Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Door Draft Stopper

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Door Draft Stopper

Older homes often have air leaks under doors and windows. One way to deal with this rather then replace the door is to use a draft stopper. This is a guide about making a door draft stopper.

Solutions: Making a Door Draft Stopper

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Craft: Jean Draft Stoppers

Jean Draft StoppersI made two draft stoppers from a clean pair of my husband's old worn out jeans by cutting off both legs. I stuffed them full of white rice. I also made two sleeves so they could be thrown into the washer, when they got dirty.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Tip: Fleece Door Draft Stopper

If you have doors or windows in your home that let in the cold winter air, here is a very simple draft stopper idea that I use. I purchased 1 yard of fleece fabric from the "bargain" table. This 36 inch length should work at any exterior door.

Leaving the fabric folded, roll it up and secure it in the middle and at each end, using ribbon, yarn, etc. Place it on the floor in front of your door. That's it! You can use complimentary colors to match your decor, too.

By Lori from Maryville, TN

Tip: Draft Stoppers With Stray Socks

We all have socks with mates that have disappeared in the big black hole where all socks go. Most people know that these unmatched socks make great dusters and cleaning rags but how about filling one tube sock with clean kitty litter and using it as a Draft stopper at the bottom of your door? One bag of cheap kitty litter costs about 3.00 bucks and can make many of these. These also can be used to block drafts on window sills in older homes as well.

By Debra in Colorado

Tip: Rag Rugs for Draft Stoppers

Instead of spending money on cute little draft stoppers to place at the bottom of your doors, make your own. You can roll up a scatter rug for each door, and secure it with string or yarn. I have a collection of "rag" rugs that I use for this purpose. They are perfect, and easy to roll. When the draft stoppers are no longer needed, I cut the strings, wash the rugs, and save them for next year.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Tip: Polar Fleece Draft Guard for Your Door

Fleece Draft GuardWith all the frigid weather in the northern parts of the U.S. I thought I'd better get this one online.

I got tired of my draft guard not staying where it belonged, next to the bottom of the door keeping the cold air out. It was either being moved by my cats or being pushed out of the way when I opened the door to leave. It would remain away from the door until it was noticed or I came back home.

I needed something that weighed enough to stay put but also would allow me to open and close with the door. Here's how I solved the problem.

Materials:

• Polar Fleece (I bought remnants - you will need a piece about 1 foot long and the width of your door)
  • Window shade (36 inches or as long as your door is wide)
  • Sewable Velcro strips

Directions:

Double the polar fleece and wrap it over the window shade. You can leave the plastic on it or tape it closed if you use an old one. A 2 inch dowel (36 inches long or a 2" x 2" x 36" piece of wood would also work.)

Put the material around the shade and mark or pin it where you would sew your seam.

The velcro is a little tricky. You will want to glue the velcro onto the door, or you could staple or tack it. Put it up an inch from the bottom.

Put the other side of the velcro on the polar fleece. On mine I had the seam on top and pinned the velcro on one side of the fleece near where the seam would be.

Make sure that the two sides of the velcro will stick to each other when you put the draft guard next to the door.

When you are sure it will work, stitch the velcro on, sew the long seam, either by hand or by machine. Insert the window shade and sew up the ends.

Fleece Draft Guard

Stick it to the door by matching up the velcro on the door and the velcro on the guard.

I hope I've explained this well enough. We made it last year and other than the cats occasionally pulling it away from the door or someone kicking it so it comes off the velcro, it has worked very well.

Fleece Draft Guard

Susan from ThriftyFun

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Tip: Making a Wind Stopper for the Winter

Hello from Canada!

If this winter, you need to stop cold air from entering under your door, simply stick paper tape to the bottom edge of the door. Not under the door but simply on the inside edge of the door. Close the door and use clear industrial silicone to fill the crack between the door and the floor. Put more silicone on the floor than on the door. Use a wet rag to make a nice long door stop and when it dries, open the door. The paper tape should pull away from the door and you will have to remove it from the silicone; but now you have a wind stopper for the winter.

By Joseph Raglione from Laval West, Quebec,Canada

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Making a Door Draft Stopper.

Question: Door Draft Stopper

I want to make a door draft stopper. Any ideas? Thank you.

By Barbara from Union Mills, NC

Most Recent Answer

By tammy carroll02/26/2011

I made my door draft stopper out of foam pipe insulating, it comes in sticks and is fairly cheap.
I made mine to look like the ones they advertise on t.v. Just make a long rectngle the size to fit your door(I used a leg from an old pair of jeans) then sew straight down the middle to form two long "pockets" then cut your foam to fit your door,slide foam into pockets and slide onto bottom of door. It stays put when you open & close the door.

Question: Using Pipe Covers as a Draft Stopper

I saw somewhere that you can use pipe covers to make a draft snake. Something to put between the doors to cut down on drafts. Does anyone know how to make one? Thank you.

By Margie from Lake Orion, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Veronica Hash12/07/2010

Pipe covers come with a slit on one side. Just open the slit, 'cover' the bottom of the door with the pipe cover; close the door and the pipe cover will stop any air from coming in or leaving.