Making Bean Soup with Bacon

I am wondering if 4 cups of water is correct for bean soup with bacon. When I make soup using 1 lb. of beans I use 3 qts of water. Please advise.

By Doris from Parma, OH

To tell you the truth I don't think it matters. Do you like your soup thicker or thinner? It's a matter of personal taste.

You have a proportion of water to dried beans that you use for bean soup; why would it be different for bean soup with bacon? The bacon itself would not affect the amount of water you use. Is there something special about this dish, is it thicker or thinner than your regular bean soup? Does it have other ingredients that would make it thicker or thinner?

I think it will depend on the beans you are using more than anything. If they are already cooked, then maybe 2-3 cups of of beans will be OK with or without bacon and 4 cups of water. That would make a good thick soup.

If you are cooking a pound of dried beans from scratch, you'll need those 3 quarts of water as the beans will soak up a lot of it, and some will evaporate in the cooking process.

I would have to see the entire recipe before giving you a better answer.

Good Luck anyway. Try looking up the recipe for Senate Bean Soup and use that recipe as a good guide. It's one of the best. Supposedly, it's served every day the Senate is in session in the USA.

Pookarina is right re Senate Bean Soup. That is the recipe I always make. When I saw this one I thought I might try to make it. But it appears something or a step is missing as I know from experience that 4 cups of water is not sufficient for 1 lb. beans even if it would be a very thick soup. Thanks anyway.

Doris, I think you are referring to my Bean with Bacon soup recipe that I posted in the Recipe Newsletter recently. As the beans have already been soaked before cooking, the 4 cups makes a nice brothy soup. Of course, you can always add more or less.

Bean Soup
Bean Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupJune 1, 2011
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
Saving on Bacon
Saving Money on Bacon