Line Drying Clothes Inside

Category Laundry
Drying Clothes Inside
You have made the decision to line dry your clothes whenever possible. This is a guide about line drying clothes inside.

My mom taught me this awesome tip. I bought two tension rods and put them in the shower. I wash my clothes and just hang them in the shower. It's easy and if you're hand washing it's time saving. You could skip pulling out the hanging rack. You don't even need to iron when they dry.

In the winter, I hang my laundry inside on hangers. The water from the clothes adds moisture in the house making the dry heat more tolerable on the mucus membranes and makes the house feel warmer.

In the winter time you can still hang your clothes to dry if you have someplace to hang some clothesline or rope. I have two rows of clothesline hung in my basement and I love to hang my clothes to dry after washing them. I use an inexpensive fabric softener and leave them down there overnight to dry. In the morning I just fold them all and put them away. It's also nice because it helps put a little more moisture in our house. We do not have a humidifier and the air gets pretty dry so this really helps with that, too.

By Robin

I can't hang my laundry outside on a line, and I'm pretty limited on space indoors as well. However, I really wanted to avoid the cost of running my dryer. I solved my problem by hanging a second shower curtain rod in my shower. Clothes are hung up on hangers while wet, then simply transfered to the closet once dry. Smaller items and non-clothing laundry can be draped over hangers as well.

By Leann

I'd purchased a nifty large powder coated steel drying rack with foldable sides at Container Store right before it was discontinued several years ago. I have this rack set up in my back bedroom and dry most of my clothing on it, instead of over the washer and dryer which are in a hallway and tend to slap us in the face with wet garments as we walk by. I was happy to see it now stocked by IKEA for $39.99 and am including this info if you are interested (some people had contacted me about where they could find it). It's now called, "The Antonius Foldable Drying Rack, #898.533.50". Search for it on the web site by name rather than by item number.

The Container Store clerk at the check out register raved about it and told me she'd been using hers for some 3 years when I originally purchased it. The shelves and the frame can be folded so that it takes up less floor space, then opened up again as needed. There is one small negative which is far outweighed by the positives. Although this rack has wheels, one of them always falls off when I move it but it's light weight enough to pick up and carry into a different room. The benefits are that it provides a nice out of the way space for drying my clothing, I use the dryer less, and I feel great about my contribution toward lessening pollution. When we have visitors, it can provide extra towel racks in the guest bathroom, and the rest of the time reside in the back room.

Source: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80119043

By Holly from Richardson, TX

You will need extra shower-curtain tension rod(s). Put them up in tub area as high as you need for the length of the sheets or curtains. Most sheets only need to be folded in half to fit across the rod. The rod(s) can be stored upright in a closet or behind a door, under a bed, etc.