Browsing: Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Mobile homes, especially older ones, have walls that are not the traditional drywall construction found in stick built houses. This is a guide about painting walls in a mobile home.

Painting Walls
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 10, 2015 Flag

I am remodeling my mobile home. I read the answers to painting walls in a mobile home. You said to prime them first. Can you use a paint with the primer already in it to repaint the walls? These walls are not vinyl.

Thanks a bunch.

God bless.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unless they have been successfully painted before, in a similar color to what you plan to paint them, I'd prime them. When you purchase paint with primer, it is under the assumption that you are just freshening up previously painted walls in a like tone. If the walls are dark or bright and you want to paint them pastel or white, or vice versa, you have to prime to avoid needing more than 2 coats to cover, and if the walls have never been painted, you need to prime to avoid any unevenness or peeling disasters.

After you have done it the first time though, unless you make a drastic color change in the future you will be able to just use paint with primer and be done with it. These are things I learned working in the paint department at a home improvement store, both from the training there and from the contractors who come in to order paint. Priming this one time, although it adds a bit more work, may prevent more work in the future, and removes a lot of unknown variables from your project. Better safe than sorry!

Wash walls down first and let dry. Use two coats of Kilz primer paint and then paint whatever color you like. No original colors will bleed through. This is the way to go and I spoke to someone recently who used this how to method and it turned out great. I have an outdated printed vinyl coating on our walls and this is how I am going to do ours, so it's more updated looking and gives me more color options for a change.

December 21, 2013 Flag

I have a mobile home with pre-printed drywall. The previous owner painted over it and now it's flaking. I can't remove it with a scraper without destroying the wall what is my best option for removal without destroying the wall?

By Dustin

P.S. Just to let you know paint dose not adhere to glossy surfaces. That is why the previous owners paint is peeling off the wall. He should have primed the wall before painting it.

I would apply some adhesive to the flaked walls before applying kilz .

It comes in a 1 gallon paint can and goes on just like paint. I did my bathroom ceiling , but because the flaking on my ceiling caused uneven spots , I had to even it out with mud and then apply the adhesive to keep it from flaking then you can paint right over the adhesive or if it would make you feel better kilz it , then paint . Good luck . Ps.. adhesive in the gallon or pint , we found at Menards in the paint department.

Read More Answers...

August 6, 2014 Flag

How can I paint over vinyl mobile home walls?

By Grace

I don't think this is something you should attempt. If you insist on it, contact a very reliable paint company and ask if they have a product that will work. I am very skeptical.

There is nothing to fear. You just need good paint and rollers. It's no different than painting over paneling. Make sure they are clean, using some TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) and you can also find help here.

http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.co ... ng-walls-in-mobile-trailer-home.html

October 2, 2013 Flag

I have a mobile home that was build with the flowered wall panels on the walls, but the flowered walls have been painted over. So the question is how to remove the paint and go back to the flowered walls?

By Kakkie

Why would you actually want the flowers there? I have them now and getting ready to paint over them!

I would like to suggest you dont try to remove the flower panels. Go to resurfacing. I think resurfacing is easier than removing. Use primer and then paint.

August 12, 2013 Flag

I want to paint the ceiling in our mobile home, but my husband is insisting it can't be done, as it is not dry wall. I would like it white and not the cream it is now. I believe it is vinyl. What prep and paint can I use?

By Diana

Many of the ceilings that I have seen in mobile homes are a vinyl hardboard that I do not think one can paint. You could inquire at a quality paint store where the staff actually know about paint, but I think that you will find that your husband is correct. If it is a vinyl coated board, I think you are just asking for a mess if you try to paint it.

Hi - you can probably find out - for sure - at a store that specializes in mobile home items.

March 27, 2012 Flag

Has anyone painted leaving the wall strips on in a mobile home? They are ugly, but I was wondering if I just painted them the same color as the walls what it would look like. Please post pictures if you have them.

By Bonita M.

We just did the same thing last year. We took down all the strips, spackled and taped the seams and bought a special "bonding" base at Sherwin Williams and then painted 2 coats over that. It looks beautiful. We did it in every room. No one can believe its not sheetrock. p.s. Be sure your home is good and level so that the seams don't crack if you have to re-level. Some of ours cracked but wasn't a big deal. We just re-spackled and painted the seams.

I just did this last weekend in my laundry area and it looks so nice and clean

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2014 Flag

What is best method to use when painting walls of moble home? I'm using a semi gloss with kilts primer. Should I use paint roller, brushes or a spray gun?

By D. Sangster from Dallas, TX

We went thru this last year and this is what worked for us. If you have the prefab walls, the problem is the gloss and pattern in the walls shines through. Using a roller, apply 1 coat of Kilz vertically and let dry. Apply a 2nd coat of Kilz horizontally and let dry (we used a roller for this as well). Then paint as normal. for some reason the horizontal really covered the shine and pattern of the prefab wall. Good Luck!

March 14, 2008 Flag

I rent a mobile home. I painted and stenciled one bathroom. It looks pretty good. For bigger rooms, what do you do with the spaces/panels? Do they spackel well? Wallpaper is not in my budget. Thanks in advance.

April 10, 2014 Flag

I stripper wallpaper that was put over vinyl wallboard in my mfg home. I want to paint now and one painter suggested to paint over the backing of wallpaper, which is smooth. Or do I strip off the backing and take a chance on pitting or marking the vinyl wall board?

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJanuary 28, 2013
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Condensation in Mobile Home
Condensation in Mobile Home
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 3:14:57 PM on 10.0.0.34 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.