Mower Won't Start

Category Tools
Man Fixing Mower
When your lawn mower won't start, the grass doesn't stop growing. Whether gas, air, spark or the pull starter, it can be frustrating. This is a guide about helping when your mower won't start.

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Answer Was this helpful? 4
Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

If your mower "just clicks" , the click is the solenoid engaging. There are several reasons this could be happening.

1. The battery is weak and doesn't have enough power to turn the starter.

2. The starter is bad and will not turn over the engine.

3. The solenoid is bad and is engaging - the click - but isn't transferring the power to the starter.

4. if all of the previous item check out o.k. It could be a locked up (seized) engine.

No spark the plug will not fire

Anonymous

This advice is a bunch of alarmist bull crash. Proper diagnostic analysis, should start by eliminating the easiest, most cost effective possibilities before, the most expensive/complex repair, should be attempted.

This guy is advising you to completely overhaul your motor, before suggesting that you inspect the "kill" switches. If the battery's charge (sent by turning the key) gets interrupted before reaching the starter by one of the "kill"switches; you'll hear a snapping noise, caused by the ignition discharging "spark" into the frame.

File wiring

Kill switches for riding mowers locations as follows:

Under seat-Rider SAFETY switch

Under clutch- requires a depressed clutch to start

Under blade engagement lever-must be disengaged.

Look under the fender and be sure that the the wires and switches are all connected properly.

could be push rods too tight

Is the starter getting hot?

turn the top of mower by hand to see if it's froze up. Sometimes spinning the top gets some oil in there and un freezes it

I had that same problem. Turned out to be a bad starter.

I have a13.5 go Murray. I tried to start. It turned over about 1/2 turn and then stops hard, like seized up. Turn belt pulley, same thing. It started good last nite but now NOTHING now. James in NM.

Well this happened to my lawn mower and to start it I have to put the positive jumper cable on the positive side of the battery then just clip it to the nut on the side of the starter for it to start. Make sure the key is on and it should work it is a problem with the electrical system and does not need to be fixed if you can deal with the minor inconvenience of starting it with jumper cables. It will still turn off when you turn the key off. p.s. you must use the battery attached to the mower you can not use any battery and you must make sure you find someway to shut the sensor that says you are in the seat whether it be cutting the wire or disconnecting the spring that holds to plates together when you sit down so it will turn on.

If you think that a click is cause by carburetor then leave your troubles to a pro... a click is either a lack of power, the starter or battery... see if the motor will turn by hand... if so check the battery charge then the starter... carbs heard it all now

Check the starter first make sure it's not stuck. Rotate the top of the fly wheel if it doesn't rotate then that's your problem

I got a Bolens ST125 manual tranni just last year and it ran great, no problems. I rebuilt the carb and put new oil in it. I never had any problems; the machine ran like new. I also put in a new gas pump and cleaned out the engine shroud and put a new battery in it. One day I shut it off and it would not start. I lost all spark in both cylinders. I waited about a day and went to start it. It fired up perfectly. I went into my house and when I came back out it was off and the same thing happened. I had no spark in both cylinders. Can some one help me?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Sounds like dirty spark plug trouble, or you may need a new fuel filter.

Are all the vents cleared? That may be the problem.

Tried cleaning and re gaping the spark plugs, now I only have one cylinder sparking some of the time

Vents?? Do you mean cooling fins??

Yes I did clean them

Anyone know the normal operating temp of a oppose twin 12 1/2 H.P. I/C air cooled engine??

I was cutting my lawn and when opening the box to let out the grass my lawn mower went dead. Nothing worked, I changed the fuse. It has a new battery. The starter fell out of position when it stopped. Could the starter be gone?

Have you checked your spark plug?

Lawn mower was running and I emptied the box .When I went to restart it battery which was new died .The battery wouldn't charge after it .I am wondering if there was a fault with ignition would it do damage to battery

Sounds like you may have problems with your starter not connecting properly. Do you have your manual? If so, that would be a good place to start searching. If you do not have a manual, you will have to do your own search as we do not have your mower type or model number.

Also, I would suggest calling your local Castle Garden dealer and see if they have any suggestions.

https://www.goo  lawnmower+manual

Thanks very much .I have made sure all the connections are fully tightened.New battery was completely dead and would not charge so replaced it with another New battery .I started it today so hoping battery was problem .Need to get a 10amp or 15amp fuse as 8amp in it and not sure if it's strong enough

Ya I did .i found a loose connection,also put in a new battery and its starting.It looks like the starter is the prob .Theres a humming noise coming from mower when I start it .i think this is draining the battery.

I cleaned my fuel lines out and rebuilt the starter and put clean fuel in the gas tank and put a $50.00 battery in. It sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. What do I do now?

Did you check/change your spark plug? Is the gap set correctly, and the connection points clean?

My husband fixes lawn mowers to supplement our Social Security and his says for you to check your plug and/or your carburetor.

Mine won't start until I change the air filter & squirt some carb cleaner in to the carb I do that before the first mowing of the year.

I have a Craftsman lawnmower and my problem is it won't start. I am getting spark and I'm getting gas to my carburetor, but the gas is not going into the carburetor and I didn't use it last Saturday and Sunday it stopped working and it won't start up again.

Anonymous

Have you taken out the filter and cleaned it? When mine gets dirty, I can have all the spark in the world but it won't start until I clean the air filter.I hope this helps.

Check the fuel bowl if the float gets stuck up it won't allow the gas to flow into the venturi thus no fuel to the piston

My Toro #20073 mower has a new carb, new plug, and new filters. It runs fine for maybe one day, but the next it won't start unless I drain the gas tank. The lines are good and the tank seems to be clean.

Does your tank have a breather valve if so you need to open it otherwise the tank becomes a vacuum and will stop the fuel flow

I have a mower and when I pull the string sometimes it will jam up. This is killing my hand and shoulder and it also does not want to start. It tries to start, but all you see sometimes is white smoke coming out.

By Bryce from Round Rock, TX

Glen had the same problem with a mower last summer...after discussing it with his 80 year old father we all discovered that the 'jets or jet openings' inside of the mowers carberator were plugged up from trash that had been in the gas. They pulled the carberator, cleaned out all of it around inside and out, reassembelled it and the mower has run smooth since. Good luck though if your like me and not mechanically inclined you may need to go to someone who does this sort of thing on the side. IT would be less costly then replacing the mower itself though!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end p doing with your problem mower! Have a great day!

We put the edger gas (has oil mixture) into our new Toro lawnmower. We cleaned it out, but it still won't start. Help.

By Joyce from Tampa, FL

If you have any gas oil mix left in the mower I would siphon it out with a turkey baster, and then put on a new spark plug. It will smoke a lot and if you tipped it to get the gas out, it might be hard to start but it has not actually hurt the mower.

Does the mower have oil where it is supposed to?

Blessings,

Robyn

I took off the carb and cleaned it. I took out the air filter, changed the gas, and changed the plug. It started up. I used it for about 10 minutes and shut it off. Now it won't start again.

I can't seem to get my lawnmower running. I spray starting fluid in the carburetor and it will run a second or two. Fuel is going through the hose leading to the carburater. I don't have a prime button. What might I do?