Make Your Own Fruit Cups

Homemade Fruit Cup
While convenient, individual fruit cups can be an expensive way to buy fruit. This is a guide about how to make your own fruit cups.

I am a mom of four and a very frugal. If I buy applesauce cups for the kids, I don't throw them away. I wash them and make my own fruit cups to pack in their lunch. I cover the tops with Press 'n Seal. I buy the big cans of fruit (peaches, pineapple, fruit cocktail) from Sam's or Costco and can make many fruit cups much cheaper than paying over $2 for 4 cups.

By Oddeven Mom from Greensboro, NC

This recipe makes single serving fruit cups using mason jars or re-sealable plastic containers. These are great for school lunches.

Yield: 8 - 8 oz. fruit cups

• 4 cups fruit, diced (your favorite)
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 cups orange juice

1. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix.
  2. Spoon fruit and juice mixture into the mason jars until it reaches just below the top of your jar.
  3. Put on the lid tightly and freeze if you want.

Using the summer harvest of fruits available, I cut up oranges, apples, nectarines, grapes, watermelon and plums into a carved out watermelon bowl. I used my little heart cookie cutter to cut the watermelons into little hearts, just for fun! You could use any shapes you have according to the season or event.

I will use the orange halves for individual bowls. I even freeze them to have on hand and to keep the fruit refreshingly chilled! I always like to sprinkle nuts, cinnamon, coconut or raisins on the fruit mix before serving.

Kids love the fancy presentation of something so good for them! No big brainer, just a nice way to serve fruit at the end of the summer harvests!

Total Time: 15 minutes to carve up your fruit

Yield: 10 servings

• Fruits you have available and like
  • Oranges and watermelon for bowl & cups
  • Your favorite topping, nuts, coconut, raisins

1. Use a squeezer or carve out orange meat from however many oranges you want to have for cups (2 cups per orange)
  2. Cut out meat from one half a watermelon, making sure that you cut some straight slabs to use the cookie cutters on. Cut shapes out now.
  3. Cut up fruits, mix together, minus the watermelon that you cut out with the cookie cutter
  4. Add to watermelon shell and top with any topping (nuts, coconut, raisins and/or cinnamon) and add cut out fruit ornamentally on bowl.
  5. Spoon some into the little orange cups and add one cut out shape to each individual bowl.

You COULD even have skewered the cut out shapes and stood them in the big bowl! Just thought of that myself!

Here are three variations on frozen fruit in cups.

Frozen Fruit Cups

Ingredients

Directions

Mix all together and freeze in 5 oz. plastic cups. Can thaw on "defrost" in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Makes 12-18 cups. Delicious and very refreshing.

Frozen Fruit Cups II

Ingredients

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into 12 6-oz. clear plastic bowls or cups. Cover with clear plastic wrap; freeze several hours or overnight. Let stand at room temperature 30-40 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.

Frozen Fruit Cups III

Ingredients

Directions

In a very large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Spoon into foil cups. Freeze until firm. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before serving. Makes 9 1/2 dozen.

By Robin from Washington, IA