Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Mobile homes, especially older ones, have walls that are not the traditional drywall construction found in stick built houses. This is a guide about painting walls in a mobile home.

Painting Walls
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am remodeling my mobile home. I read the answers to painting walls in a mobile home. You said to prime them first. Can you use a paint with the primer already in it to repaint the walls? These walls are not vinyl.

Thanks a bunch.

God bless.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wash walls down first and let dry. Use two coats of Kilz primer paint and then paint whatever color you like. No original colors will bleed through. This is the way to go and I spoke to someone recently who used this how to method and it turned out great. I have an outdated printed vinyl coating on our walls and this is how I am going to do ours, so it's more updated looking and gives me more color options for a change.

Read More Answers...

How can I paint over vinyl mobile home walls?

By Grace

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is nothing to fear. You just need good paint and rollers. It's no different than painting over paneling. Make sure they are clean, using some TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) and you can also find help here.

http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.co ... ng-walls-in-mobile-trailer-home.html

Read More Answers...

I have a mobile home with pre-printed drywall. The previous owner painted over it and now it's flaking. I can't remove it with a scraper without destroying the wall what is my best option for removal without destroying the wall?

By Dustin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

P.S. Just to let you know paint dose not adhere to glossy surfaces. That is why the previous owners paint is peeling off the wall. He should have primed the wall before painting it.

Read More Answers...

I have a mobile home that was build with the flowered wall panels on the walls, but the flowered walls have been painted over. So the question is how to remove the paint and go back to the flowered walls?

By Kakkie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to suggest you dont try to remove the flower panels. Go to resurfacing. I think resurfacing is easier than removing. Use primer and then paint.

Read More Answers...

I want to paint the ceiling in our mobile home, but my husband is insisting it can't be done, as it is not dry wall. I would like it white and not the cream it is now. I believe it is vinyl. What prep and paint can I use?

By Diana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - you can probably find out - for sure - at a store that specializes in mobile home items.

Read More Answers...

What is best method to use when painting walls of moble home? I'm using a semi gloss with kilts primer. Should I use paint roller, brushes or a spray gun?

By D. Sangster from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We went thru this last year and this is what worked for us. If you have the prefab walls, the problem is the gloss and pattern in the walls shines through. Using a roller, apply 1 coat of Kilz vertically and let dry. Apply a 2nd coat of Kilz horizontally and let dry (we used a roller for this as well). Then paint as normal. for some reason the horizontal really covered the shine and pattern of the prefab wall. Good Luck!

I stripper wallpaper that was put over vinyl wallboard in my mfg home. I want to paint now and one painter suggested to paint over the backing of wallpaper, which is smooth. Or do I strip off the backing and take a chance on pitting or marking the vinyl wall board?

By Janice G from Winter Haven, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would just paint over the backing. I did this and used a spray 'texturizer' to make it look like the other painted walls. It comes in a big spray can and you just spray the wall with it to make it look texturized. Works great. Then I used 'kiltz' and painted - looks just fine! Can find it at the big box stores!

I rent a mobile home. I painted and stenciled one bathroom. It looks pretty good. For bigger rooms, what do you do with the spaces/panels? Do they spackel well? Wallpaper is not in my budget. Thanks in advance.

Keeper from NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a lot of cool things you can do with these homes. We purchased a 2100 sq.' manufactured home for 55,000 that needed some updating. Our budget was limited but I feel that we got a lot for our money. First, we removed the tack strips. We filled the seams with a flexible caulk then joint compound.

After we lightly sanded the walls we painted. I used a 1/2" roller for the walls. I did leave the strips on some of the corners for protection. My home did not have much wood work so I did purchase and add some from a store. We did change all of the moldings to white including the kitchen cabinets and fire place. The results were incredible.

We also took apart those fake brass ceiling fans and sprayed on a faux finish ( white, dark brown). I did not do much with the ceiling. I just painted it white and added some fixtures. We got rid of those plastic bathroom sinks. We replaced them with new sinks and faucets for about 70.00 each. I also added ceramic tile back splashes to each counter in the house and new cabinet hardware. I did all of this work myself and the materials ran me around 800 bucks.

I wish I could post the before and after pics for you to see. The house is transformed and it looks like a residential "stick built" home. My friends and family can't believe the results. I do not feel like I am in a manufactured home. It is worth the investment! I would tell everyone to buy a manufactured home. It makes good economic sense in these harder times.

Read More Answers...

In taking off the panel spacers, I found that the gaps are about 1/4 inch. The existing panels have beveled edges. So I have to put a lot of putty/float in the gaps. Is there something else I can do? Help!

By Curly from Freer, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem. Filling it with Spackle will not work sadly, Even when it looks level and smooth when you go to paint u will see where the gap was. There will be an indent. I would use a filler such as a flexible caulk to fill it in most of the way then spackle over it. Depending on how wide your gaps are it may be beneficial to cut a strip of wood for a filler then spackle over it. Just make sure you wait for 48 hrs for your compound to dry and harden. Its recommended for 24 but with the amount of compound you will need you will need to wait longer.

Has anyone painted leaving the wall strips on in a mobile home? They are ugly, but I was wondering if I just painted them the same color as the walls what it would look like. Please post pictures if you have them.

By Bonita M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We just did the same thing last year. We took down all the strips, spackled and taped the seams and bought a special "bonding" base at Sherwin Williams and then painted 2 coats over that. It looks beautiful. We did it in every room. No one can believe its not sheetrock. p.s. Be sure your home is good and level so that the seams don't crack if you have to re-level. Some of ours cracked but wasn't a big deal. We just re-spackled and painted the seams.

Read More Answers...

What type of paint do you use to paint over prepasted mobile home wall board?

By Naomi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've done it by first thoroughly wiping every square inch of the wallboard with TSP or straight vinegar. Doing so roughs the surface enough for new paint to adhere.

Then I used a top quality primer like Kilz - two coats if the pattern shows through is enough to cover the old pattern and finish preparing the surface for the decorator colour.

(If done properly, your primer adheres to the original surface so the decorator colour can adhere to the primer so you get a lovely, even, long-lasting coverage)

And then I applied the decorator colour. Looked great and lasted years:) Be sure to read the labelled instructions on everything you use on the walls for best results.

I have textured mobile home walls. I want to take the strips down and mud the gaps. How do I do this with the light texture on the walls? Has anyone ever done this before? Please let me know.

By Jennifer from KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've painted mobile home walls. The finish on these walls are usually made of vinyl, therefore need to be primed.(Ask your local paint store what kind to use.) The strips have to stay there inasmuch as they are covering the panel ends. You will probably have to replace the mud strips with new as they will more than likely break if you try to remove them. Mine couldn't be painted over because they have a paper coating on them. Good Luck

How do you paint the walls in a mobile home? We are trying to update my boyfriend's mobile home, which is about 10 years old. The walls have these strips of plastic type stuff every 3 feet or so, and I don't know how to get wallpaper out from under those strips or how to paint them and make it look good. Do I have to pull the plastic strips off? And what is the purpose of them, anyway?

Abby from Pensacola, FL

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

The plastic strips you mentioned, are covering for the spaces between the panels. Removing them and spackeling them will give you a smooth surface to make the walls look better. A pro painter also recommends using Binz or Kilz. Thinking of doing the same. Being a smoker, I have washed the walls using window cleaner. It doesn't leave a film like some cleaners do. (11/12/2007)

By suem1009

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

I am an asthmatic, and very sensitive to strong smelling substances like Kilz. Is there something a little more tame on the smell department? I have to just use paint and sand paper, and an open window now in my trailer.
    I've painted almost every room in my 1988 trailer, it sure does help the looks. Accenting with border does too.
    (11/12/2007)

By glinda

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Abby,

We painted the walls and ceilings in a mobile home 10 years ago and they still look fine. We painted the cheesy paneling, the wallpaper, both matte and shiny, and the plastic strips. We defied the experts and primed with water based primer, Bullseye 123, then a good quality paint. It's held up beautifully, even in areas that get regular scrubbing. We didn't sand anything. Most rooms required 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. The exception was the wallpaper in my bedroom. This was the stuff that came permanently adhered to the sheet rock with strips between the panels. It had very dark brown dogwood branches that took 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint to cover. Removing the strips wasn't an option. I also live in FL, south of Tallahassee, and the sandy soil means mobile homes never stay level. Re-level them and it lasts about a week. Extensive spackel would have cracked. The strips seem to blend in with the wall when they're painted. We used satin finish paint on the walls and ceiling paint on the weird ceilings.

The vaulted ceilings in this old trailer are prone to mold and mildew from a lack of air circulation between them and the roof. Several times a year we have to go over them with a strong bleach solution, actually 1/2 and 1/2 water/bleach. The water based primer and paint are still holding up fine, even under that assault. The ceilings have long acoustical like panels with plastic strip on the edges. We primed and painted the whole thing with the same stuff.

Lou from Crawfordville, FL (11/12/2007)

By Miz Lou

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Batten strips on walls and a lack of "real" moldings and baseboards scream mobile home. I have used two techniques to solve the wall problem. My son taped and floated every seam in the living room and dining room. It was a nightmare of sheet rock dust, and took several days, but the results were beautiful and has remained flawless for over 2 years. However, he does this for a living and his results far exceed those of the average homeowner.

Another easier and cleaner technique I used in the bedrooms was to remove all batten strips, and hammer in any remaining trim nails. I used a razor blade to lightly score and peel off any wrinkled, loose or damaged vinyl from the wallboard. Then I applied textured, prepasted wallpaper from Lowes that is specifically made to bridge the uneven surfaces of paneling, block, etc. I selected a very light texture that ended up looking like linen on the walls ($11 per roll). I followed the manufacturer's directions, and used a cheap plastic wallpaper smoothing tool to smooth out bubbles without pushing the paper into the cracks. It's easy to apply, just don't overlap the seams. Even a tiny overlap will show. You can see through the paper when wet, but once dry, it's pure white and flaws are greatly minimized.

I let dry overnight and then painted with two coats of satin paint. The paper bridged the vertical gaps between the wall panels beautifully, because the weight of this special paper prevents it from falling into the gaps between the wall panels. Finally, I always apply pre-primed baseboards, and window/door moldings to complete the update. Don't scrimp on size, i.e., 3-4 inch baseboards look good. If you don't have an electric miter saw $15 will buy a miter box and handsaw that will work just as well. Tip, if your window frames are attached with hex head screws, remove and replace with sheet rock screws before applying window moldings so they will lay flat against the wall. Also a high-adhesive primer and white paint can make the cheap hollow-core, fake wood doors look better too. (01/12/2008)

By KoiFlowers

RE: Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How should mobile home wallboard be treated before painting?

Shae from Mooresville, NC

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

It's a great look, Shae. Check with your local hardware store? The staff are usually quite knowledgeable. As far as I recall, all we did was make sure the wallboard was clean.

Good luck!

Rose Anne (11/02/2006)

By wordswork

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

From our experience. You need a good primer like Klitz or Oops. We painted it with that and then painted a color and they look great. (11/02/2006)

By Michele

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

I like semi-gloss. So, take some light sandpaper, scuff the wall board a little. I used mildew proof semi-gloss on kitchen and bath. And had no trouble. Just on the first painting, you'll have to do two layers to allow for soaking in. I've also painted paneling like this. (11/02/2006)

By glinda

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Kilz now comes in colors so you don't have to prime then paint again. I used it in my kitchen and loved it. Wal-mart carries it. I don't know who else does. (11/03/2006)

By Carla

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Zinser makes a primer called BIN. I have used it to prime everything from unfinished wood to formica. It works like a charm and the paint sticks like white on rice. So very worth the price! Get it at Home Depot and Lowes. Maybe other places too. (11/08/2006)

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

WOW! I didn't know that Killz comes in colors! Thanks for that info!! :) (11/08/2006)

By Ariela

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Kilz in colors works well and I have also used a Ralph Lauren from Home Depot ($5 Oops can) of sand paint. That was amazing one coat coverage and looked beautiful! Best wishes!! (11/14/2006)

By LindaLou

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF DOING THIS OURSELVES. WE JUST PAINTED RIGHT OVER THE WALLS.IT LOOKS GOOD.AND JUST A THOUGHT DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN ACTUALLY HAVE THE KILZ OR PRIMER TINTED A SPECIFIC COLOR? WOULDN'T NECESSARILY NEED TO BUY PAINT THEN (11/15/2006)

By IMAQT1962

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Does Killz need to be sanded or smoothed or what ever? Once on the wall isn't it sort of powerdy, doesn't it show powerdy on your hand when touched? (11/15/2006)

By Ariela

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

KILZ IS JUST LIKE USING PAINT. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE SMOOTHED OR SANDED AND WON'T BE POWDERY UNLESS YOU'VE SANDED IT(WHICH YOU DON'T NEED TO DO)IF YOU SAND ANYTHING YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TAKE A CLOTH AND WIPE IT OFF.

OUR LOCAL HARDWARE STORE TINTED OUR KILZ FOR US BECAUSE WE WANTED A SPECIFIC COLOR,THEY HAD A MACHINE THAT IF YOU TOOK SOMETHING IN OR PICKED A COLOR FROM A COLOR CHART THEY CAN MATCH IT. WE DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO PAINT OVER IT AND YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL IT WAS A PRIMER AND NOT A PAINT (11/16/2006)

By

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

Does Klitz primer come in Semi- Gloss? The Mobile Home we are buying is very smoked damage from the lady smoking Cigarettes. I was told to use the Klitz primer then paint over it but I can get it in Semi- Gloss that would be a big help and cheaper on us. I like the shine from the Semi-Gloss plus you can wipe it off. Please let me know if anyone can help us on this little project.
    Thank You,
    (11/21/2006)

By Tammy

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

I would also like to know if Kilz comes in semi-gloss or if
    semi-gloss paint can be added to it to get the sheen or something else can be done to get the ease of cleaning, thanks. (11/21/2006)

By Ariela

Painting Walls in a Mobile Home

We are moving into a modular home where heavy smokers lived. Can you paint the walls of a modular home? Or will it leave wrinkles in the wall? How do I go about doing this? My email address is southernvkb AT hotmail.com (11/09/2007)

By Vickie Brooks

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJanuary 28, 2013
    Mobile Homes in Snow
    Winterizing Your Mobile Home
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
    Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
    Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
    Condensation in Mobile Home
    Condensation in Mobile Home
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 2, 2016 at 11:06:34 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 418 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.