Making A Fleece Blanket

Fleece fabric is a good choice for making a blanket, it is soft, warm, and easy to work with. This is a guide about making a fleece blanket.

January 12, 2015 Flag

I made my husband and I fleece blankets for Christmas a of couple years ago. My daughter really wanted one (and I wanted her to learn to sew) so we picked this as her first sewing project since it's a very simple, forgiving project with a big fuzzy reward :)

• 2 yd 60-inch wide fleece for front
  • 2 yd 60-inch wide fleece for back
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors

The No-Sew fleece sets are a huge savings over buying the fabric separately. The fabric store was selling the sets at 50% off, plus a 15% off purchase coupon, so I was able to get all the fabric for $12.75. Fleece fabric by the yard was running $15/yard, so the kit was a significant savings over buying the 4 yards of fabric separately.

1. Place fabric, pretty sides together, and pin along the edges. I skipped this part when I made mine, but it's a good idea for a first project.
  2. Show your teen how to thread your machine.
  3. Start in the middle of one of the long sides. Sew about 1-inch in from the edge since the fabric will have a rough edge.

I taught my daughter to lock the thread by going forward/back/forward, even though my machine has a lock option. I also showed her that it's actually easier to sew straight if you put the pedal to the metal rather than trying to be super slow and cautious. We also learned how to use the seam ripper!
  4. When you get to the corner, you can either sew all the way to the end of the fabric then start at the end of the short edge to sew straight, or I showed my daughter how to have the machine end with the needle in the down position and pivot the fabric.
  5. Continue all the around the blanket. Stop stitching and lock your thread about 5 inches from your starting point.
  6. Trim off extra fabric from around the edges.
  7. Pull the fabric through the hole so that the pretty sides are now facing out. You can use the eraser side of a pencil to help push out the insides of the corners.
  8. Whip stitch the opening shut. I showed Jenna how to start with the knot on the inside. Try to keep small, even, discrete stitches.
  9. Cuddle with blanket. This is her brother doing what he called a "cuddle bomb".

I love this! The colors are so pretty! When I have a project that needs turning I use my tip from Christopher Lowell who had a decorating show on TV. He used a wooden spoon handle. I bought a tool called "That Purple Thang" but I still go back to my wooden spoon sometimes.

January 21, 2010 Flag

I had, by mistake, just got into making fleece blankets for pets of all kinds. I found out that even cats love the fleece feel. My sister has two dogs and one of them is a retriever. She had bought him expensive bed that looks so comfy and guess what? For Christmas, I made him a nice big blanket and he won't go off it unless he is hungry or has to go out. LOL

I am doing well with these blankets and the best thing is that the pets are very happy. Easy to care for and washable lasts for long time. Then with the scraps of fleece, I just tie them together to make a rope. These puppies LOVE to play tug a war. They too last forever and are washable. So here your pet is one happy dude.

By Jill from Lake View, NY

Your idea is great. Can you tell me the sizes you make and do you double the material. I will be making one for my dog when I get one and know a few friends with dogs.

Sheila

There is a company called Mutt Matts that makes similar products. Just be sure that if you sell these, that you don't infringe on their copyright.

Oh, my doggie also just loves fleece. Once I scammed on to that, away went the expensive beds. He now sleeps in an old soft-sided suitcase that I was going to throw out because the zipper broke which is lined with a fleece blanket and Cookie Bear is in Heaven! Good idea to sell them.

March 7, 2005 Flag

This is a fleece blanket made from 2 different patterns put together (right side out.) 1-1/2 yds each.

Fleece Baby Blanket

December 30, 2009 Flag

I used to be 5 foot 6 inches, but now I am possibly 5 foot 4 inches since I got old and started shrinking. I have always had trouble with the fleece throws you buy at the store. Most are not long enough for me, let alone my tall son or my daughter-in-law.

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about adding a crochet edge to a fleece blanket. If you crochet, you can dress up the edge of a simple to make fleece blanket.

Crochet Edge Around a Fleece Blanket

August 31, 2010 Flag

A group of us ladies are planning to make fleece lap blankets for a local nursing home. We need to know what is a good size for those in a wheelchair. The fleece is 59-60 inches wide and we would like to make as many blankets as possible with as little waste as possible.

By Pam from Seminole, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Baby blanket size is good. It isn't so long that it gets caught in the wheel chair but it covers the legs and knees.

I used to volunteer in a nursing home and the blankets should be as long as the legs are, and wide enough to cover the whole lap, and maybe tuck in on the sides. If they are too short or too narrow, they will not be used. Sit down in a chair and measure yourself from side to side across your widest part, and then measure from your waist to your ankle. Add a couple more inches for good measure.

If you have to cut some fabric off, cut the strips into squares and then mix and match them with other scrap and sew them together to make quilts out of them. Or an easier method would be to sew all the strips together and leave them stripey.

I use 1 and 1/2 yards for each side & it seems to work just right!

November 20, 2013 Flag

This guide is about making fleece tie blankets. You don't even need to know how to sew to make these blankets with just some sharp scissors, the fabric, and lots of tied knots.

fleece tie blanket

November 19, 2011 Flag

I need an easy pattern for fleece lap blankets for the elderly. I would like to make some as Christmas gifts. Could someone help me please? Thanks.

By Martha

Google making lap blankets out of fleece, you will find all kinds of directions.

There are some great tips on the link posted with your question. You can also look here for a great video tutorial on making these no-sew fleece lap robes:

http://homesteadblogger.com/homesteadacres/151093/

Or here: http://sewing.about.com/sitesearch. ... e+lap+robe+blanket&SUName=sewing

September 30, 2010 Flag

I need to make my baby a fleece blanket, but I only have a yard of fleece and then a yard of sheet like material. Will I still be able to make it?

By Kelly from Summersville, WV

If you are talking about the tied fleece blankets, you won't be able to make one like that, but otherwise you can cut the two pieces together, like you would for a quilt. You could use the fleece alone, and just use a narrow hem to finish the edges. You wouldn't even have to finish the edges because fleece doesn't fray, however, a finished edge will give a nicer appearance.

Of course you can make it. Just use the fleece and put a blanket binding on the edges that match.

If you are in the the coldest parts of the country, you can put the sheet material on the back, use your sewing machine to stitch across it a few times to keep them even and together, and then put the blanket binding on.

September 28, 2011 Flag

I need directions for making a fleece lap blanket for a nursing home patient. I saw a blog about it and was instructed to contact ThriftyFun for directions. Thanks!

By Kathy

I am not that good at giving specific directions, but my sis-in-law makes them. She uses 2 different colors of fleece, cut the same size. Then she pins them together, and makes cuts into the edges about 2-3 inches deep, and about an inch apart, making what looks like a chunky fringe.

Then you just tie the fringes of each piece together, like tying your shoes. That way the 2 pieces of fleece are attached, without any sewing. She uses colors appropriate to a person or season, such as one piece camo, and one piece hunter orange or green, to give to the hunters or men in the family. They are wonderfully warm, she has given us 4 over the past 5 years, and I love them, as I have a problem with my legs getting cold, no matter the weather!

Best of luck to you with this project.

You can even make smaller pet blankets using the same procedure.

December 3, 2005 Flag

I am looking for a fleece blanket pattern. The blanket has a hood in the middle of the blanket on the side. I have found the same idea for camping but it is plastic and has no pattern. I have seen this idea for people who camp a lot or live in cold weather - you can use it as a throw or wrap yourself up in it with a hood for your head. I hope this description is sufficient enough. t

Thank you,
Carrell from Vacaville, California

Hi,

if you sew even a little bit this is an easy item to make.

Just take a fleece blanket or buy fleece about 54inches wide fold in half to find center.Mark with a chalk mark or a pin.

Cut (2) of a matching or contrasting color of fleece in a generous size D shape.Cut bottom of D straight across .This will be the hood. Sew the back seam (rounded part of D shape.Fold over about 1/4 to **1/2 inch on face edge of hood** and stitch in place. Press open the lower edge of back seam on hood & with right sides together,sew hood seam to center of blanket. you are done!

**If you want to you can put a cord through space seam in front has left so you can tie your hood.**

If you want send me a message and I can make one for you,if need be.

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousJune 4, 2013
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
🎄