Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame

Category Raised Beds
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
A bed frame can make a defined raised garden space, and look cute, too. This guide is about how to make a garden "bed" out of an old bed frame.

This is an old metal bed frame of my sister-in-law's that she was selling at our 3 family garage sale for $3.00. I had always wanted a "flower bed" but decided to make a "salad bed instead". Maybe I should add a dust ruffle. I thought some adjusting would have to be done as had I made the raised bed first, but it fit perfectly. I will store or find an indoor use for the frame to preserve it for many years of future gardens.

By huckleberrycreek from Chewelah, WA

Read 7 Comments

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I saw this when out for a drive in the country. A lady had created this "flower bed". I just had to snap a picture. She has an "open" garden for passersby to wander through and enjoy.

By linn from Canada

Flower bed garden complete with headboard and footboard.

Comment Like this photo? 7
Read 1 Comment

Sorry, no picture, but an old neighbor used an old metal bed frame to make a "flower bed" in her yard. She dug out the dirt a bit and put in an old metal bed. She left the side rails in, and mounded the dirt up in where the mattress usually lays. She planted colorful flowers. The effect of this FLOWER BED was the flowers looked like a quilt on the bed.

It was a cute idea and everyone loved it.

By Janet from Brant Rock, MA

Answers:

Make A Flower "Bed" Out Of An Old Frame

Did she put the frame sides down? (09/03/2008)

By Shellee

Make A Flower "Bed" Out Of An Old Frame

I did this a few years ago with a twin sized wicker headboard. I planted marigolds and impatients to make the "quilt top" was so cute. I didn't mention it to anyone just waited for someone to notice,,was surprised no one did,,then one day a neighbor rented her cottage to an Amish family for the summer. The mother was the first to get it,,said she loved my "bed" of flowers. (09/04/2008)

By msburny