitely shows off the cabinets and counters in my open room/kitchen, I extended it to the entire room and have the area above the fireplace painted orange .. excellent. (11/20/2007)

By susan

Try using your creativity and a template or two with a white or light yellow background. Green apples or pears would be nice. (11/20/2007)

By MRS B 58

I would choose a pink color, something very muted. It would tie the other colors together.Pink goes very well with brown and dark green. Take a curtain panel to the paint store and find a paint chip the color closest to your counter top, and with the two of them find a pink that would work with both colors.
(11/21/2007)

By Laura

Thank you all so much for your advice! I have some good ideas rolling around in my head now. [: (11/23/2007)

By Tina

Lots of choices! Home Depot is a great resource. Try deeper shades of yellow, mustard to ocher. Anything in the WARM reds would be great. Brick, warm burgundy, terra cotta, pumpkin, coral, peach, etc.
For less contrast try a lighter shade of one of the existing colors, lighter greens or tan. Look at your brown floral fabric. Is there a color in the print that you especially like? Use the print as a guide when choosing colors. That way you know it won't clash with the upholstery and the floral will actually help pull everything together! (11/23/2007)

By Holly S.

How about the color of your appliances but a darker shade. (11/25/2007)

By Lily May

I'm thinging of a deep orange for my kitchen counter top is mixed oranges cabinets r dark oak app.r black (12/28/2007)

By jody

My husband and I are redoing our kitchen. I am not sure what color to paint the walls of the kitchen and dining room, as they are connected. We have dark green counter top, and we just put up a terra cotta back splash with dark green grout. Our floor is a darker, green ceramic tile with some lighter green, and the grout is a terra cotta color. Any suggestions?

Wendy from PA

Answers:

Paint Advise for Dark Green Countertop and Terra Cotta Backsplash

Behr has some lovely shades in the terra cotta spectrum... some lighter and some darker than your backsplash. I just bought guava jam for my bathroom (01/06/2008)

By MartyD

How about something in the peach/coral/apricot family? Sage green might be good also. (01/06/2008)

By perfumed fan

As an artist (hand painted wall murals & custom painted tiles for installation) color is my specialty. I often give my clients advice on color. As it happens, Dark Green has always been the color I, myself have always preferred to decorate with. I consider it one of the "Neutrals" because green is in practically everything, especially in nature.

---> In your adjoining room, I'd use either a lighter Terra-cotta as your main wall color with a bit of dark green used in some accent pieces for "pop"... Or, I'd reverse it, by using a Lighter color of green (like sage) on the walls with Tera-cotta as an accent color... But either way, take the dark colors you already have in your kitchen & Lighten one or both of these up. As a third option you could paint the walls a Mustard, or a sunny-Tan or Golden-Beige color (as this would be the color between the 2 on the color wheel = Terra (orange), Golden (yellow), Green.)
*IMPORTAINT: When I'm saying to use "lighter Colors", That does NOT mean pastel... I'm talking about a color about mid-way on the paint store's color samples... So, not dark, but not to pastel either...

---> If you do use mostly lighter colors in your adjoining room, be sure to use (as accent pieces) several darker pieces that match Exactly the kitchen colors (Dark Green or Terra cotta) & be sure to scatter them evenly around the room in 3 or more places. For example, a Vase, a picture frame & cushions or covers for the chairs, a table runner or a dark green plant in a corner with an "up" light, etc.

---> Christopher Lowell always recommends, If you have an adjoining room, (that you can see into, from the other room) make sure to use at least one of the colors from the adjoining room! This way, the 2 rooms will naturally tie in together. He recomends "Flipping" the colors... Say you have Plum as your main color & Sage as your accent in room "A"... in room "B", he recomends using Sage at the main color & Plum as the accent color.... But, you can also go with the same colors, but lighten up one, or both... Or ad a third color, as long as you include some of the colors of the room next to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* You failed to mention WHAT color of dark green was used in you counter tops, Hunter or Olive.... In other words: Is it a "Bluish" Dark Green, or a "Yellowish" dark Green? But either way, the above color advice I gave you will work.

* As for your white appliances: Just in case you're ever ready for a change, I've seen Stainless Steel, chalk board, copper (& other veneers) on the "Fine Living" channel's show "I want that!"... You cut the veneer with a box knife, peel off the backing & *Presto* you have a new color of appliances. This veneer can be used on all kinds of things, not just appliances
* I don't know if you can use this veneer on appliances that heat up, like ovens?

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/i_want_that/article/0,3147,FINE_28076_5110188,00.html
http://alsacorp.com/laminates.htm

* Write me here on ThriftyFun if you have any more questions. (01/06/2008)

By Cyinda

Here are some pictures, hope this helps (01/07/2008)

By Jwinner

RE: Paint Advise for Dark Green Countertop and Terra Cotta Backsplash

Here is another one (01/07/2008)

By Jwinner

Believe it or not, a very soft tan gold tone would go well. (I don't mean like the color gold of jewelery) Or you may try a VERY light color of wine, it sounds like the colors in your kitchen are of Italian or Tuscan decorating.
(01/07/2008)

By Kay

Wow, you've received some very good advice. I concur that a lighter shade of the terra cotta would be the right shade for the kitchen. Please keep it light. I also am working with light terra cotta in the drapes I've purchased for my living and dining rooms. Shade of orange are popular right now and I'd take advantage of that if I were you.

The artist who wrote to you gave excellent advice.

Best of luck. (01/07/2008)

By Carol in PA

Thanks for all of the suggestions, what about this. Our kitchen is set up weird so there is not a alot of wall to paint I thought about doing a lighter peach throughout the kitchen not a pastel but a light peach and then for the dinning room which opens up from the kitchen I thought about doing a two tone with a chair rail splitting the two colors, this would be a light peach on top and then a sage green on the bottom , would that look right or is that too many colors? let me know what you all think . Thanks again for all the advice. It has been very helpful. (01/07/2008)

By Jwinner