Browsing: Making A Fleece Blanket

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making A Fleece Blanket

Fleece fabric is a good choice for making a blanket, it is soft, warm, and easy to work with. This is a guide about making a fleece blanket.

Three Fleece Blankets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 12, 2015 Flag

I made my husband and I fleece blankets for Christmas a of couple years ago. My daughter really wanted one (and I wanted her to learn to sew) so we picked this as her first sewing project since it's a very simple, forgiving project with a big fuzzy reward :)

First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket

• 2 yd 60-inch wide fleece for front
  • 2 yd 60-inch wide fleece for back
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket

The No-Sew fleece sets are a huge savings over buying the fabric separately. The fabric store was selling the sets at 50% off, plus a 15% off purchase coupon, so I was able to get all the fabric for $12.75. Fleece fabric by the yard was running $15/yard, so the kit was a significant savings over buying the 4 yards of fabric separately.

1. Place fabric, pretty sides together, and pin along the edges. I skipped this part when I made mine, but it's a good idea for a first project.
  2. First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket
  3. Show your teen how to thread your machine.
  4. Start in the middle of one of the long sides. Sew about 1-inch in from the edge since the fabric will have a rough edge.

I taught my daughter to lock the thread by going forward/back/forward, even though my machine has a lock option. I also showed her that it's actually easier to sew straight if you put the pedal to the metal rather than trying to be super slow and cautious. We also learned how to use the seam ripper!
  5. First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket
  6. When you get to the corner, you can either sew all the way to the end of the fabric then start at the end of the short edge to sew straight, or I showed my daughter how to have the machine end with the needle in the down position and pivot the fabric.
  7. Continue all the around the blanket. Stop stitching and lock your thread about 5 inches from your starting point.
  8. Trim off extra fabric from around the edges.
  9. First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket
  10. Pull the fabric through the hole so that the pretty sides are now facing out. You can use the eraser side of a pencil to help push out the insides of the corners.
  11. First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket
  12. Whip stitch the opening shut. I showed Jenna how to start with the knot on the inside. Try to keep small, even, discrete stitches.
  13. First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket
  14. Cuddle with blanket. This is her brother doing what he called a "cuddle bomb".
  15. First Sewing Project: Fleece Blanket

January 21, 2010 Flag

I had, by mistake, just got into making fleece blankets for pets of all kinds. I found out that even cats love the fleece feel. My sister has two dogs and one of them is a retriever. She had bought him expensive bed that looks so comfy and guess what? For Christmas, I made him a nice big blanket and he won't go off it unless he is hungry or has to go out. LOL

I am doing well with these blankets and the best thing is that the pets are very happy. Easy to care for and washable lasts for long time. Then with the scraps of fleece, I just tie them together to make a rope. These puppies LOVE to play tug a war. They too last forever and are washable. So here your pet is one happy dude.

By Jill from Lake View, NY

March 7, 2005 Flag

Fleece Baby BlanketThis is a fleece blanket made from 2 different patterns put together (right side out.) 1-1/2 yds each.

Cut all around edges 4-5 inches deep, 1-2 inches wide.

Tie together (I double tied this one)

By Alma

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about adding a crochet edge to a fleece blanket. If you crochet, you can dress up the edge of a simple to make fleece blanket.

Crochet Edge Around a Fleece Blanket

December 30, 2009 Flag

I used to be 5 foot 6 inches, but now I am possibly 5 foot 4 inches since I got old and started shrinking. I have always had trouble with the fleece throws you buy at the store. Most are not long enough for me, let alone my 6 foot 4 inch son or my 5 foot 11 inch daughter-in-law.

I stewed and fussed about this for a long time and finally got some fleece fabric in 2 1/2 yard pieces and made throws for the whole family. Since fleece doesn't ravel or fray like woven fabrics a hem wasn't necessary. I just straight stitched around all 4 edges to keep the shape of the fabric stable. If you want to you can spend all that extra money on blanket binding but that really isn't necessary.

The very best part is they love them! DH brings up what a good idea that was every time he sprawls out on the couch. I found my fabric on sale and I already had miles of thread so it didn't cost a great deal to bring all this pleasure.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

August 31, 2010 Flag

A group of us ladies are planning to make fleece lap blankets for a local nursing home. We need to know what is a good size for those in a wheelchair. The fleece is 59-60 inches wide and we would like to make as many blankets as possible with as little waste as possible.

By Pam from Seminole, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to volunteer in a nursing home and the blankets should be as long as the legs are, and wide enough to cover the whole lap, and maybe tuck in on the sides. If they are too short or too narrow, they will not be used. Sit down in a chair and measure yourself from side to side across your widest part, and then measure from your waist to your ankle. Add a couple more inches for good measure.

If you have to cut some fabric off, cut the strips into squares and then mix and match them with other scrap and sew them together to make quilts out of them. Or an easier method would be to sew all the strips together and leave them stripey.

I use 1 and 1/2 yards for each side & it seems to work just right!

Annacakes reply is good. I have a male family member in a rehab / nursing home facility and lap blankets are great. Be sure that there are some for the men, and be sure you have some for the larger patients. If you are making for one facility, you might consider asking the activities director if they have any plus-size adults.

Read More Answers...

November 19, 2011 Flag

I need an easy pattern for fleece lap blankets for the elderly. I would like to make some as Christmas gifts. Could someone help me please? Thanks.

By Martha

Google making lap blankets out of fleece, you will find all kinds of directions.

There are some great tips on the link posted with your question. You can also look here for a great video tutorial on making these no-sew fleece lap robes:

http://homesteadblogger.com/homesteadacres/151093/

Or here: http://sewing.about.com/sitesearch. ... e+lap+robe+blanket&SUName=sewing

September 30, 2010 Flag

I need to make my baby a fleece blanket, but I only have a yard of fleece and then a yard of sheet like material. Will I still be able to make it?

By Kelly from Summersville, WV

If you are talking about the tied fleece blankets, you won't be able to make one like that, but otherwise you can cut the two pieces together, like you would for a quilt. You could use the fleece alone, and just use a narrow hem to finish the edges. You wouldn't even have to finish the edges because fleece doesn't fray, however, a finished edge will give a nicer appearance.

Of course you can make it. Just use the fleece and put a blanket binding on the edges that match.

If you are in the the coldest parts of the country, you can put the sheet material on the back, use your sewing machine to stitch across it a few times to keep them even and together, and then put the blanket binding on.

September 28, 2011 Flag

I need directions for making a fleece lap blanket for a nursing home patient. I saw a blog about it and was instructed to contact ThriftyFun for directions. Thanks!

By Kathy

I am not that good at giving specific directions, but my sis-in-law makes them. She uses 2 different colors of fleece, cut the same size. Then she pins them together, and makes cuts into the edges about 2-3 inches deep, and about an inch apart, making what looks like a chunky fringe.

Then you just tie the fringes of each piece together, like tying your shoes. That way the 2 pieces of fleece are attached, without any sewing. She uses colors appropriate to a person or season, such as one piece camo, and one piece hunter orange or green, to give to the hunters or men in the family. They are wonderfully warm, she has given us 4 over the past 5 years, and I love them, as I have a problem with my legs getting cold, no matter the weather!

Best of luck to you with this project.

You can even make smaller pet blankets using the same procedure.

November 20, 2013 Flag

This guide is about making fleece tie blankets. You don't even need to know how to sew to make these blankets with just some sharp scissors, the fabric, and lots of tied knots.

fleece tie blanket

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousJune 4, 2013
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 2:07:36 AM on 10.0.2.120 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.