Making a Door Draft Stopper

Older homes often have air leaks under doors and windows. One way to deal with this rather then replace the door is to use a draft stopper. This is a guide about making a door draft stopper.

Door Draft Stopper
Filter Sort

Tip: Polar Fleece Draft Guard for Your Door

Susan from ThriftyFun

Fleece Draft GuardWith all the frigid weather in the northern parts of the U.S. I thought I'd better get this one online.

I got tired of my draft guard not staying where it belonged, next to the bottom of the door keeping the cold air out. It was either being moved by my cats or being pushed out of the way when I opened the door to leave. It would remain away from the door until it was noticed or I came back home.

I needed something that weighed enough to stay put but also would allow me to open and close with the door. Here's how I solved the problem.

Materials:

• Polar Fleece (I bought remnants - you will need a piece about 1 foot long and the width of your door)
  • Window shade (36 inches or as long as your door is wide)
  • Sewable Velcro strips

Directions:

Double the polar fleece and wrap it over the window shade. You can leave the plastic on it or tape it closed if you use an old one. A 2 inch dowel (36 inches long or a 2" x 2" x 36" piece of wood would also work.)

Put the material around the shade and mark or pin it where you would sew your seam.

The velcro is a little tricky. You will want to glue the velcro onto the door, or you could staple or tack it. Put it up an inch from the bottom.

Put the other side of the velcro on the polar fleece. On mine I had the seam on top and pinned the velcro on one side of the fleece near where the seam would be.

Make sure that the two sides of the velcro will stick to each other when you put the draft guard next to the door.

When you are sure it will work, stitch the velcro on, sew the long seam, either by hand or by machine. Insert the window shade and sew up the ends.

Fleece Draft Guard

Stick it to the door by matching up the velcro on the door and the velcro on the guard.

I hope I've explained this well enough. We made it last year and other than the cats occasionally pulling it away from the door or someone kicking it so it comes off the velcro, it has worked very well.

Fleece Draft Guard

Susan from ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Door Pillow

By Carrie Snider 16

Door pillow for drafts.Slow down the cold drafts coming in through your doors with this easy craft.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• Fabric
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine
  • Old blanket or other filling

Instructions:

With cold coming and many of us looking forward to expensive heating bills, it's time to winterize!

We have a sliding door that can let in a draft, so I took some fabric I received for free from a neighbor and cut it to fit the threshold (allowing an extra inch for the seam).

Next, I sewed up the long side and turned it inside out. Using an old, thick blanket, I rolled it up and placed it in the door pillow. I then turned the two small ends in and sewed them up. Presto! The vertical blinds easily disguise the door pillow.

By Ci Ci from Yakima, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Craft: Jean Draft Stoppers

By mcw 80 1,752

Jean Draft StoppersI made two draft stoppers from a clean pair of my husband's old worn out jeans by cutting off both legs. I stuffed them full of white rice. I also made two sleeves so they could be thrown into the washer, when they got dirty.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Draft Stoppers With Stray Socks

We all have socks with mates that have disappeared in the big black hole where all socks go. Most people know that these unmatched socks make great dusters and cleaning rags but how about filling one tube sock with clean kitty litter and using it as a Draft stopper at the bottom of your door? One bag of cheap kitty litter costs about 3.00 bucks and can make many of these. These also can be used to block drafts on window sills in older homes as well.

By Debra in Colorado

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making a Wind Stopper for the Winter

By Joseph Raglione 29 36

Hello from Canada!

If this winter, you need to stop cold air from entering under your door, simply stick paper tape to the bottom edge of the door. Not under the door but simply on the inside edge of the door. Close the door and use clear industrial silicone to fill the crack between the door and the floor. Put more silicone on the floor than on the door. Use a wet rag to make a nice long door stop and when it dries, open the door. The paper tape should pull away from the door and you will have to remove it from the silicone; but now you have a wind stopper for the winter.

By Joseph Raglione from Laval West, Quebec,Canada

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Fleece Door Draft Stopper

By Lori 2 6

If you have doors or windows in your home that let in the cold winter air, here is a very simple draft stopper idea that I use. I purchased 1 yard of fleece fabric from the "bargain" table. This 36 inch length should work at any exterior door.

Leaving the fabric folded, roll it up and secure it in the middle and at each end, using ribbon, yarn, etc. Place it on the floor in front of your door. That's it! You can use complimentary colors to match your decor, too.

By Lori from Maryville, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Door Draft Stopper

By barbara 1

I want to make a door draft stopper. Any ideas? Thank you.

By Barbara from Union Mills, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tammy carroll 4 3 Flag

I made my door draft stopper out of foam pipe insulating, it comes in sticks and is fairly cheap.

I made mine to look like the ones they advertise on t.v. Just make a long rectngle the size to fit your door(I used a leg from an old pair of jeans) then sew straight down the middle to form two long "pockets" then cut your foam to fit your door,slide foam into pockets and slide onto bottom of door. It stays put when you open & close the door.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rag Rugs for Draft Stoppers

By marie cecchini 204 2

Instead of spending money on cute little draft stoppers to place at the bottom of your doors, make your own. You can roll up a scatter rug for each door, and secure it with string or yarn. I have a collection of "rag" rugs that I use for this purpose. They are perfect, and easy to roll. When the draft stoppers are no longer needed, I cut the strings, wash the rugs, and save them for next year.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making Patio Door Draft Stoppers

How can you make an effective door draft stopper for the sliding patio door?

By Joyce M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

If it was me, I'd try weatherstripping the whole thing really well with foam tape, then getting insulated curtains.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Pipe Covers as a Draft Stopper

By Margie 1

I saw somewhere that you can use pipe covers to make a draft snake. Something to put between the doors to cut down on drafts. Does anyone know how to make one? Thank you.

By Margie from Lake Orion, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Veronica Hash 2 Flag

Pipe covers come with a slit on one side. Just open the slit, 'cover' the bottom of the door with the pipe cover; close the door and the pipe cover will stop any air from coming in or leaving.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Home Improvement WeatherizingFebruary 23, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
pen to paper titles "Last Will...."
Writing a Will Without a Lawyer
Bathtub full of water.
Makeshift Bathtub and Sink Stopper Ideas
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:40:03 AM on 10.0.2.114 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings