Minimize Car Air Conditioner to Save Gas

As a mom, saving gas is very important. I have to drive kids to school, go to the office, drive to the grocery store, and pick up the kids again. I was like a wonder woman, driving fast just to keep on time.

Here is one tip I can share when using your car's air conditioner. I'll make sure if the weather is good and if it is windy, I don't use the air conditioner. I will just open the window. If it is a long drive or I'm going out of town, I also don't use my air conditioner. Because when you use air conditioning all the time, it uses gas faster!

To all drivers out there, especially moms, I hope this idea helps you a lot.

I read that with the car windows down creates a draft on the car that causes you to use more gasoline.

Syd

Anonymous

I live in the great state of Michigan. I also drive with my windows partially open on nice days. I don't drive that often so the cost of gas isn't a big issue. I don't care about the draft, all I care about is feeling warmth around me during our shorter warm months.

So true. Thank you Syd.

Anonymous

Using air conditioning does NOT use gas. I cant believe people still believe this. No gas is used to run a car air conditioner. Opened windows in a moving car, however causes drag, which will cause more gas to be used.

Anonymous

I almost always use my air-conditioner. It is the only place I have full control of air temp and I take full advantage of that!

I was reading today that the gas usage depends on a lot of variables: speed, condition of the engine, aerodynamics, etc. The windows cause drag but the engine needs to work harder to replace the power taken from the battery to run the A/C. If you are driving a long distance, the battery fills up and the A/C doesn't really cost you anything. If you are stopping and starting, the battery gets more use and you need more gas to charge it up.

I think you can suit yourself with this one. I don't like the too cold A/C so I only use it if it is too hot to bear without. And I love my moon roof!