Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making New Year Resolutions

Making and keeping New Year's resolutions is an annual ritual for many of us. This is a guide about making New Year resolutions.

January 6, 2011 Flag

A suggestion was broached here at ThriftyFun regarding sharing our personal New Years resolutions. My New Years resolution is to pray and practice daily (365), even on a bad day, to work harder to do the best humanly possible to think and act kindly and thoughtfully in every single little aspect of life towards all others in every single situation. We are each definitely just a little tiny drop in the bucket but each of our bucket drops will help make this world a much better place to be!

And I truly believe that if 'we all' would just take a deep breath and 'walk a mile' in other human beings, animal beings and our earths environmental shoes with a smile and thankful collective prayers that we could make a huge difference! This includes how you talk to and treat strangers or your children or spouse or your checker at your local market and even when in a hurry trying to get to or from somewhere/anywhere in your car!

We are all connected and each of us can make a positive difference in even the tiniest actions that we make! I do try really hard already but even more prayer and thoughtfulness is my resolution and I pray this is food for thought for you to practice this as your New Years Resolution too :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

amen

January 21, 2011 Flag

New Year resolutions are not something I ever make, I regret them all year long after I break them. This year we weren't given a choice but to make resolutions. We had an unwelcome early Christmas surprise. My husband Bob, had to have open heart surgery on Dec. 22. To us the most important thing about Christmas is being together with family, and our sons were with us. Our gift was Bob getting a new chance at life. The term "life changing experience" really took on deeper meaning to our family all of a sudden. The little everyday irritations of life were forgotten in a "heart beat" and the bigger obstacles are now simply accepted without a second thought.

Beside the physical changes, I have to learn a new way of cooking. No more spur of the moment "Oh, let's fry a steak and fries". That is out! No more drowning popcorn in hot butter and extra salt. You see the problem only starts there; for all of our 43 years of married life we have had our own well marbled beef. We spent many of those years working on the ranch, which meant chicken fried in lard for Sunday dinner and the flakiest crusts for pies made from lard for dessert, which we had with every meal. But you get the idea that was a way of life, our way of life.

We now share one pork chop, cook fresh vegetables from our garden, and eat a little more salad instead. We share a piece of fruit mid morning and mid afternoon. Bob has never been a fruit eater so this in itself has been a big change for him.

So when we got Bob home, I went through our pantry and freezer making a note of what legal foods we had and what we would need. Bob had checkups with two different doctors in two weeks so I needed to get all we would need at that time including his prescription refills. We can't be making any unnecessary trips with the bills we will be facing. Nothing that isn't absolutely necessary. So, now I plan our meals farther ahead and am trying to use up what we have in stock more than I bothered with before. We knew Bob's blood pressure was a little high, so I had purchased No Salt to use on his food a couple of months ago. If you haven't been one to read labels, believe me it will shock you at the amount of sodium or salt they put in foods. Quite a few foods such as tuna have low sodium versions if you look.

I suggest everyone resolve to cut back before you find yourself in the same position we are. You don't want to spend Christmas in a hospital wondering if it will be your last with your loved one.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for sharing your story Ann. I worry so much about my husband, there is no way I will ever change his eating habits. I am a very healthy eater, by choice, and I know what my cooking is doing to him. There just isn't anyway I can do anything about it.

I agree, watch Dr.Oz. I tape his show everyday. He is a wealth of information. I recently lost the 20 excess pounds I have had for over 5 years and in doing so I learned so much about food, diet eating and label reading. Here's a kicker for you, low fat or fat free foods are usually worse for you than full fat, due to all the *stuff* they have to add to make it taste better after taking out the fat. In moderation the *real* thing is usually better.

I also switched to coconut oil, milk and flour, as well as almond oil, butter, milk,and flour. I really enjoyed Dr. Oz's show on the benny's of coconut oil. Good luck to you on your new journey of healthy eating.

January 5, 2016 Flag

Alternative to New Year's Resolutions

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just read an interesting thought on New Year's resolutions. Instead of choosing one challenge that you may not be able to actually do for the year, why not choose a theme that you try to live by in your everyday challenges in the year instead?

January 4, 2010 Flag

I've lived by giving, and receive from others who do the same, so many blessings and moments of joy and it's by and because of these words of wisdom over and over in a lifetime!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 2, 2014 Flag

10 Unique New Year's Resolutions

Resolutions don't need to be painful promises we won't really keep! This year, I've got a few new ideas to add to the mix. Feel free to personalize to your interests.

January 19, 2015 Flag

Set Goals not Resolutions for New Year

Every New Year begins the same. We make resolutions that for some get lost by the beginning of the second month. I decided not to make any resolutions. I am one of those people who look up and see December 31 staring them in the face for another attempt at the next years timeline.

May 18, 2007 Flag

My name is Misti and I'm 27 years old. I live with my husband and 7 year old son. I started living a frugal life after I realized one day that I've been working for 10 years and I only have $200 in savings to show for it. I mean come on, shouldn't a 27 year old have more to show for all the work I've done? So I started 2007 off with a bang. My New Year's resolution was to cut expenses as much as possible and save, save, save.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 27, 2011 Flag

New Years Resolutions

Not all of my 2012 new year's resolutions focus on money. There are a few others like going to the gym regularly and calling my grandmother more often. But the money saving resolutions are the one I'm looking forward to the most.

January 20, 2012 Flag

Stack of coupons arranged on table

I am already on the hunt to save even more in 2012. What I started in 2011 will continue this year. I got up early today and went to the get the Sunday papers. I always buy two papers to maximize my savings by using coupons.

January 6, 2012 Flag

My tip for keeping my resolutions is to keep them realistic. Like losing weight, the resolution is to slowly and healthily lose some weight.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 31, 2011 Flag

Everyone knows the situation. At the beginning of each year, we make resolutions that may rapidly become obsolete or slowly wane as days and months pass.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 23, 2005 Flag

My New Year's Resolution Tip is to wait until March or April to start working on my resolution. If your resolution is to lose weight the dark, cold days of winter can be very discouraging.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful
January 5, 2007 Flag

It's a new year and resolutions abound. Why not try some simple resolutions that will affect our spending and saving?

January 9, 2006 Flag

Resolutions for a Green New Year

Another year has come and gone and once again we are given the opportunity to wipe the slate clean and have a chance to adopt healthy new habits and new ways of being.

January 2, 2007 Flag

Today's poll asks: Are you making any new year's resolutions for your personal finances?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2005 Flag

Start the New Year off by making a list of things you want to accomplish in your home this year: declutter, donate, paint, organize, shampoo carpets, clean drapes, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Self ImprovementOctober 12, 2012
Traditional Greek sweet yeast bread
Recipes for Celebrating the New Year
Happy New Year Sign
Celebrating New Year's Eve
gardening boots
Gardening Resolutions for the New Year
Woman Working Out
Monthly Resolutions
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 8:28:41 PM on 10.0.2.159 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.