Making a Door Draft Stopper

Older homes often have air leaks under doors and windows. One way to deal with this rather then replace the door is to use a draft stopper. This is a guide about making a door draft stopper.

March 16, 2010 Flag

I made two draft stoppers from a clean pair of my husband's old worn out jeans by cutting off both legs. I stuffed them full of white rice. I also made two sleeves so they could be thrown into the washer, when they got dirty.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is great and I love your idea about making detachable covers for them! Oh, and I love your apron post, too, but giving you the thumbs up for this one :-)

I use the stuffing from an old pillow.

Read More Comments...

February 6, 2007 Flag
Susan from ThriftyFun1 found this helpful

With all the frigid weather in the northern parts of the U.S. I thought I'd better get this one online.

I got tired of my draft guard not staying where it belonged, next to the bottom of the door keeping the cold air out. It was either being moved by my cats or being pushed out of the way when I opened the door to leave. It would remain away from the door until it was noticed or I came back home.

I needed something that weighed enough to stay put but also would allow me to open and close with the door. Here's how I solved the problem.

Materials:

Directions:

Double the polar fleece and wrap it over the window shade. You can leave the plastic on it or tape it closed if you use an old one. A 2 inch dowel (36 inches long or a 2" x 2" x 36" piece of wood would also work.)

Put the material around the shade and mark or pin it where you would sew your seam.

The velcro is a little tricky. You will want to glue the velcro onto the door, or you could staple or tack it. Put it up an inch from the bottom.

Put the other side of the velcro on the polar fleece. On mine I had the seam on top and pinned the velcro on one side of the fleece near where the seam would be.

Make sure that the two sides of the velcro will stick to each other when you put the draft guard next to the door.

When you are sure it will work, stitch the velcro on, sew the long seam, either by hand or by machine. Insert the window shade and sew up the ends.

Stick it to the door by matching up the velcro on the door and the velcro on the guard.

I hope I've explained this well enough. We made it last year and other than the cats occasionally pulling it away from the door or someone kicking it so it comes off the velcro, it has worked very well.

Susan from ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use the plug in safety "caps" to prevent children from sticking anything into electrical outlets.

Use the safety plugs to prevent children from sticking things into electrical outlets.

Read More Comments...

September 30, 2004 Flag

We all have socks with mates that have disappeared in the big black hole where all socks go. Most people know that these unmatched socks make great dusters and cleaning rags but how about filling one tube sock with clean kitty litter and using it as a Draft stopper at the bottom of your door?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2009 Flag

Go to hardware store and buy 1/2 inch pipe insulator. It should be less than a dollar for 6 feet of foam insulator. Buy one for each door your going to do. Measure width of door and cut foam 1/2 inch less than that measurement.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2008 Flag

Instead of spending money on cute little draft stoppers to place at the bottom of your doors, make your own. You can roll up a scatter rug for each door, and secure it with string or yarn. I have a collection of "rag" rugs that I use for this purpose. They are perfect, and easy to roll. When the draft stoppers are no longer needed, I cut the strings, wash the rugs, and save them for next year.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 31, 2006 Flag

If this winter, you need to stop cold air from entering under your door, simply stick paper tape to the bottom edge of the door. Not under the door but simply on the inside edge of the door. . .

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2012 Flag

If you have doors or windows in your home that let in the cold winter air, here is a very simple draft stopper idea that I use. I purchased 1 yard of fleece fabric from the "bargain" table. This 36 inch length should work at any exterior door.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2008 Flag

Slow down the cold drafts coming in through your doors with this easy craft.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

With cold coming and many of us looking forward to expensive heating bills, it's time to winterize!

We have a sliding door that can let in a draft, so I took some fabric I received for free from a neighbor and cut it to fit the threshold (allowing an extra inch for the seam).

Next, I sewed up the long side and turned it inside out. Using an old, thick blanket, I rolled it up and placed it in the door pillow. I then turned the two small ends in and sewed them up. Presto! The vertical blinds easily disguise the door pillow.

By Ci Ci from Yakima, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ci Ci, thanks for the great idea. Our doors really leak alot of cold air, I have been using an old blanket that i tied up with small bungee cords at both ends, Not a pretty site!! I like your blanket sleeve idea, i will probably make a fall one now, and a Christmas one as I can't hide mine behind vertical blinds so why not make it colorful! it has to sit in front of the entry door. Thanks so much for the idea. Blessings, Natalie, SK, Canada

December 3, 2014 Flag

How can you make an effective door draft stopper for the sliding patio door?

By Joyce M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have a problem with air coming in where the two doors join in the middle on our sliding glass door. I made a draft stopper using a hot water pipe insulation tube. I cut it to fit the length of the door track. It's round and stays in the track with no problem. I cut a smaller piece to fit where the door stop is. On that piece I cut the bottom so it will sit flat on the door stop. This stopped all of the draft of cold air coming in from that door.

If it was me, I'd try weatherstripping the whole thing really well with foam tape, then getting insulated curtains.

January 14, 2011 Flag

I want to make a door draft stopper. Any ideas? Thank you.

By Barbara from Union Mills, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take a 4-5" wide strip of strong fabric and measure it about 3" longer than the width of the door. Sew the end shut and then down the length, double seamed. Fill with play sand, cat litter or something non-food, till about 4" from the end. Secure end and sew, by hand if you have to (the tube is kind of heavy by then). Lay it down in front of the door, molding the sand around the drafty bottom. When you don't need it, pick it up in the middle and the slack in sand will let you hang it over the knob.

Problem Solved!

Hope that helps.

PBP

Don't want to intrude to posts already here however I have found using sand eventually will flatten. Using cat litter is dusty. I have crocheted several of these and have used beans such as pinto beans. They are inexpensive and don't create dust nor flatten. They are heavy enough to stay put but light enough to move when needed. If you do not crochet, but sew, the dollar stores have inexpensive towels. Just sew those together and fill with beans. Let us know what you have tried and how it has worked out for you!

I made my door draft stopper out of foam pipe insulating, it comes in sticks and is fairly cheap.

I made mine to look like the ones they advertise on t.v. Just make a long rectngle the size to fit your door(I used a leg from an old pair of jeans) then sew straight down the middle to form two long "pockets" then cut your foam to fit your door,slide foam into pockets and slide onto bottom of door. It stays put when you open & close the door.

December 6, 2010 Flag

I saw somewhere that you can use pipe covers to make a draft snake. Something to put between the doors to cut down on drafts. Does anyone know how to make one? Thank you.

By Margie from Lake Orion, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pipe covers come with a slit on one side. Just open the slit, 'cover' the bottom of the door with the pipe cover; close the door and the pipe cover will stop any air from coming in or leaving.

December 23, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have directions for how to make those door draft stoppers? Our "new" home is actually 35 years old and the wind seems to howl right through the house! Thanks for any help!
Iris

Answers:

How to Make Draft Stoppers

Cut off a leg of a worn-out pair of men's jeans. Sew one end of the leg shut. Stuff it with towels and rags. Sew the other end shut (or use snaps/Velcro if you want it to be washable). (11/26/2005)

By M

How to Make Draft Stoppers

I used to make a long tube out of old blue jean legs and then fill with sand. (11/29/2005)

By Linda

How to Make Draft Stoppers

In an emergency. roll up towels and place on window sills. Have had 3 on window sill during the cold spell we had, it helped a lot. (11/30/2005)

By Annette from Maine

How to Make Draft Stoppers

My mom made these from a rug (preferably one that matches the room)
by stitching the rug around several layers of newspapers that she placed evenly - so that when she rolled it - it was about the size of a softball in circumference - & stitch a loop on one end to hang it beside the door on a cup hook so it's out of the way when you need it less

Just cut whatever cloth you want to use a couple inches longer (or so) at each end.
lay it down & start layering the newspapers
then roll it & secure it while you stitch by hand or sew the tube first on the machine - then slide the rolled papers in --secure them with tape or rubber band or something so they stay rolled until you have it ready

but I like that the "jean leg" full of sand seems easier :)
(12/01/2005)

By melody_yesterday

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use pool noodles. Cut any piece of fabric length of the door, cover with old towel or apiece of fabric. Sew in place or secure with rubber bands.

November 6, 2009 Flag

I would like to know if anyone knows how to make a draft stopper that you can lay at the bottom of a drafty door. I have seen them out in some little craft shops, but I'm not sure what they are filled with. Thanks in advance.

Barb from Mountaindale, NY

Answers:

How to Make Draft Stoppers

I use a towel, I do a "ogroll" with the towel and secure it with rubber bands or tie ribbon along the roll. So if it gets dirty, just unroll and put in the washer. Easy to make without sewing.(12/23/2008)

By dixie35481

How to Make Draft Stoppers

For interior doors such as the mud room to the house use a 1 and 1/2 inch insulation tube. you can get the insulation tube from the hardware store. Measure the door. Cut the tube. Slide the tube under the door. You now have a twin draft stopper! (01/01/2009)

By Elizabeth

How to Make Draft Stoppers

I made mine with scrap fake fur and filled it with cat litter. (01/05/2009)

By Lily May

How to Make Draft Stoppers

Cat litter, rice, beans, foam. I think I'd use the cat litter since it'd be cheaper than the rice or beans. I got the foam Idea from one I saw on TV where there were two tubes of fabric connected by a section of fabric.. the into the tubes were inserted foam dowels (for lack of a better term) this could all be trimmed to fit. Then you slip it under the door, one tube on either side and shut the door. It's nice.
(01/05/2009)

By Shosha

How to Make Draft Stoppers

You can also fill with sand. (01/06/2009)

By mulberry204

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement WeatherizingFebruary 23, 2013
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
pen to paper titles "Last Will...."
Writing a Will Without a Lawyer
Bathtub full of water.
Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
🎉
🎄