Making Decorative Bows

Handmade bows can be used in many craft projects, such as wreaths or as decoration on clothing. This is a guide about making decorative bows.

It is almost that time of year we seem to make or attempt to make bows for Christmas. My tip is that you can get a much tighter bow and a prettier bow if, when finishing, you twist the whole bow instead of the wire. I don't know why the bow teachers didn't use this method for finishing bows. Doing it this way is also easier on your hands.

Are talking only about the bows made from ribbon that has wire in it? If so, do you have any suggestions for bows without the wire?

finished clip on bow

This is a guide about making a fabric bow. Fabric bows are easy to make and can be used as decorations, glued onto hair clips, and more.

I was tying one of my daughter's scarves in a pretty bow and decided I was going to use these scarves as bows this Christmas instead of regular bows. That way, the "bow" won't be thrown away afterward and actually will get some use. They make such pretty bows!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Wire-Edged Ribbon Bow

Fashioning your own accessories or package adornments can be fun with this stiffened ribbon. This is a guide about making a wire-edged ribbon bow.

When finishing making a bow, twist the bow instead of the wire. Doing it this way makes a much tighter bow and is easier on your fingers.

By ashleybunkin from WV

You can download instruction from this site at no cost: http://www.ezcr  _instruction.pdf

By Arshad F.

Making a Felt Bow

Felt is an easy material to use in bow making. This is a guide shows you how to make a felt bow.

When making bows of any type or size, you will get a much tighter bow if you wrap the wire around the bow as usual, but twist the bow instead of twisting the wire.

Making Gift Bows

This guide is about making bows for gifts. Making your bows is a fun craft and allows you to add your personal touch to gift wrapping.

Christmas bows made from magazines.

This is a guide about making bows from magazines. The covers and pages of magazines can be recycled into colorful gift bows.

I have two tips that go together. The first one is when making bows, save those plastic covered wires that are on the back of all kids toys that holds the toys in the box.

I remember reading an article on how to tie a perfect bow. I am 90% certain I found it here on Thrifty Fun, but can't for the life of me find it. Does anyone have the link to the page? My bows are messy and sometimes turn sideways.

Thankyou - yes I have done all that, but I remember this one being particularly precise and clear

How do I make a bows for a dress out of a yard of fabric? I can't find a pattern.

By pilotowife from Spokane, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Use a shoe string for a pattern. Just make them as wide as you want them then tie them as you do the shoe string on the shoe, good luck.

What kind of bows do you want to make? When I was in middle school back in the early fifties, I made a lot of my clothes, and just having an old treadle sewing machine and nobody close by that knew anything about sewing, when I needed a belt for a dress, I made a really long reversible strip of fabric about 6+ inches wide and wrapped it around my waist, tying it in a really large bow in the back.

One that I can remember (it must have been my favorite at the time) was a black and white cotton print (really cheap) with a really full gathered skirt and the sash was black with a red inside. Nobody else in school had outfits like mine and I didn't get teased about them either, so they must have been acceptable. My mother didn't know how to sew other than mending.

Everyone knows how to tie shoes. Bowmaking is basically the same - the secret is when working with ribbon with every loop you TWIST THE RIBBON so that it makes it THINNER in the middle to work with. To begin, leave the end for the TAIL the length you desire. Make a Loop (as big as you want it) and TWIST- make a loop on the other side TWIST - Keep following this method until you have as many loops as you want (5-6 on each side makes a nice wreath or Pew bow)

After finished wrap thin wire in the middle and twist so that it really tight around the loops. Don't forget to leave enough for your 2nd TAIL! Now that it is assembled PULL and SHAPE your loops into a bow. It takes 3-4 yards of ribbon per each Pew or Wreath bow.

When making bows for corsages 2 yards will be more than enough as you will want only 3-4 loops to each side. For bouquets 3-4 loops will be sufficient. REMEMBER: if the ribbon is twisted good and thin and wired TIGHTLY, you can work with it all you want until you get the desired results. MAKE YOUR OWN! Practice makes perfect!

By Sharon, KY

Answers:

Making Your Own Bows

I make my own bows in the same manner for Christmas. What I do is save all those little plastic coated wires you receive with lots of stuff. You know the ones that holds what you purchased in the packaging. Toys are always filled with them. Between saving them up and buying ribbon on sale through out the year Pretty ribbons aren't costly anymore. (05/17/2005)

By Donna