Not Losing Weight While Dieting

I am an insulin dependent diabetic and desperately want to lose some weight. (I need to lose 28 lbs.) I am finding it really difficult and have only lost 1 lb in 2 weeks despite following weight watchers to the letter and exercising for an hour 3 times a week. I am feeling really demoralized and would really love a few words of wisdom! Has anyone else had this problem and how did they overcome it?

Julie from Near London, UK

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

Two things may be happening. If you're exercising, you may be replacing fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. You will know this is happening because your measurements will reduce. Or if you are drinking your 8 glasses of water, it could be water weight. Most people are unknowingly dehydrated and when they begin drinking 8 glasses of water a day they will gain weight.

The best method to determine true weight lose is to get the scales that figure your body fat percentage. That way you'll know you're losing fat and won't get discouraged if the overall number doesn't go down. You can buy these scales at Walmart and I don't think they are that expensive.

Hope this helps. (11/03/2005)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

I know 3 hours of exercise a week seems like a lot, but if your goal is weight loss, 3 hours a week is probably not enough. I eventually lost 60 pounds by walking 30 minutes a day, seven days a week. Before I lost that amount total, I hit a plateau that I just couldn't shake. At that point, I gradually increased my amount of walking until I was up to 1 hour a day, seven days a week. When I increased the time walked, the weight started to come off again. To lose the weight, I either had to decrease caloric intake or increase the calories burned, and since I felt I had cut out as much calories as I reasonably wanted to, I chose the increase in exercise, which I thought would be easier for me to stick to. If you bump up your exercise amount, you will start to lose weight. Losing weight is super hard to do, so I wish you good luck! (11/03/2005)

By truerblue

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

I am a type 2 diabetic who needed to lose weight. I lost 35 lbs. by buying a stationary bike and riding it for at least 15 to 20 miles per day. There was no change in my diet. I broke up the times in a day that I rode by doing 5 miles in the morning and usually spread the time out during the day or early evening. Hope this helps. Lots of luck. (11/04/2005)

By sewingmamma

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

Get the book "Natural Cures They Don't Want You To know About" by Kevin Trudeau. I guarantee the info in that book will help you to lose the weight you want to lose. Good luck! (11/04/2005)

By Caroline

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

Actually, one half to one pound of weight loss a week is considered a healthy rate of loss. You have a better chance of keeping it off if you don't drop a lot at once. At least that is what I hear ! I certainly wouldn't know, unfortunately. :) (11/04/2005)

By Cindy S.

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

Keep it up. Don't get discouraged. I am very overweight but have dieted many times. Each time I only would get rid of about 1 lb per week but yes that is the way it comes off. Not that I have kept it off but I know that is how it happens. (11/04/2005)

By Sandy

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

My husband and a friend, who was recently diagnosed, changed their diet, which is a low carb diet. Diet and losing weight is the key.

My husband lost 35 pounds and has maintained his weight and the friend lost 65 pounds, by changing to the diabetic diet.

These are some of the worst things for diabetics, while you can have some, keeping total carbs to 30 per meal seems to be the key. Pastas, rice, breads, potatoes, cakes, cookies, etc.; eliminate the white flour in your diet. All the things you love! The carbs increase your triglycerides that increase your diabetic readings. You don't sit down to a big plate of spaghetti and eat lots of garlic bread and a high carb dessert!

Also, for beer drinkers, Miller light has the least carbs.

It is just a matter of educating yourself. There are a lot of books at the library on diabetes. I hope this information is helpful.

By syd

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

Weight Watchers is a healthy and very doable diet plan for Type I diabetics. Up the amount of water you are drinking. Hang in there and it will come off slowly. Remember it didn't go on fast. (11/04/2005)

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

I agree with Caroline. I was struggling too with losing weight no matter what I tried. Kevin Trudeau talks about cleanses in his book and they have worked wonders for me! You may want to try a colon cleanse and a candida cleanse to rid your body of toxins and waste that prevent your body from dropping weight. Don't give up! (11/07/2005)

By sandylady

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

I had exactly the same problem and went to a Chinese medicine practitioner. He placed me on a cleansing program which removed toxins from my body, especially my liver, and I am now losing 1-2 pounds a week. If you'd prefer to do it on your own, many stores now carry these programs. Just be sure to get one that allows you to eat a wide variety of foods, both for health and sanity reasons! (11/11/2005)

By Connie Brown

Not Losing Weight While Dieting

I'm not sure if this will help you, but since it helped me I'm mentioning it in case. Do not drink soda or carbonated beverages, diet or otherwise. When I stopped drinking sodas I started losing right away. I didn't realize the soda was making me feel bloated and fat which made me think my dieting had already failed. When I gave it up, I didn't have that sensation and my tummy got flatter which gave me incentive to keep going. Good luck! (11/23/2005)

By Anna

Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
A woman trying to choose between an apple or a cupcake.
Dieting Tips and Tricks
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks