Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Mower Won't Start

When your lawn mower won't start, the grass doesn't stop growing. Whether gas, air, spark or the pull starter, it can be frustrating. This is a guide about helping when your mower won't start.

December 23, 2016 Flag

I got a Bolens ST125 manual tranni just last year and it ran great, no problems. I rebuilt the carb and put new oil in it. I never had any problems; the machine ran like new. I also put in a new gas pump and cleaned out the engine shroud and put a new battery in it. One day I shut it off and it would not start. I lost all spark in both cylinders. I waited about a day and went to start it. It fired up perfectly. I went into my house and when I came back out it was off and the same thing happened. I had no spark in both cylinders. Can some one help me?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are all the vents cleared? That may be the problem.

Tried cleaning and re gaping the spark plugs, now I only have one cylinder sparking some of the time

Vents?? Do you mean cooling fins??

Yes I did clean them

February 23, 2014 Flag

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

Is the starter getting hot?

turn the top of mower by hand to see if it's froze up. Sometimes spinning the top gets some oil in there and un freezes it

I had that same problem. Turned out to be a bad starter.

January 30, 2017 Flag

I was cutting my lawn and when opening the box to let out the grass my lawn mower went dead. Nothing worked, I changed the fuse. It has a new battery. The starter fell out of position when it stopped. Could the starter be gone?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked your spark plug?

Lawn mower was running and I emptied the box .When I went to restart it battery which was new died .The battery wouldn't charge after it .I am wondering if there was a fault with ignition would it do damage to battery

Sounds like you may have problems with your starter not connecting properly. Do you have your manual? If so, that would be a good place to start searching. If you do not have a manual, you will have to do your own search as we do not have your mower type or model number.

Also, I would suggest calling your local Castle Garden dealer and see if they have any suggestions.

https://www.goo  lawnmower+manual

Thanks very much .I have made sure all the connections are fully tightened.New battery was completely dead and would not charge so replaced it with another New battery .I started it today so hoping battery was problem .Need to get a 10amp or 15amp fuse as 8amp in it and not sure if it's strong enough

September 7, 2016 Flag

My Toro #20073 mower has a new carb, new plug, and new filters. It runs fine for maybe one day, but the next it won't start unless I drain the gas tank. The lines are good and the tank seems to be clean.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does your tank have a breather valve if so you need to open it otherwise the tank becomes a vacuum and will stop the fuel flow

March 24, 2016 Flag

I have a Craftsman lawnmower and my problem is it won't start. I am getting spark and I'm getting gas to my carburetor, but the gas is not going into the carburetor and I didn't use it last Saturday and Sunday it stopped working and it won't start up again.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you taken out the filter and cleaned it? When mine gets dirty, I can have all the spark in the world but it won't start until I clean the air filter.I hope this helps.

Check the fuel bowl if the float gets stuck up it won't allow the gas to flow into the venturi thus no fuel to the piston

May 22, 2015 Flag

I cleaned my fuel lines out and rebuilt the starter and put clean fuel in the gas tank and put a $50.00 battery in. It sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. What do I do now?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you check/change your spark plug? Is the gap set correctly, and the connection points clean?

My husband fixes lawn mowers to supplement our Social Security and his says for you to check your plug and/or your carburetor.

Mine won't start until I change the air filter & squirt some carb cleaner in to the carb I do that before the first mowing of the year.

April 24, 2016 Flag

I took off the carb and cleaned it. I took out the air filter, changed the gas, and changed the plug. It started up. I used it for about 10 minutes and shut it off. Now it won't start again.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 13, 2015 Flag

I can't seem to get my lawnmower running. I spray starting fluid in the carburetor and it will run a second or two. Fuel is going through the hose leading to the carburater. I don't have a prime button. What might I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 31, 2011 Flag

I have a mower and when I pull the string sometimes it will jam up. This is killing my hand and shoulder and it also does not want to start. It tries to start, but all you see sometimes is white smoke coming out.

By Bryce from Round Rock, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Glen had the same problem with a mower last summer...after discussing it with his 80 year old father we all discovered that the 'jets or jet openings' inside of the mowers carberator were plugged up from trash that had been in the gas. They pulled the carberator, cleaned out all of it around inside and out, reassembelled it and the mower has run smooth since. Good luck though if your like me and not mechanically inclined you may need to go to someone who does this sort of thing on the side. IT would be less costly then replacing the mower itself though!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end p doing with your problem mower! Have a great day!

November 8, 2010 Flag

We put the edger gas (has oil mixture) into our new Toro lawnmower. We cleaned it out, but it still won't start. Help.

By Joyce from Tampa, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have any gas oil mix left in the mower I would siphon it out with a turkey baster, and then put on a new spark plug. It will smoke a lot and if you tipped it to get the gas out, it might be hard to start but it has not actually hurt the mower.

Does the mower have oil where it is supposed to?

Blessings,

Robyn

Home and Garden Repair ToolsAugust 6, 2014
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 5:53:24 PM on 10.0.0.250 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.