Draft Stoppers With Stray Socks

We all have socks with mates that have disappeared in the big black hole where all socks go. Most people know that these unmatched socks make great dusters and cleaning rags but how about filling one tube sock with clean kitty litter and using it as a Draft stopper at the bottom of your door? One bag of cheap kitty litter costs about 3.00 bucks and can make many of these. These also can be used to block drafts on window sills in older homes as well.

By Debra in Colorado

By Jean (Guest Post)

I just LOVE this idea. I have a box full of socks missing their mates -- saving them for "something". Since I planned on making draft stoppers this year, I know now what those socks will be used for. THANKS!

By Rock_nj (Guest Post)

Draft socks will come in very handy this year with energy prices set to rise by 40% or more this winter. I know we'll be using draft socks to keep warm this winter. The first time in a long time that we've been concerned about our heating bill.

Will kitty litter work the same as the rice or beans heated in the microwave and applied to the neck or joints?

Just a hint...if you have cats, don't fill them with kitty litter! From experience, I have learned to use rice or beans, as the cats will rip apart the sock to get at the kitty litter! What a mess! Good idea if you don't have cats, though!

Stray socks are also great if you put an empty water bottle in a sock, sew or tie a knot at the end and your dog will love it. They love the sound.