Browsing: Organizing Keepsakes and Memorabilia

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing Keepsakes and Memorabilia

Birth and wedding announcements, photos, and other keepsakes can be enjoyed more easily if you develop a creative or practical way of organizing them. This is a guide about organizing keepsakes and memorabilia.

Organized Photos in Box
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 9, 2010 Flag

I have a memory board. On it, I place pictures of people who have gone to heaven, special obituaries, corsages of my daughters' weddings, a metro card from my trip to New York, old badges from jobs I had and loved, small slips of paper that my children have written over the years that shows me they love me, necklaces from friends, co-workers, and families of deceased people.

I can look at it any time and remember all the good things that people have taught me or the love I felt when one of my four daughters was married. It's just a cork board but it means more to me than a huge bank account ever could. Why not start your own? Makes for a great day starter to jump start your heart and warm your soul.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

August 16, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to organize photos and keepsakes? I am a bit too lazy to do scrapbooking, is there a lazy person's way to having nice albums? Is it best practice to put all photos and keepsakes in albums or do people have other methods? I would love to hear your ideas.

By Stellabell from Manchester, WA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

What is wrong with just putting them in photo albums like people used. You can buy photo albums that have pockets in the pages for 4x6" photos and a border on the side to write information on. I have these photo albums and when I have smaller photos I put two in one compartment. I do, do scrapbooking too, but I make photocopies of the the photos for that.

Best Answer

You can purchase ready made photo boxes at most dollar stores, or make your own from shoe boxes covered with nice paper of your choice, to match your decor. Then you can make dividers if you want, out of manilla folders, cut to fit the boxes, and leaving a tab on which to write the date, year, occasion, etc. Then the boxes look nice and can be left out for everyone to look through.

I used a A-Z alphabetizer and put post-its on the letters with my kids names and other family names, Sorted all the picutres according, then when they were all sorted I removed one of kids photos then sorted from newborn to present.

I couldn't find photo albums that I liked so I use 3 ring binders with the pockets in the front and back and put a baby picture and Graduation picture on the front cover pocket, it took a long time but the shelves look so much better

September 10, 2010 Flag

My daughter came up with the best idea to save her 2 1/2 year old twin boys artwork! They do some kind of art project nearly every day, and the papers were really beginning to pile up at home!

Binder for Saving School Keepsakes

September 11, 2013 Flag

If you have children, you probably have boxes and scrapbooks of things your children made in school that you are keeping. Have you ever wished you had a better way to keep these treasures without having boxes full of these things?

I recently decided to downsize. With that job comes the problem of 'what should I keep and what should I get rid of'? Relax, there is an easy solution to this problem. Why not keep them all? Just get out your digital camera and photograph them? It's an easy way to keep all your treasures without all the storage boxes, just put the pictures of them in a photo album or on a disc.

May 13, 2010 Flag

When a new baby is born in the family, keep the local newspaper that the announcement appears in. Hopefully, this will occur the same day the baby is born. Sometimes the announcements are the next day, depending on the time of birth.

May 5, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know of someone that laminates obituaries or funeral notices? I just lost my nephew, 2 years old, and I wanted to get some made for the family. I use to get them made with a company in TN, and they closed up.
Thanks for your time.

By Diana

I am so sorry for your loss.

I would advise against laminating, actually. Laminate is terrible for paper - it is corrosive, and newspaper is so acidic that the two of them combined is disastrous if you're trying to preserve the clipping. Instead, I would photocopy the notice onto acid-free paper and frame it in a glass (not plastic) frame (I mean make sure glass covers the image.) If you want to give out original clippings it is better to leave the clipping open to the air rather than laminate it.

The funeral home where my father was laid out made ours. It was part of their package, I guess. You might try asking at some funeral homes in the area. Perhaps they could give you a lead.

Office Depot also carries do-it-yourself laminate sheets; they're in the section with address labels and other specialty printing stuff ( like tee shirt transfer paper, magnetic sign stock, things like that.)

Try your local library. Many have laminating machines. If they do not, they probably know where you can go locally to have it done.

Read More Answers...

March 9, 2005 Flag

I would like to preserve my father's obituary. Can you give me some suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thank you,
Peggy

I would suggest using Archival Mist to prevent it from yellowing. Target carries it in the scrapbooking section. Also, you might want to store it in a small, acid-free photo album to further protect it. You could also scan it and store an image on the computer.

Hi Peg

Sorry about the loss of your father - that's tough. Our local paper carries the obituaries on line and I print them up - you get a permanent record of the obit and the paper is less likely to yellow with age.

My sister just died and i am looking for the company that preserves the obituary. I had it done for my parents years ago and can't find the address anywhere. If anyone knows of this company i would really appreciate it. Its really nice, I have had my moms since 1987 and looks like new still. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Cadee Inc. Laminated Memories preserves obituaries on your choice of bookmark styles. Color or black & white photos may be added, and a lovely verse of your choice as well. The address is http://www.cadeeinc.com

Good luck!

Read More Answers...

April 13, 2012 Flag

I save obituaries and put them into a small photo album. I made a label for it that says "Obituaries."

October 22, 2010 Flag

Turn a shoe cubby into a cutting station for scrapbooking or for a place for filing your genealogy, family history information, and family photos in.

July 9, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a memory photo board. Does anyone make these? I'm needing one that will hold several photos.

Organizing MiscellaneousFebruary 8, 2013
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Displaying Concert Ticket Stubs
Displaying Concert Ticket Stubs
Children's Handprint Crafts
Children's Handprint Crafts
Family Looking at London Snow Globe
Preserving Memorabilia
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 11, 2016 at 2:16:42 PM on 10.0.0.87 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.